Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: ARTPOP Live Performances

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSaliva View Post

I think it is wonderful that Gaga, who is an international superstar, still approaches her work and audience as an independent avant-garde artist. I am excited by the fact that she continues to challenge the definition of pop music and what a pop star is or should be.

I have always viewed Gaga as having one foot in the shallow end of the pop music scene as a means of leading her audience into a much deeper, intellectual conversation and experience. The music serves as a gateway drug.

Me too!
    Life. Some of it's valuable, some of it's junk, but all of it is odd.

Wait, what is Swine 'about'?

My friend who saw the show loved it, though it was short. The vomit-art thing sounds pretty unappealing to me, personally, but it's certainly different.

Quote Originally Posted by bratboy View Post

My friend who saw the show loved it, though it was short. The vomit-art thing sounds pretty unappealing to me, personally, but it's certainly different.
    She's never explicitly said what it's about, minus last night when she said it was about rage and rape, and when she did it for the first time at the iTunes festival and said it was about one of the worst things that happened to her.

She should've had someone taken a dump on her during Dope!

Mr. Phelps Boyfriend TASpark658's Avatar
    Lmfao Sloppy.

It didn't seem avant-garde she seemed desperate to be shocking, there was no heart or art in that. I love the girl but she has to get it together lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bratboy View Post

I'm kind of going out on a limb here, but I think that song is about Perez Hilton.
    all i want to do is take naps on the sun

I don't know... I think that If you are going to talk about rape, you don't do it with a girl vomiting all over you white you ride a mechanical bull. But that's just my opinion.
    (Btw, If she didn't say that "Swine" was about rape, I would've thought it was about superficial people)
    Last edited by waitressboy; 03-15-2014 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Typo
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

ice cream and pizza Father Lucifer's Avatar
    Swine works much better live. I wish the studio version began as a girl and piano instrumental and then build to the dizzying industrial Berlin-beat tune it is.

I'm not really into performance art most of the time so the puke thing does nothing for me but I'm not offended or outraged by it. Like Jake said, she's done something similar before.

I'm more confused about her saying Swine is about rape. Um, how? I mean, she wrote it, so I guess she's entitled to say that it's about whatever she wants, but a line-by-line reading of the song's lyrics don't give me ANYTHING about rape or sexual violence. It gives me drug/popper-fueled sex. (which is why I like it, because YAY haha)

I mean, unless she's singing from the point of view of a rapist, but if that's true, then I would REALLY dislike the song and not want to listen to it. I don't even think it works that way, though.

This is par for the course with her, honestly. I find that she frequently makes statements about her songs and her music that aren't supported by the actual music, lyrics, or production, especially as it relates to Artpop.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    I'm not really into performance art most of the time so the puke thing does nothing for me but I'm not offended or outraged by it. Like Jake said, she's done something similar before.

I'm more confused about her saying Swine is about rape. Um, how? I mean, she wrote it, so I guess she's entitled to say that it's about whatever she wants, but a line-by-line reading of the song's lyrics don't give me ANYTHING about rape or sexual violence. It gives me drug/popper-fueled sex. (which is why I like it, because YAY haha)

I mean, unless she's singing from the point of view of a rapist, but if that's true, then I would REALLY dislike the song and not want to listen to it. I don't even think it works that way, though.

This is par for the course with her, honestly. I find that she frequently makes statements about her songs and her music that aren't supported by the actual music, lyrics, or production, especially as it relates to Artpop.
    And this is exactly why I find her to be insincere and will do anything for attention. Now Swine is about rape and I'm like huh?

I don't think it's that big of a stretch, but I agree that it's not immediate and could totally be a shoehorned explanation for the song. Still, she talked about the darkness behind it before SXSW, so I don't think the puking/rape comment was just for that performance.

If we're looking at the lyrics, I could see it like this:

Someone else:
    Hush up, don't speak, don't wanna hear another (not another word from you)
    You're just an ani-mal trying to act real special (but deep down you are just a shrew)

Gaga:
    Maybe I should have a little more just to stay out of my mind
    'Cause it's when I'm not thinking with you that I act like a swine!
    Act like a swine! Act like a swine!

Then Gaga takes the chorus, and the second verse is structured the same as the one above. *shrug*

[ validated ]
    *YAWN*
    Last edited by C33; 03-16-2014 at 08:50 PM.

The K-Pop group, Crayon Pop, will be the opening act for the artRAVE June 26 - July 24.

Meh.

If she was going in this direction, I wish she had selected BabyMetal.

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    She's announced more tour dates.

July 22 - Staples Center - Los Angeles, CA - 3/31
    July 30 - US Airways Center - Phoenix, AZ - 3/28
    Aug 1 - MGM Grand Las Vegas Garden Arena - Las Vegas, NV - 3/28
    Aug 2 - Harrah's & Harveys Lake Tahoe - Stateline, NV - 3/28
    Aug 4 - Energy Solutions Arena - Salt Lake City, UT - 3/28
    Aug 6 - Pepsi Center - Denver, CO - 3/28