Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Joanna Newsom - Divers - Oct 23rd (NEW ALBUM THREAD)

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    I REALLY hope this means a new album in November. My birthday is in November, so if it's true, I'm gonna take it as a birthday gift from the universe. Oh I really really really hope this is true. I could really use some new Joanna right now.

Considering the four new songs she's performed live, my hopes are HIGH. Hell, she could release rough demos of those four and flesh out the rest of the album with field recordings of farts and it'd still be one of the best of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Hell, she could release rough demos of those four and flesh out the rest of the album with field recordings of farts and it'd still be one of the best of the year.
    Or a full version of Tom Bombadil from Portlandia.

My Drag City source said November was the month they were considering, and that was back in May. So this MUST be her. Yay!!!!!!
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Shit. I better finish getting acquainted with disc three of HOOM this autumn now properly so. (no, seriously, I'm so slow at digesting that record, it's unreal. Too much to admire. too much.)

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I can't quite believe it's 3.5 years since HOOM came out. But I won't say no to new Joanna, those new songs are exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    So...I guess this album isn't coming out this year, huh?
    My heart skipped a beat when I saw this thread was bumped.

Sadly, unless she's planning on some surprise instant release plan, I would guess it's not coming till spring now.

And whatever happened with the "super awesome" secret release her label was going to detail in their news post? There was nothing there of note...

Aye, there's no way it wouldn't've been announced by now :| not for an artist of her standing. Can't say I'm not disappointed, I mean, this IS my most anticipated release ever, but 2013 has still been a great year.

I can imagine there being HELLA PRESSURE surrounding this release. I mean, considering the long wait, considering that it's following two ridiculously highly-acclaimed albums, considering her marriage, even... I'd be terrified. I also feel like, while Have One on Me was adored by critics, a lot of the response seemed to still be riding the Ys hype train. I don't know if HOOM has had the same lasting impact with yr average pitchforker (it certainly didn't sell as well), and I can imagine reception to a new JNew album now being more lukewarm.
    Last edited by Andrew; 11-27-2013 at 06:26 PM.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    I am trying not to get my hopes up, but I love that she is going back to someone she worked with on Ys.

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    That just made my day!!!! GAHHHH I LOVE J-NEW & I LOVE VAN DYKE PARKS & I LOVE THEM WORKING TOGETHER!!!
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

I WOULD DIE.

What does that mean, he submitted a "chart" that Joanna may "option"? I assume that's some kind of production lingo where he essentially sketched out his rough ideas and overall approach for arrangements after hearing demos?
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    ^ "charts" is the informal way of referring to arrangements. Optioning is deciding to go with that arrangement and paying for it, basically. So, she may have put a tender out to a few people, or just to him to see what he'd come up with and if she would like it.

I wonder what got this album delayed? I thought it was done a long time ago. I guess we'll find out when it comes out and she starts talking about it. Sorry guys that November fell through!
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

he added:

Van Dyke Parks ‏@thevandykeparks 4 Dec
    “@CatDadBret: @morningwaltz @thevandykeparks - a new arrangement collaboration for Joanna's new album ”VDP: I'm submitting. She'll decide!!

I'm feeling gloomy. Almost 4 years since HOOM, (and nothing much since then from Sufjan either.)

It feels like her fans have had to go into enforced hibernation.