Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Miley Cyrus is like a bird.

The whole of the VMAs was so cringeworthy. Nicki Minaj, Miley Cyrus, the Kardashians, Kanye's bizarre rambling... they're all classless. I don't care if it's for publicity or if it's manufactured (hello, the pairing of Taylor Swift and Nicki Minaj after the twitter scuffle) or if they genuinely hate each other, it's all so childish. I've unfollowed so many gays on Twitter who are gagging over the whole thing and praising Nicki and saying stupid shit like, "YASS BITCH DRAG HER." klajsdkjasd. I need Dan's DIAF meme of the guy set ablaze.

I've definitely, officially, aged out of the VMAs demographics. It was the worst lineup I've seen. I didn't watch the whole thing, only a few of the performances and the Miley/Nicki moment, but I don't need to.

Ryan, I definitely think you'd enjoy some of the songs on this album that trend more towards country with hints of Lana Del Rey. Although not sure if you enjoy Miley's voice or not. If you find it charmless like Andrew, you won't. But I personally think it's rich and love her tone.

Believe it or not I'm playing it and I didn't mind Karen Don't Be Sad. I had to pause it to answer a call for work but I'm definitely going to check out the rest. She may not have an incredible vocal range but I don't find her any less capable than someone like, say, Madonna. My problem with her is mainly her grating personality (like all of last night's hosting gig). Obviously that won't prevent me from enjoying the album if it's catchy.

I didn't watch the VMAs. I think all musician feuds are stupid. Always have, always will. But....the album is kind of amazing.

Obviously far from flawless. I mean, 93 minutes? You all know how I feel about long-ass albums. And the first few ballads, while pretty, didn't really grab me. But after "Fuckin Fucked Up", it really started to kick in for me. I mean, it's fuckin art pop. It's Miley stretching in ways I don't think a lot of people anticipated. And I find her singing to be really expressive, moving easily between smutty-funny and heartbreaking. It's like she's saying, "This is where I'm going, motherfuckers." Maybe her "main" albums won't be as out there, but they'll probably be more interesting than I thought they'd be. I mean, she found a musical soulmate in WAYNE FUCKING COYNE. This isn't just some cookie cutter pop tart.

And it kind of parallels the recent changes in her image. She used to be just another "bad girl", another supposed sign of The Death of Decent Culture who's really just another commodity. But she's been morphing into something more, dare I say it, revolutionary. I think more and more people are daring to feel unstuck in terms of gender (hence the whole "Gender Is Over" thing) and sexuality. She gives voice to that, and I think that's kind of important when a huge motherfucking star is owning all of that. Add to that the genuine kindness a lot of her charity and advocacy shows (in a reality where Donald Trump can gain countless followers just by being an epic dick, kindness is kind of radical), and you might be seeing the start of something major.

Or, you may not be. But this move makes me eager to see what she does next, and where she is ten years from now.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Personally, I find Miley's sticky-fingered appropriation problematic enough (and that weave at the VMAs), but her comments on Nicki's grievances against the industry - that she wasn't "polite", etc - even when the NYT gave her plenty of opportunities to dig herself out of that hole, were crass at best.

Nicki should've had words with Rebel Wilson, too; that was gross.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Can someone screencap the final performance and list the drag queens that they can identify?
    Obviously, Alyssa Edwards, Violet, and possibly Shangela, oh and Gia Gunn were on the platform that Miley was on.. but the camera angles and the frenetic cam-t-cam made it impossible for me to know all the dragracers involved. (I know it's a big ask.. but maybe someone from Buzzfeed has already done it.)

I didn't care for the VMAs.. they've lost their edge.. but that final performance was worth the watch.

Oh, and I looooove the album as well. I didn't dare want to be the first to say it on here, tho. Everyone's talked about this and that.. I love the lyrics and the crazy reverberation. Her writing is impressive.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    NM^
    Found the list here http://www.mtv.com/news/2256541/meet...s-drag-queens/
    So happy Porkchop was up there even if I can't find her.

BING is a horrible search engine for stuff like this - late breaking stuff. I hate that Windows 10 is forcing it no matter how many times I take it out of the extensions. grrr
    Thank God for Google searches.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

Alyssa, Shangela, Laganja (dat deathdrop!) I saw up front, but out of all the queens they're the most "dancey" ones, so makes sense they were there with the most camera time.

oh my god. this is so great!

I think this album is really good. It's not perfect, cohesive, carefully thought out, but I don't think she wanted that. It's that long because she probably wanted all the songs she recorded to be heard for free, didn't want to edit out anything.

Her American Doll Posse :'))) (kidding)
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

I can't believe I'm saying this but if only ADP was this good.

Quote Originally Posted by okyanus View Post
    I can't believe I'm saying this but if only ADP was this good.
    Yeah !
    This album is WAY better than ADP

I feel like I am on a different planet. This is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Hideous album tbh. It vacillates between aggravating and plain soporific which sadly is business as usual for Miley AND the Flips. It's hard to go off on the tastelessness of an album that wears it so proudly and exaggeratedly but mostly I'm just amazed at how any music can try way too hard and be this crushingly boring at the same time. It's depressing and totally not fun (OR FUNNY). And Miley is such a charmless vocalist she's incapable even of bratty, punky, inverse charm.
    Totally didn't see this post. Yes. This. Basically.

Last edited by Tonic; 10-08-2015 at 02:07 PM.