Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Edward Snowden, NSA leaker

Venezuela is probably his best way out. Or Antartica.

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    So the British secret services detained Snowden-linked journalist's partner (also a journalist) for 9 hours without allowing him any legal representation, lying to him about what they had the power to do the whole time, when he had to change flights in London on the way home to Peru.

It's scary enough that the government gave itself the power to do that to anyone 'suspected' of terrorism (thankyou Blair), but for them to then use that so shamelessly against a journalist has united the press against them and is also, really obviously, an illegal act on their part.

So far the Home Office are simply refusing to answer any questions about it. The contempt for process and abuse of power to intimidate opponents of the policies of the ruling class is so blatant now but it still takes my breath away.

This will be the same government that physically destroyed hard drives and computer equipment at the offices of the Guardian.

David Miranda, schedule 7 and the danger that all reporters now face
    The man was unmoved. And so one of the more bizarre moments in the Guardian's long history occurred – with two GCHQ security experts overseeing the destruction of hard drives in the Guardian's basement just to make sure there was nothing in the mangled bits of metal which could possibly be of any interest to passing Chinese agents. "We can call off the black helicopters," joked one as we swept up the remains of a MacBook Pro.

Whitehall was satisfied, but it felt like a peculiarly pointless piece of symbolism that understood nothing about the digital age. We will continue to do patient, painstaking reporting on the Snowden documents, we just won't do it in London. The seizure of Miranda's laptop, phones, hard drives and camera will similarly have no effect on Greenwald's work.
    Did you see that simpering fashion blogger who should not be Menschioned by lame lest she drag us all into a vortex of vapidity on Newnight last night defending the use of these powers? Excruciating!
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

[ validated ]
    One of my favorite shows, The TED Radio Hour, just aired an excellent show last Friday called "The End of Privacy"

I suggest you listen to it here: http://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radi...ate=2014-01-31

Very interesting post by Professor Ross Anderson (one of the good guys) on Meeting Snowden in Princeton.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Feelin' glum? Don't stop now!

I'll put this here as quite a bit of info in the post was gleaned from Snowden.