Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Milk Eyed Mender discussion!

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar

Icon15 The Milk Eyed Mender discussion!

Love for The Milk Eyed Mender goes in here!

While MEM is my "least favorite" of her three albums (and I say "least favorite" meaning "a work of total amazingness that is only eclipsed slightly by the amazingness of her other albums"), I think it's genius in it's own right and some of her best songs are on here - Sadie, Peach Plum Pear, En Gallop, Clam Crab Cockle Cowrie, Sprout and the Bean etc.. It's an audacious and bold debut that certainly introduced Joanna as a musical force to be reckoned with.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Warning: Bad Joanna fan alert.

I don't actually have this. But I've heard songs from it and thought they sounded pretty fantastic. "This Side Of The Blue" was the first thing I ever heard by her, in an Orange TV advert in 2004.

I am going to try and get a copy before I see her in September.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    ^ you really should. Every time I go back to that album I love it more.

"Swansea", "Sadie", "Peach Plum Pear"... what's not to love on that album? (well, "Three Little Babes" maybe )

Put a bird on it. SisterErnestine's Avatar
    I love Swansea so much!! But my first Joanna song that I heard from this was Bridges and Balloons, when my friend had this on his myspace page.

I've been a huge fan of this record for awhile now. I think it ties with Ys for me in terms of awesomeness.

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    So um, I don't have this album either, but have some songs from it. I want to get more!

I have a question re: this side of the blue.

The version in this video is just old-fashioned-y electric piano and vocal:

whereas the version I can buy off itunes' edition of MEM has this slide guitar in the sample clip. Where does the version in the video-clip come from? It is the one I would like to own (previously when I have had a This Side of the Blue craving I have gone to youtube to hear it). Can I purchase it? Does it differ super-substantially? What's the story?
    Last edited by Michael Michael; 06-23-2010 at 02:04 AM.

^ I assume that's the version from Yarn And Glue, but I'm not 100% sure, as I only have one track off that EP, but I'm downloading it now, so I'll tell you

Yes. That is from Yarn And Glue. I have no idea how you obtain it, someone sent me the album via e-mail (Sorry Joanna, I bought Milk Eyed Mender so chill out) and the ones I have are horrible quality, only 80Kbps.
    That video actually sounds way better than the mp3 I have.

Personally I like the slide guitar. Unfortunately I cannot find Yarn and Glue on Amazon. You MIGHT find it on Ebay.

Milk Eyed Mender is still my favorite (Though Ys and HOOM are absolute masterpieces). It has the most up-beat and fun songs like Peach, Plum, Pear, Inflammatory Writ, Book of Right On and Sadie.

Me, my pappy, and his lemonade
    Yarn and Glue is out of print and has been for quite some time. It's only available on the second-hand market.

"Svetlana sucks lemons across from me."

What an opening line!

What I love about The Milk-Eyed Mender in retrospect is how distinct it is from both the albums that have come after it. Ys is what turned me into a raving lunatic of a fan, but I was a fan first with this album, and "Inflammatory Writ" is the song that sold me on her. Endless
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    We should have listening parties. And we should start with MEM!

Oui. I support this notion.

When I first heard this album and I heard Joanna sing in "Bridges and Balloons" the line "I can recall our caravel / a little wicker beetle shell / with four fine masts and lateen sails / its bearings on Cair Paravel" I knew that I was really in for it. The tears came and, all hyperbole aside, this album reached back to pieces of my childhood. Back to the potent little things that you hold on to from it and treasure for the rest of your life and only things like smells and tastes can trigger the deluge of the return of those emotions. I can't stress enough the significance of the first experience I had with this album. Though some would argue that The Milk-Eyed Mender may not be her best album technically, especially in the shadow of the juggernaut that is Ys, it's definitely the one that will always be closest to my heart.

An album's best song always seems to be the last one I warm up to, and The Milk-Eyed Mender is no exception - En Gallop is really something.

Never get so attached to a poem ; You forget truth that lacks lyricism

That line is just plain genius.

En Gallop and Swansea have become my firm favourites on that album.