Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the new Alison Moyet

the new Alison Moyet

has anyone heard it yet ? I'm intruiged, but somehow did not click all the way with The Turn and a bit afraid to repeat that. Hometime still gets rediscovered a lot though

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Did you hear the single?

The album is getting great reviews, and Alison Moyet is getting trolled by one direction fans. (no seriously. Apparently it's because her management also manage One Direction, Little Mix, JLS and all those kinds of X Factor singers. And then there's Alison Moyet sounding awesome at 51. )

Alison Moyet ‏@AlisonMoyet1 23h
    Dear kids. I have a man's voice on account of my huge testicles. #DressToTheLeft

The album is doing well - it's at #5 in the UK charts. I've only heard the previews on iTunes, but it sounds like she's back delving into her electronic roots again, and collaborating with Guy Sigsworth (Frou Frou, Madonna, Alanis, Bjork...) : https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/th...es/id606572053

I listened to it once yesterday afternoon. You can tell that she collaborated with Guy Sigsworth right off the bat. It's got very similar production to Frou Frou's Details album. It's a very dense and intense album.

she looks a lit slimmer than before

It is I, you son of a bitch. blissgurl's Avatar
    I mentioned in another thread how fantastic I think this album is, and yes, many of the songs have that signature Guy Sigworth/Frou Frou style, which works so well with Alison's smooth and deep voice. And those One Direction fans douchebags can suck it, apparently on Moyet's huge testicles
    Suck it, Shawn.

All Signs of Life and Love Reign Supreme are great! Really dig the new album!

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    I love it!

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    Yes yes yes! I'm not even particularly an AM fan - love the greatest hits, saw her live once - all great but I don't follow her career closely. I had the impression she was only doing acoustic MOR blues now, which is not really my thing.

But 'The Minutes' is magnificent. Mostly dark punchy electro, filled out with occasional strings and electric guitars, constructed perfectly around her big warm voice which fills that space in the music like no one else's really could and then soars out above it when needed. Bitter and beautiful lyrics, balanced with moments of lightness to give the whole album a flawless momentum of moods. Of course she came to fame with some definitive 80s synth pop torch songs but this is very 2010s music, not a retro feel at all IMO.

Your Girl is excellent but quite unrepresentative, its 'band' sound is a minority aspect of the record. Working with Guy Frou Frou Bomb the Bass etc is a collaboration made in very-good-collaborationsville.

Changeling needs to be played LOUDLY.

At the risk of disappearing up my own hyperbole, I would honestly call this her 'Ray of Light'. Specifically because (1) I thought she was an artist who'd stick to her established parameters but she's gone way beyond my expectations, and (2) because it's a collaboration with a producer with a distinctive style of his own taken to new places by her singing and songwriting (compare RoL with William Orbit's pre-RoL stuff). There are no tracks I skip.

I have never bought an Alison Moyet record before in my life. But I bought this and it is really, really fabulous. Brilliant that at this stage in her career she's opened up to a new producer (*cough Tori*) in Guy Sigsworth.

There's something about the timbre of her voice that gives a sense of depth to electronic production. I can't quite explain what it is, but her richer tone fits so well between the thinner higher synth sounds and the bass parts. It just has a beautiful balance.

Last edited by ebby; 05-22-2013 at 09:58 AM.

Sometimes it's like Imogen Heap's stepmother crashed her shabby chic birthday tea party drunk, and is glaring at people and laughing at inappropriate moments, while smoking a roll up. Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by other pete View Post
    Sometimes it's like Imogen Heap's stepmother crashed her shabby chic birthday tea party drunk, and is glaring at people and laughing at inappropriate moments, while smoking a roll up. Or something.
    Especially "Remind Yourself" which sounds almost like an Imogen Heap album track or something.

And shouting at the One Direction fans telling them to lick her balls before opening another bottle of wine.

She really knows how to sell a melody though.

There were two cautionary tales in the news last week. Matthew McConaughey, Hollywood beefcake, reduced himself to little more than an edamame bean by shedding around 50 lb to play an AIDS victim – only stopping his diet when he started to lose his sight.

And Alison Moyet, 1980s pop star, was revealed to have gone from a size 22 to a 10. Aged 51, she now looks about 70, haggard and drawn.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...#ixzz2V54CMOKh
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    This is literally the first time I have felt confident I could physically squeeze the wretched spitefuelled life out of another human being with my bare hands and be CERTAIN I had done a good, good, deed, and vastly improved our species in the process.

I was googling for reviews to see how The Minute's has gone down "stateside" but stumbled across a Daily Telegraph article which compiled every single weight related quote attributed to AM in any interview, and pieced them together to give the impression that she had sat down and talked about weight to the Telegraph for about an hour. Not a sentence without a "Roly-poly chanteuse" comment from the writer. Literally DIAF. (although they seem to love The Minutes).

ANYWAY - lovely little interview and Filigree live on the Andrew Marr show this morning - yookay viewers can I-player it here.

Quote Originally Posted by other petra mede View Post
    This is literally the first time I have felt confident I could physically squeeze the wretched spitefuelled life out of another human being with my bare hands and be CERTAIN I had done a good, good, deed, and vastly improved our species in the process.

I was googling for reviews to see how The Minute's has gone down "stateside" but stumbled across a Daily Telegraph article which compiled every single weight related quote attributed to AM in any interview, and pieced them together to give the impression that she had sat down and talked about weight to the Telegraph for about an hour. Not a sentence without a "Roly-poly chanteuse" comment from the writer. Literally DIAF. (although they seem to love The Minutes).
    The Minutes hasn't been released in the US yet. It comes out here on June 11. I've heard great things about it so I really want to get it. What do you expect from the Daily Mail? That's what they do to every celebrity. It's pointless to get upset about what they write because they are so stupid and they just do it to sell newspapers. So by getting upset you are just giving them what they want, more publicity. I guess I"ve become hardened to what British tabloids say because Madonna is my favorite artist and the Daily Mail has some horrible mean spirited article about her every single day saying far worse things than what they said about Alison. Who cares really? It doesn't change how much I like someone's music. Alison is a big girl and has been in the music business for years. I'm sure she's not sitting crying about what the Mail writes about her. She just goes on with her career and her life.