Thread: Sound issues on my computer

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar

Sound issues on my computer

I'm having the weirdest sound issues and before I spend more time googling (the search terms just make it hard to search properly), I thought I'd ask here first.

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop, about 2 years old. I watch a lot of videos on it and have never had problems. The last week or so, I started not being able to hear out of both of my earbuds. I figured that was no big deal, as they were the super cheap crappy ones and I probably just broke one. It wasn't consistent either, which made me believe it even more.

Sometimes I got no sound out of either of them. I got some new buds and tried them. No sound.

Ok, fine. The headphone jack is broken. Annoying, but I'll fix it, save for a new computer, deal with it, whatever. But then magically it worked. Then it didn't. An intermittent problem is still a problem.

But it gets weirder.

Today it wouldn't work when I was trying to watch a video on youtube. I took the buds out of the jack and got sound through the speakers. I put the buds in, tested them on iTunes and got sound through them. Tried youtube, no sound. Tried Hulu and Netflix and I got sound. So it's not entirely broken. It works with Firefox for Hulu and Netflix, and it works when I watch youtube in Chrome.

Is it a hardware issue? A FF/Youtube issue? Some unholy hell of a perfect storm between them and W7?

I don't know if anyone can help me, but it's seriously fucked up and I thought I'd ask.

To me, that sounds more like a hardware issue than anything else. That kind of inconsistency speaks more to a loose internal connection than to something going on in the OS or elsewhere, I would think.

Thanks. It *feels* like a hardware issue, but the selective mutism depending on the website contradicts that, especially because Youtube has been so buggy lately.

I did find out that they make USB soundcards that have headphone jacks for under $10, so that's a cheap way to work around it if it goes altogether. Much cheaper than buying a new computer or internal headphone jack and trying to install it myself.

You could start by trying a reinstall of whatever drivers your system uses for sound, on the chance that it is something software-related.

I probably will, when I can be bothered. Have a lot of other tedious work to do, so it'll have to wait. It's nice to have a cheap backup plan for when that inevitably fails.

Hurt people hurt people too toriMODE's Avatar
    It sounds like a driver issue to me.

champagne spiritualist mr graeme's Avatar
    I have a very similar problem, without the selective muting thing, with my laptop. Sound with headphones comes and goes, yet it's fine through the speakers. If I restart my laptop (normally has to be twice) it works fine, until I remove the headphones. Then when I reinsert them the problem usually comes back. I can fix it by going to the "sound" part of control panel and playing about with the various "use as default device" options, but I never remember which one I need to switch it to! Hope you manage to get it sorted out! I've just got used to it!!
    working my way back to me again

I can get it to work now through one side of my ear buds consistently, but it's still weird that when it started, it was only the one website.

I'm probably going to have to get a new computer in the next few months because so much is breaking on this one all at once. The expense doesn't bother me nearly as much as having to get W8 or scramble to find something with W7.

My son was firmly in the WINDOWS 8 SUCKS camp. Then he used a computer with Win8 installed.

Just sayin'.

I love W7. I know it's possible W8 could grow on me, but it's so drastically different that it makes me nervous. If I hate it, it's such a PITA to go back. I don't even mind if they changed how it works and looks exactly, but if it's going to be difficult to navigate on a laptop, then it's too much work.

Plus I'm always nervous about compatibility issues.

I run Win8 on my laptop with Classic Shell. I skip the Metro splash page completely and go straight to the desktop ... I had no compatibility issues that I remember. You could always try a dual-boot or run it in a virtual machine if you want to test without committing.

I was hoping to make this computer last a few more years and then move on to W9 or whatever will come next and avoid W8 altogether. I should just play with a computer that has it if I get to the "I need a new one now" point soon. Which I probably will. The power cord doesn't stay in very well and I haven't been able to fold the laptop closed for a good year+ now because one of the hinges broke not long after the warranty expired.