Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Supernatural. Jerk. Bitch.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar

Supernatural. Jerk. Bitch.

I can't help but think of Tori when thinking about the season finale. "Angels are falling." Maybe California, the gift that keeps on giving.

New season. I'm not super looking forward to it. I found most of last season to be a major disappointment. The dog episode? Ugh. But I do miss my boys.

Outtakes from last season (the Dean bits at the LARP thing are my favorite parts)

Misha's twitter is also entertaining and pretty much the whole reason I joined. The tweets "he" did in The French Mistake were also posted in real time onto the real Mischa's feed. He posts amazing videos of his kids.

I just watched all seasons on Couch Tuner. I too was meh on the last season, but I really can't wait for this new one.

I have a question for Supernatural fans. I recently bought seasons 1 - 5 on DVD because so many people I know said I'd like it. I watched the first season, which was good but not great. Does the show get better? I want to watch seasons 2 - 5 but some of season 1 was a real chore to watch. It was very cliched and formulaic. I did love the main story line though. It was more the episodic stuff that was eyeroll inducing.

Yes, the show gets better. The cliches and formulas don't really go away too much, but the character development that happens makes up for it. I loved S1 from the beginning, but when I watch the reruns on TNT, I can't help but notice how slow they are compared to later seasons.

I think 4-7 are my favorite seasons. The show isn't perfect, but I just love the interaction with the (main) characters. I think that's what makes the show.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    I enjoyed the show initially for the hot people, then for the riffing on classic horror (at the time, there was very little actual horror on tv.) Some of it is as corny as any trashy horror movie, and some of it is a brilliant as an episode of Buffy, but it is compulsive viewing the more you watch it. It has some of the most meta episodes ever, but it always has a tongue firmly in cheek so it never takes itself too seriously. There's some brilliant comedy threading through the whole show as well, and so many injokes and winks to the audience that the more you know about the show and the fandom, the better it gets. I mean, they even went so far as to introduce a series of books within the show's world, that are about the events of Sam & Dean's lives, and reference previous episodes. And then go even further to talk about a fanatical online fanbase for these books, and how fans are writing their own slash fiction. Which of course is what happens among the fanbase of the tv show. I don't know of many shows that are so obviously aware of their fan base, and manage to play to them as well as staying true to the show at the same time. They don't so much break the fourth wall, as much as they just sit on it.

But the amount of referencing that goes on throughout the series just makes me squee with joy. Especially stuff like the classic horror episode, or the tv game show stuff with the trickster, and it pulls on such a wealth of mythology and supernatural superstition that it can sometimes be a bit overwhelming, and I find myself turning to google to find out more about some of the creatures introduced or the mythology being referenced.

There's a great episode where all these old gods and things from different mythologies are all in the same room for an auction, and I couldn't help but think of Gaiman's "American Gods". Or the one where the brothers get jumped to an alternate reality where they are playing actors who are on a show which is the supernatural set? It could have been a disaster, but stuff like featuring Jared's real wife as his wife, who had also previously played one of the series' villains, and Mischa tweeting on set, and the classic "I'm something called a Jared Padalecki?" had me roaring laughing when I watched it. (and yes, Jared's dad is Polish) And that episode's title "The French Mistake" refers to the famous "breaking the fourth wall" scene in "Blazing Saddles", which also manages to be one of many references in the show to homosexuality. (there's a long running joke about the brothers being a couple when they check into motels, which is also a wink to the audience who ship them together...)

But all throughout, there's that core relationship between the two brothers, which really gives the drive throughout the 8 seasons so far. The first season was ok, true, but not brilliant, but it gets so good over the course of the 8 years so far. But the intertextuality of the show is so much of the enjoyment for me personally.

About the upcoming season - I'm pretty exciting to see how Mischa Collins plays Castiel now that he is human and has to experience the reality of humanity as opposed to just being this interested observer who can feck away any time he likes, and really has no actual idea of what the human experience is.

Oh, here's the sneak peek at the upcoming season that I posted in the tv thread:

Also, no Supernatural thread is complete without this:

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm going to start season 2 soon and I'm excited about it!

So happy I found a gif to match the thread title.

This is also a good reason to watch, even if you're not super into Sam:

And a little bit of JA tushie.

I think this will always be one of my favorite shows ever. I don't always enjoy it, but overall, it's a winner for me. I love the Winchesters. I love the humor. I love the fierce love and loyalty they have for each other and their friends/family. I still remember the first time I saw it, many years ago. I was channel surfing and just happened to stop for a moment on this show that was in mid-story. Something about it caught my attention and I ended up watching the rest of that episode, not knowing anything about the story and never even having heard of the show at the time. I can remember what happened in that episode, but I'd have to go hunting to figure out which one it was. But, from that partial episode, I was hooked. I immediately got my boyfriend at the time to dl all previous eps/seasons, and I've been a huge fan ever since. I'm looking forward to the new season.

I follow a mess of SPN pinterest boards, as I'm not really into tumblr. Plus there are tons of things on cheezburger regularly too, so I find lots of SPN stuff.

This is why I wanted to start this thread:

Plus, random Mischa stuff

werewolves, not swear-wolves Chalk's Avatar
    Thread subscribed!

There have been ups and downs, but I think the show redeemed itself this last season. I'm really looking forward to the new season.

Totally - I think last season it really got back on track a lot better. Especially that finale! I was gasping and grabbing onto a pillow at that scene. I didn't know if they'd actually go there with the angels all falling.