Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh My LORDE, the majorly fantastic LORDE thread

Hurt people hurt people too toriMODE's Avatar

Oh My LORDE, the majorly fantastic LORDE thread

From wikipedia:

Ella Yelich-O'Connor (born 7 November 1996), better known by her stage name Lorde (/ˈlɔrd/),is a New Zealand singer-songwriter. She released her first EP The Love Club in March 2013 and her second single "Tennis Court" in June 2013. The artist's debut album Pure Heroine is scheduled for a September 2013 release.

Post all things LORDE here.

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    I've listened to The Love Club EP and the Tennis Courts single on repeat, and it's just brilliant, well-executed pop. She's magnificent! And ONLY 16! Pure Heroine is one of my most anticipated albums of the year. This gal is the real deal.
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Ditto! "Royals" and "Tennis Court" are fab. I need to listen to the rest of The Love Club EP. Super, super excited for the record.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Hurt people hurt people too toriMODE's Avatar
    I watched and listened to the Royals video for the first time this morning, and I thought it was pretty clever, although I didn't really get the meaning of the video (if there was a deeper meaning)? Regardless, I'm looking forward to this teenage pop machine.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    Unsurprisingly, Lorde is getting major attention here (in NZ) where everyone is giddy about her overseas success. She is doing a free show next month which, I think, will elevate her standing here even higher.

The Love Club EP is so great (and my favourite song is The Love Club) and I am really, REALLY looking forward to Pure Heroine!

^I'm glad to hear she's being embraced in NZ.

Definitely one of my favorite discoveries this year. I was instantly taken with her when I listened to Tennis Court, and I honestly love every song she's officially released at this point. Knowing there's 8 new songs to look forward to on her debut is really exciting. Hoping it lives up to everything we've heard and she continues this upward streak!

A friend posted the "Royals" video on Facebook and I thought it was fabulous. I really need to check out the rest of her work. Hooray for another September release to anticipate. !

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    Lorde held a showcase here last night, and included some of her new songs (descriptions and photos, not audio, at the link)

Setlist:

1. Bravado
    2. Tennis Court
    3. Buzzcut Season
    4. Ribs
    5. Love Club
    6. Royals
    7. White Teeth Teens
    8. 400 Lux
    9. A World Alone

Buzzcut Season
    Lydia: This had quite a mellow, bass-heavy, club vibe, which had a simplicity that worked beautifully with her vocals that ranged from reflective and melancholic, to impassioned. The general lyrical theme seemed to be about the trouble of reconciling the different sides of the world - war zones and disasters ("explosions on TV") vs our lives of safety and ease. "On the news, they try to tell us all that we could lose, but it's so easy in this blue, where everything is good" was my favourite bit.

Chris: This reminded me of Miike Snow's Animal, with its shimmering electro vibe, ravey bass beat and feel-good vocals. It felt more upbeat and even a little trancey - perhaps it's her festival-friendly hands-in-the-air anthem in waiting. As always, it's Lorde's voice at the centre of the song - and she nailed it.
    Ribs
    Lydia: This had a slow-building, pulsating intensity that reminded me a bit of The Naked And Famous track The Sun at first, but Lorde's really cool, deep vocals built up to an explosion of, "I've never felt more alone". It tapped into a youthful vulnerability that we haven't really heard from her yet, which was cool.

Chris: A beautifully tender coming-of-age ballad that comes with a footstomping bass thump, ghostly background vocals and Lorde cooing the line, "It feels scary getting old". I wonder what it feels like being 16 going on 36.
    White Teeth Teens

Lydia: This looks like it might be the next single and she performed it straight after Royals, which was pretty bold, and it stood up really well. It showed off a slightly smokey, jazz-influenced voice, and a really bouncy, open, drum line, plus some cool, layered, vocoder-ish vocals at the end. It seems the clique-y, contrary nature of being a teenager continues to provide ample lyrical material, but no one does it better than Lorde.

Chris: A stunner and the obvious choice from tonight's new material for a next single. It comes with soaring vocals reminiscent of Kimbra, an off-kilter marching band drum beat and an outro with multi-layered vocals that will send shivers down your spine.
    400 Lux

Lydia: This had a booming, hip-hop kind of beat, loads of attitude, and the sort of strong pop hooks that made Royals a hit. Unfortunately I couldn't decipher many vocals in this one, but definitely looking forward to hearing the recorded version.

Chris: This was actually my favourite song of the night - I love the slurred hip-hop beats that Lorde flows over perfectly before unleashing a jagged chorus. You could imagine Juicy J and The Weeknd doing amazing things with a remix. I can't wait to hear the album version.
    A World Alone

Lydia: Another one with real club appeal, a strong dance beat, and nicely rhythmic vocals. I can't be sure that I heard this right, but I think there was a line that went "Maybe the internet raised us, or maybe people are jerks". Brilliant.

Chris: It kind of reminded me of Florence and the Machine with its lengthy "ooh-oooh" vocal refrains. It seems like a perfect set closer and I love that she left the stage as a sample saying "people are talking" looped over and over. Are they what.

They played Royals on the mainstream pop radio here in Orlando yesterday! Wheeeee!!
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

I think Royals is doing very well on the charts and such. I've been hearing it regularly on a radio station in Seattle.

She's number 2 on the iTunes US store. Insane! I've heard it on a few of the local top 40 stations in San Francisco, too. So happy this is a hit! We need artists like Lorde on radio. Her success gives me total 90s nostalgia but also feels fresh and exciting .

I heard "Royals" down here on a local radio station tonight!

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    Heard Royals on the radio here in Phoenix and I flipped out!!

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    The girl who shares an office with me has the local mainstream pop station (106.1 KISS FM) on all day every day, and they've been playing Royals just about every hour for the past month. I love that, but I also try to drown it out with my own playlists and podcasts cuz I don't want to tire of it! Good for Lorde, though!
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.