Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Neil Gaiman Thread

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I just finished American Gods yesterday. Probably one of my top 5 favorite novels ever. Being a Tori Amos fan for so long I don't really know why I never picked up one of his books before now. I see the appeal, now.
    The novel is so original - so abstract - and so easy to follow (escape into).
    The way each story is layered on top of the next is exquisite. Even the stories where Shadow isn't present keeps the same tone or "voice" (if that is the right word) so the reading experience is really smooth.. and this is a rather long novel - it took me quite a long time to read it, anyhow. I also just wanted to make sure I had all the characters right and understood how they could possibly foreshadow things later on in the book and how their introductions payed off in the end.

I don't think I've read a book like this, ever. When we get to the "I Love Lucy" scene.. that was when I knew this book was bad ass.
    But my favorite parts of the novel were the scenes with Laura. It's probably one of the most mesmerizing love stories. And that is the wonderful thing about a romance.. it can be the heart of a work in any genre.

And praise all things that are good and well that this book wasn't swamped with Greek and Roman stories. I've had my full/fill/feel with those stories. They've been done backwards, forwards, down and upside down. A lot of the Old Gods in this book were one's ive never heard of or only just barely heard of.. and it was really rewarding to have some light shined on them and probably really difficult or let's say more difficult for Neil Gaiman to research and figure out how they'd propel the story. Kudos.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

Quote Originally Posted by RisingPhoenix View Post
    It's already been greenlit for 6 seasons. I'm wondering if they cast some really big names otherwise it's a HUGE leap of faith
    Six seasons? I could see six hour long episodes.

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar
    Just finished Duckpond. I felt the plot a tad like Coraline's, though I have only spoiled the latter for myself.
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."

Quote Originally Posted by Canoodlefish View Post
    Just finished Duckpond. I felt the plot a tad like Coraline's, though I have only spoiled the latter for myself.
    Yeah. I think he already kind of covered this territory in Coraline. But some of the prose in the last half is lovely.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Savage View Post
    Six seasons? I could see six hour long episodes.
    Just done with American Gods, bet he'd flesh out a lot more characters/gods. I find the pleasure I derived from the book is more from having my predictions proven right than from the surprises, or that's only possible because I'm more savvy maybe and definitely because Sandman has ruined everything. And of course

I feel his oeuvre is like a one-trick pony with infinite variations, but that man can certainly write e.g. Smokes & Mirrors.

Is Sandman a collection of comic books or an entire novel? I want to read Sandman but when I go on Amazon or to the Library I have all kinds of roadblocks.

Well, I finished Ocean..

I loved the cut and snip section of the book. All in all, it was a pretty awesome read.

Is Sandman a collection of comic books or an entire novel? I want to read Sandman but when I go on Amazon or to the Library I have all kinds of roadblocks.

Well, I finished Ocean..

I loved the cut and snip section of the book. All in all, it was a pretty awesome read.
    Sandman is a comic series that has been collected into 10 volumes according to the story arcs; Gaiman has also added a prequel/sequel of sorts of collection to the series called Endless Nights.

Done with Neverwhere, Anansi Boys next! So thrilled to find out Cumberbatch to be Islington, only to be disappointed that it was only for radio.

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    Spoilers for Ocean under the cut.

Last edited by stillorbiting; 07-21-2013 at 08:31 PM.

this tornado loves you UnderTheFunk's Avatar
    Wow. That's a heavy interpretation that I think works.

While I got a deep sense of sadness from the story, I felt like I'd missed a large piece of the puzzle.

I'm a little sad that Sandman is 'resurrected' in Overture. I thought The Wake a most fitting closure and Endless Nights a nice little addendum. I'll still buy Overture of course.
    Last edited by Canoodlefish; 07-24-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by just asterisms View Post
    Spoilers for Ocean under the cut.

Wow, that does make sense, now that you put it that way.

Neil did something with the Hunger Birds that he did with the helicopters in American Gods.

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    Oh, very nice catch. It's been so long since I've read AG that I never would have thought of that connection. The two are so similar that it definitely doesn't feel like nothing. Maybe he does naively believe that all messes get sorted out eventually, or maybe it's his way of trying to explain how all of these fantastical things go on under the radar, unnoticed by most people. If the concept of an otherworldly cleanup crew is that interesting to him, I'd very much like to see him flesh it out more.

Wow, that does make sense, now that you put it that way.

Neil did something with the Hunger Birds that he did with the helicopters in American Gods.

I guess the analogy can be extended to the Birds in Anansi Boys, which I just finished reading and didn't expect I'd enjoy so much, chuckling here and there. His debt to Wodehouse is quite pronounced, from gruntled to the morning pick-me-up. Wasn't acquainted with the other authors in the dedication.

ETA: When Rosie commented on Spider's wonderful smell, this came to mind:

Last edited by Canoodlefish; 07-28-2013 at 05:34 PM.

I have Ocean on my to-read list, but I still haven't got round to it... I used to read all the Gaiman texts (novels, short stories, comics) as soon as I had them in my sight - this time I don't really feel the pull, though. Is it worth reading? How would you encourage someone who knows most of Gaiman's work to read this one?