Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Joanna Newsom - Divers - Oct 23rd (NEW ALBUM THREAD)

Icon15 Joanna Newsom - Divers - Oct 23rd (NEW ALBUM THREAD)

========== mod edit to give like, the news and stuff. ==============

NEW ALBUM DIVERS FOR RELEASE 23RD OCTOBER 2015

Tracklist:

1. Anecdotes 6:27
    2. Sapokanikan 5:11
    3. Leaving the City 3:48
    4. Goose Eggs 5:01
    5. Waltz of the 101st Lightborne 5:22
    6. The Things I Say 2:35
    7. Divers 7:07
    8. Same Old Man 2:26
    9. You Will Not Take My Heart Alive 4:01
    10. A Pin-Light Bent 4:26
    11. Time, As a Symptom 5:28

Drag City Press Release:

Good heavens—five years go by—what can one do? Dive, listener, knowing that diversions aplenty await: a wheeling circuit of sci-fi sea-shanties and cavalier ballads; a family of polysemic song-sets; a paranomasaic Liederkreis of harmonic sympathies and knotted hierarchies; a fanfare of brazen puns and martial lullabies, blazing in sorrow and horseplay and love, in turns symphonic and spare, joined by Mellotrons and Marxophones and Moogs, clavichords and celestas—and of course the harp, thrumming its threnodies of circadian invasions and avian irruptions and strange loops of Shepard-toned resonant-frequencies and something called goddamned Simulacreage…

The music of Divers is a wonder of considered arrangements, immaculately sequenced for telescoped brevity. The music speeds with dissociative dread over montaged cityscapes; it hoofs with delight among the collaged quotations and sepia-toned codices of Popular Song; it ambles its carefree citational course through the public domain and down into the dustier corners of municipal parks, to lionize infamous airmen and anonymous Dutch Masters, to mourn pearl divers and Poorwills, and to elegize the ineluctable tragedy of relativity…

At the center of the mythos and the maelstrom is the woman. Divers reminds us that Newsom is a melodist, above all—an acolyte of melody and beauty in form, a crackerjack of emotional truth conveyed with undiluted immediacy. Here, at the aortic confluence of countless strings and wires, winking beneath the lacquered layers of instrumental nacre, biding quietly between the ranges of rhapsodic arrangement—including those by Nico Muhly, Ryan Francesconi, Dave Longstreth, and Newsom herself—there lies an intimacy seldom achieved, and simply heard. Divers dives forth with a pure love and respect for the traditions and mysteries of man, such that we can feel the surge of life itself passing over our bones as we hear the songs and sounds, the players and the arrangements; as basic maths are reviewed to uncover heights of joy and sorrow, all traced in triumphal arches and supernumerary rainbows through eternal amber, gleaming in analog entrapment—with that VOICE riding high atop—recorded with snow-bright, high-noon-verity by Steve Albini and Noah Georgeson, mixed in phantasmagoric, deep-sea-saturation by Noah and Joanna, and loosed, fuckin’ FINALLY, on October 23rd by Drag City Records.

We have reached Peak Newsom. Divers is coming, to incline into your many and varied lifelines, for now and then and the rest of the moments that will always return in your lifetimes again.

========== mod edit above this line to give like, the news and stuff. ==============

Hey all! Great news!

I was at a wedding over the weekend with a publicist for Drag City. She informed me that Joanna's new album is done and is coming out this year ( tentatively November). She has heard it, so I'm assuming it is done and they are just working on the campaign, artwork, etc. In her opinion, it is very much in the same vein as HOOM. However, she let me know that she personally isn't a big fan, so I would take that with a huge grain of salt. If you're not exactly a fan, then how would you know how to listen to a new work and compare it/describe it? So...that's all I know and all I could find out. But yay! New Joanna!

I'm assuming that news will start trickling out ( or won't considering the way that HOOM was introduced) so I thought a thread would be appropriate.
    Last edited by ebby; 08-11-2015 at 08:57 PM.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

pummelled gall-nuts afloat in urine
    uhm

holy christmas

I mean, really?

Really! I wish I could've gotten more out of her, but wedding=drunk and not the right time to grill someone when they're running back to the dance floor.

WHAT.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whose wheels are squeaking arsonist samael's Avatar
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I'm liking the descent into incomprehensible shrieking. Bodes well for the actual release.

I woke up this morning in a funk and then I was like THERE MIGHT BE A NEW JOANNA RECORD SQUEEEEEEEEE and then I was not in a funk anymore.

and miss, and miss, and miss cosmia's Avatar
    Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Even if it were in the same vein as HOOM, I don't think that should be considered a bad thing.

Isn't she doing a few shows this summer? Maybe we will start to hear some new songs at the shows.

I am not surprised - both of the new songs she played seemed HOOM-like. Which is totes fine!

Those songs do seem like a logical progression from HOOM, but the main thing I would assume from someone finding the album immediately comparable is that the production - and, more importantly, the arrangements - are similar. More Francesconi, basically. Which, again, is fine. I find his somewhat tentative, textural approach a fine compliment to Joanna, who is basically just a fearsome force of musicianship and requires that kind of melodic space in which to flourish.

The new songs are unbelievably good so my hopes are pretty high

And who knows what the actual release date is. The conversation went like this:

Me: So what are you doing these days?
    Her: I'm a publicist
    Me: Oh cool. For who?
    Her: For Drag City
    Me: oh, wait. Isn't Joanna Newsom on Drag City?
    Her: Yeah. She has a new album coming out this year
    Me: Really!?!? What?!?!
    Her: Yeah. I'm not a big fan, though
    Me: Anything you can tell me about it?
    Her: Well, I HAVE heard it, but as I'm not a fan, I can't tell you much
    Me: Well, was it a huge departure from HOOM? Cause that was a pretty big leap from Y'S.
    Her: Umh...No. I'd say its a lot like HOOM...I don't know. I like females who are just doing it, ya know?
    Me: Well, wouldn't you say that making a successful career as a singer-songwriter who plays the harp would be considered "doing it"?
    Her: I don't know. She's just not my cup of tea. I like rock girls.
    Me: Oh. So...Any idea when it's coming out?
    Her: We were just talking about that last week. I think someone mentioned maybe November? But definitely this year.
    Me: Cool

And she runs back to some friends on the dance floor.

So really, all I'm taking from the conversation is that a new album is done. Just because she works for DC doesn't mean she has any way of describing the new album. How do you do that if you're not a fan, ya know?

But i'm with you all! Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Adam, if this is bullshit I will crack both your testicles like walnuts.

If it's true; squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

!!!!!!! Awesome