Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Joanna Newsom - Divers - Oct 23rd (NEW ALBUM THREAD)

I guess I missed this a couple of weeks ago. But I have seen it now.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Are there any more Joanna shows coming up besides the Pitchfork Festival in July? If a new album is done, I'd bet there'll be some new stuff played and maybe she'll make a comment or two on when new material will be out.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    Did we know much about HOOM before its release? That's around the time I started exploring her music and fell in love with everything.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    The first hint of it was this cartoon, right? In January of that year?

I think it was released 5-6 weeks before the album came out. After the cartoon, as I remember, those three songs were posted on Drag City, but there was never much in the way of promotion leading up to the release.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I love the way they did it with that cartoon strip and then you're right, the album came out at the end of the following month. I thought it was just right.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    That cartoon strip takes on so many new levels of meaning when you view it after listening to the album for 3 years...

I still don't get the cartoon strip.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Her legs appear to actually belong to a slightly disgruntled little person lol how surreal?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I still don't get the cartoon strip.
    We take a walk along the dirty lake
    Hear the goose cussing at me over her eggs
    You poor little cousin
    I don't want your dregs
    A little baby fussing all over my legs

I say no more.

The little man is her baby? D:

Ajdkfjfiosfdiosdh[ioasdfio[d[dfhi. Never mind.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    They should be streaming her set on Friday, even though I can't find official confirmation that they will. I don't think they usually announce the streaming lineup until the first day of the festival.

Joanna played four new songs at the Pitchfork Festival -- Diver's Wife, Look and Despair, and two more. She didn't say anything about an album, but she said, "I wasn't quite sure what to play tonight because I have a lot of new songs, but no one comes out just for the new songs."

I figured out lyrics to the short new song (it's just over 2 minutes long and on piano) but some are questionable because of the recording quality. I'll spoiler it in case no one wants to hear/read new material yet.

New song (piano)

New song (harp)

Buried somewhere in their rambling August newsletter, Drag City throws this vague little tidbit out there, which may or may not be related to Joanna. I don't know anything about her label so maybe they are talking about a totally different musician/band.

Speaking of your sweet, stupid expectations, there's one more record we're talking about throwing on the November date that you can't know about yet, which means we can't tell you. And given that this is a NEWS-letter, fuck! That BLOWS. Our mind, that is. Because that BLOWS - as in, SUCKS, that is. Gee, when did blow jobs become such a estimate of disappointment? That kinda snuck up on us. This seems unfair to all of us who enjoy a good blow job! Hm, we'll have to exploit this further in newsletters down the line. Fortunately, there will be many newsletters in our future, while we sell all the INCREDIBLE new releases mentioned above - along with the one we didn't mention 'cause we can't - and lots of other ones too.
    So, aside from that being totally obnoxious, wouldn't it be lovely to have a November release?

Yeah, too cute by half. But forgivable, being that there's absolutely no chance that they're talking about anyone but Joanna. Yay!