Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Milk Eyed Mender discussion!

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    The more I listen to this album the more I'm convinced it has some of her best songs. Due to their sheer magnitude, Ys and Have One On Me seem to stand out more in her catalogue (Ys is only like three minutes longer than MEM but it's only five songs), but The Milk-Eyed Mender is wonderful in its own right.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Nothing pertinent to add except I'm currently obsessed with "En Gallop" and that this album does not get enough love. No posts for a year!!

^ This. Thank you. Without question my hands-down favorite of the three albums.

It isn't my favorite (that would be Ys, because there really isn't an album better than Ys on the planet IMO except BfP and even then I'm pretty sure it's better), but MEM is a spectacularly great album. Please do understand that by "not my favorite" I mean "still better than most albums put out by anyone".

I see lots of love for MEM - the individual record threads seem to get a bit less traction these days, and HOOM has the recency effect.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    En Gallop and Swansea are two of my favourites on this record that don't always get shown the love. But they are amongst my favourite of all her songs.

En Gallop plays around with time so much - that harp part is one of the loveliest she's ever written, in my opinion.

I have definite favorites from this album, and there's always more to discover. Ever since the Top 10 thread, I've checked out Swansea again. Brilliant I have to say I love her voice on this albumeven if my cats don't.

I love Swansea! And Casseopia too!

I think the live versions of some of these songs made me love them, particularly The Book of Right-On. Her voice still grates on my brain for some of this album, but in terms of melodies and songwriting, I think it's a very strong work. I love Bridges & Balloons, Sadie, En Gallop, Swansea, Casseopia, and Peach Plum Pear. The only ones I really can't stomach at all are Inflammatory Writ and Three Little Babes.

Can any of you sit through Three Little Babes?

ETA: I also love What We Have Known, which was a b-side. I wish that one replaced Three Little Babes.

Inflammatory Writ is my FAVE! OMG. That song is the best song I've ever heard about the frustrating futility of being a writer.

Three Little Babes is rough though. I agree - What We Have Known would have been great on the record. I also love Erin and Flying a Kite!

I like Inflammatory Writ live, but I just can't listen to it on the album.

They took the gay right out of me. Buelis's Avatar
    I think it would be great if at some point Joanna released another album composed of 3-5 minute songs again, as it would make for a fascinating comparison to MEM. But I'll be the last to complain if she continues to churn out brilliant 12 minute stunners.

streak his blood across my beak PoorMatty's Avatar
    I can never get through "Three Little Babes." I don't even think of it as being on the album. I may have listened to it all the way through twice. The album version of "Inflammatory Writ" used to be one I skipped too, but I appreciate it more now, especially after having seen it live with the band. I still am flabbergasted how someone could love MEM more than Ys or HOOM, but it's certainly a spectacular debut. Many artists would consider themselves accomplished to have songs like "Sadie," "Peach, Plum, Pear," and "Clam, Crab, Cockle, Cowrie" in their back catalog at all, nevermind all three songs being on the same debut album. Plus "Swansea" is such a melodic tour de force; with its several complex movements, it really seems to be a precursor to the stuff she wound up doing musically on Ys.

This album was exactly what I needed tonight. I didn't want Ys or HOOM because it's basically a bawl-fest with both of those for me, so MEM was perfect (I did cry during Sadie and Clam, Crab, Cockle, Cowrie though). I think MEM needs more love. On days like this one, it's my favorite Joanna album.

I agree! I just listened to My Inflammatory Writ and just really connected with it. I mean, I've loved the song for ages, but now I really really really love it. The lyrics are so strange and clever and wonderful.

I think I'd rank this after Ys, actually.

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar
    There's something about Sadie's melody that recently struck me as profoundly touching, regardless if it's in MEM or the live incarnations, even disregarding its subject of losing someone dear. It's just a feeling.
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."