Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite songs as a kid.

Growing up in Miami, I heard a lot of local radio-- and back then Italo, Freestyle, Hi-NRG were played non-stop on the local station Power 96.

Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse Of The Heart

Jennifer Rush - The Power of Love

Emmylou Harris - The Queen of the Silver Dollar

And err:

Father Abraham and the Smurfs - Smurfing Beer

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Quote Originally Posted by Banjee View Post
    Growing up in Miami, I heard a lot of local radio-- and back then Italo, Freestyle, Hi-NRG were played non-stop on the local station Power 96.

DJ Little Laz!! I love these songs -

Little Laz FTW!!

Diamond Girl you make me feel like I'm on fire when you are near... you captivate me with your smile.... girl you make me feel so wild... you my DIAMOND GIRL

*does white girl salsa*
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar

Icon15

Such a fun topic! When I look back on my childhood, so many of those memories are accompanied by music.

Ace of Base - "The Sign"

My friend, his little brother, and I would crank this in his basement and dance around like fools. It was the best.

Bryan Adams
    - "Everything I Do (I Do It For You)"

I had a massive crush on Bryan Adams from about 1989-1994. I carried around a cut-out newspaper photo of him in my little wallet. Because really, what else does a 10 year-old have to put in a wallet besides milk money and pictures of Bryan Adams? I would've galloped off on a horse with him and his poofy 90s hair and jean jacket any day. The earliest romantic scenarios I envisioned almost always involved galloping off on a horse together.

Belly
    - "Feed the Tree"

This was one of those songs I loved as a kid, but didn't figure out who played it until my later teen years. It's still one of my favorite songs ever.

Blind Melon
    - "No Rain"

I was pretty much the bee girl.

Mariah Carey
    - "Emotions"

I wanted her to be my cool big sister.

Gin Blossoms
    - "Hey Jealousy"

I had a sense that this was a very grown-up song about relationships and vaguely illegal activities. (OOOOOH, the COPS are going to CHASE THEM AROUND!!!!) The sense of reckless abandon appealed to me even though my style of "reckless" at the time involved swinging as high as I could on the swingset and jumping off.

Sophie B. Hawkins
    - "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover"

My parents wouldn't let me buy this because of the "damn" in the title, so I taped it off of the radio. I don't think they ever figured out that the person she's singing to in the song is a woman. I didn't know the word "lesbian" yet, but I honed right in on the "I lay by the ocean making love to her with visions clear" lyric and my mind was like, "Hey, sometimes ladies are in love with other ladies." It was edumacational and stuff!

Cyndi Lauper
    - "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"

Great memories of stomping and clomping around the living room to this with my mom.

Billy Joel
    - "We Didn't Start the Fire"

I didn't understand a lot of the references until I was older, but I dug the urgency. Listening to it felt IMPORTANT.

George Michael
    - "Freedom! '90"

OMG, this video. My parents would've had a fit if they knew I was watching this, but somehow I saw it anyway and hot damn.

Queen & David Bowie - "Under Pressure"

I loved all of Queen's stuff as a kid and this song was just everything to me. (On a related note, the first time I ever remember seeing my dad cry was when we found out Freddie Mercury passed away. That was also how I learned about HIV/AIDS.)

Temple of the Dog
    - "Hunger Strike"

Whenever I sang along with this, I would try to emulate the vocal style of either Chris Cornell or Eddie Vedder for the whole song. That explains why I nail the Soundgarden and Pearl Jam songs when I play Rock Band on the XBOX now even though I'm not an especially great singer. I've trained for years.

TLC
    - "Waterfalls"

DON'T GO, JAAAAAYSON WATERFALLS.

U2
    - "Mysterious Ways"

Oh, to go back to an age when I was too young to know how insufferable Bono is.

Wilson Philips
    - "Hold On"

I loved this whole album as a kid. Still one of my favorite feel-good pop songs.

I'm loving this thread. i just learned that "the power of love" by Celine Dion was a note for note cover! That Jennifer Rush video was nuts...

And to make everyone feel old, 'Girls just Wanna Have Fun" is 30 this year.....

I was a weird kid. I would listen to Debbie Gibson and the Dead Kennedys in the same afternoon. Oh the joys of being 13!

I loved Frankenchrist. I loved Out of the Blue.

My first album:

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Okay here are some MORE!

Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now

SHE WAS MY EVERYTHING AND MORE.

Debbie Gibson - Foolish Beat
    Don't act like you didn't cry to this song!
    My Life 87-90. My first concert was Tiffany. My second was Debbie. I remember loving Tiffany because she was a slightly bad-ass teenager with a raspy voice who sued her parents while thinking Debbie was just the most talented because she wrote and produced her hits. Posters on my walls for days. I knew those records inside and out.

I was obsessed with The Jets. I even wrote a short story in 4th grade about how I won a contest and went on tour with them. Still love to do this at karaoke.

All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

Mario taking us back to the skating rink! #hotwheels #Power96

Expose was my shit!
    Last edited by Barbarella; 06-16-2013 at 08:52 PM.

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    First records/tapes I owned and adored as single digit kid...

Blondie - self titled, The Hunter
    Fleetwood Mac - self titled, Rumors, Tusk
    Donna Summer - A Trilogy of Love, Four Seasons of Love
    The B-52's - self titled, Cosmic Thing
    Stevie Nicks - Wild Heart
    Madonna - Like A Prayer, I'm Breathless
    random compilation tape that came with my parents brand new Oldmobile Cutlass Supreme that included Cyndi Lauper, Michael Jackson, Hall & Oats and a few others. Was totally obsessed with it.

First cds:
    Paula Abdul - Spellbound
    Madonna - The Immaculate Collection, Who's That Girl soundtrack
    Ace of Base - The Sign

Still have all these albums in my iTunes.

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BettahDevil View Post
    First cds:
    Paula Abdul - Spellbound
    Madonna - The Immaculate Collection, Who's That Girl soundtrack
    Ace of Base - The Sign

Still have all these albums in my iTunes.
    OMG I was obsessed with Spellbound. It's like that vibeology that V-I-B-E-OLOGY!! Horny horns!!

And at the time, I thought Promise of A New Day was the best song ever written. Eagles callin' and he's callin' your name!
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Alan View Post
    OMG I was obsessed with Spellbound. It's like that vibeology that V-I-B-E-OLOGY!! Horny horns!!

And at the time, I thought Promise of A New Day was the best song ever written. Eagles callin' and he's callin' your name!
    I am still obsessed with Spellbound! :P

I had a Paula Abdul party just a few months ago and bumped all her stuff. I love pretty much all of her singles, but Spellbound the album is just pure pop perfection from beginning to end. There are some cheesetastic moments (I'm Alright Tonight, Will You Marry Me?), but they will forever have a place in my heart.. so many good memories attatched to all of the songs.

I remember staying up late to watch record the Under My Spell tour when it was broadcast on TV. So fun!

Edit: Oh.. and the Spellbound music videos were fucking fantastic!

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    I'll never forget the first time I saw Keanu Reeves rub that bottle of milk on his face in the Rush Rush video.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo