Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Neil Gaiman Thread

The Neil Gaiman Thread

Who wants to kick off a discussion on our favorite Fantasy/Horror/Myth/Childrens/Screenplay Writer?

Thoughts on Ocean at the End of the Lane? I hope to reread this weekend so I can post some coherent thoughts

As soon as I have some extra pocket-money, I'll definitely be picking up a copy of the new book. I have no idea what it's about, but I'm sure I'll love it.

I've read American Gods at least half a dozen times. That book changed my life. Anansi Boys is quite good, too. Coraline was quite enjoyable for what it was (a children's horror book), and Stardust was just sort of "meh".

Confession: I've never managed to make it through Neverwhere.
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.

your veil is quietly becoming none roominmyheart's Avatar
    Awesome! Thanks for starting the thread.
    For some reason, this felt like a "lighter" read than his other books - which I really didn't mind. I didn't feel like I had to know mythology or history to really "get" the story, although I have lots of questions still. It wasnt quite what I was expecting (I thought more time/plot would be about the Ocean) but I still enjoyed it very much. I liked bringing in the food throughout the story, although I wasn't always sure if there were deeper connections between specific foods mentioned - or really, the songs or book passages either, because I wasn't familiar with all of them.
    Who do you think the Hampstocks are? Fate? Gods? Magical?
    Whose funeral is it? I kept thinking it might be his fathers for some reason.
    I also was very aware that he was never named in the story, but it never bothered me.
    I was never quite married to the belief that the "flea" was bad - why was she so bad if she just was trying to give people what they want? How was that connected to the evil acts she carried out? It almost seemed like those were two separate characters.
    I know of the significance of cats in Neil Gaiman's life, but what do you make of the cats in the story?
    I really liked the childhood-adulthood comparisons - about how pointless and sad it can be, how much you have to give up of childhood to become an adult.

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    I definitely need to read it again. Although I was unable to put it down, I found myself unsatisfied upon finishing it. Honestly, I don't think I get it. I need more time with it.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

your veil is quietly becoming none roominmyheart's Avatar
    ^ I can understand that - there's something you're longing for but not quite sure what

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Have you read Amanda Palmer's blog entry about the book. She's very excited about it - and loves it.

I think it is interesting how much of his work has been adapted for television and movie theaters. I mean, I did the whole Wikipedia top to bottom read about him, and I watched and Interview he did in Melbourne that is almost two hours long where he talks about all the stuff of his that has been filmed for tv or movies. And I think he has to be up there with the most adapted for screen authors of all time.

I've not read Stardust but I loooove that movie, btw.

I stopped reading The Graveyard Book. I couldn't get anywhere with it. But I checked out American Gods and it looks to be much more of what I look for in a novel.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    Please read Stardust as it is leaps and bounds better than the movie. Also, American Gods is amazing and there are rumors that it is being developed for an HBO series!
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

Yep, the Stardust film was awful. Awful. Awful. Awful.
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.

Neil said that while Amanda recorded her album he stayed at a friends house in Florida to write Ocean....

I assume Tori's house???

^yes, that's right - he mentions it in the acknowledgments at the end of the book.
    Von Herzen möge es wieder zu Herzen gehn'

Quote Originally Posted by roominmyheart View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for starting the thread.
    For some reason, this felt like a "lighter" read than his other books - which I really didn't mind. I didn't feel like I had to know mythology or history to really "get" the story, although I have lots of questions still. It wasnt quite what I was expecting (I thought more time/plot would be about the Ocean) but I still enjoyed it very much. I liked bringing in the food throughout the story, although I wasn't always sure if there were deeper connections between specific foods mentioned - or really, the songs or book passages either, because I wasn't familiar with all of them.
    Who do you think the Hampstocks are? Fate? Gods? Magical?
    Whose funeral is it? I kept thinking it might be his fathers for some reason.
    I also was very aware that he was never named in the story, but it never bothered me.
    I was never quite married to the belief that the "flea" was bad - why was she so bad if she just was trying to give people what they want? How was that connected to the evil acts she carried out? It almost seemed like those were two separate characters.
    I know of the significance of cats in Neil Gaiman's life, but what do you make of the cats in the story?
    I really liked the childhood-adulthood comparisons - about how pointless and sad it can be, how much you have to give up of childhood to become an adult.
    I kept thinking the Funeral would have some significance to the story, as being his father's or one of the Hempstocks.

In many ways, I think the Flea's evil is in the old adage "Be careful what you wish for" The lodger got what he wanted, and it ruined him. People want money, but it tears them apart. Children want to grow up, but all it does is steal their innocence and magic. What wasn't clear was exactly why the Flea wanted to do this, does she get her power from people's destruction? I suppose it was inconsequential to the advancement of the plot.

I remember the narrator mentioned what his father called him, a nickname of sorts, that did have a proper name in it. (I think during the scene in the Fairy Ring?) but I don't believe that was his real name.

The Hempstocks, while clearly a stand-in for the Mother Maiden Crone goddesses, I read to be a culmination of that "feminine mystical knowledge", knowing the secrets of this world makes them it's protectors. I don't have a much deeper understanding of them yet, as I think he presents them quite intentionally vaguely.

Sandman prequel coming.

Not reading this thread, yet, since my last reply because I just purchased "The Ocean.." No Spoilers. I am just now getting deep into American Gods. Won't read Ocean til after AGs.
    I've never paid this much money for a novel. BooksAMillion didn't have it. Neither bookstores downtown had it. "Get it online," they all said. "I want it now," I said.
    And I was told at my book club meeting it is #1 on the NY Times List. I guess it has to be since no major booksellers have it.
    BUT - the mom&pop store in New Albany called "Destinations" had one copy. 30 bucks. I really don't mind.. I'm supporting an independent bookseller.. but goodness me. And if you're ever in New Albany, Indiana and you want to go to a bookstore where the people are friendly as all get out, real book lovers, and you're not afraid to throw down a pretty penny. Look them up

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Alan View Post
    Please read Stardust as it is leaps and bounds better than the movie. Also, American Gods is amazing and there are rumors that it is being developed for an HBO series!
    It's already been greenlit for 6 seasons. I'm wondering if they cast some really big names otherwise it's a HUGE leap of faith

Neil recently responded to this rumor on his Twitter that this is not true. (on June 30)