Page 1 of 811 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: Unrepentant Geraldines: News, Articles & Reviews

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar

Unrepentant Geraldines: News, Articles & Reviews

More important than the new album release are the rules of this forum. Please abide by them and do not ask for or share links/mp3s of officially released material.

Do not post download links for officially-released content including, but not limited to, albums, singles, movies, or television shows. If official sources have made these items available, you may link to those websites only (for instance, if a record company streams a single or album). You may also use the Soundcloud tags here on the forum to share Soundcloud files in threads.
    This shall be the topic for all information on Tori's new album, Unrepentant Geraldines, to be released on May 13, 2014. Major announcements will be posted in this first post.

Go here for the Fan Reaction Thread
    Go here for the Charts/Sales Thread

Artwork for the album

Artwork for the first single, Trouble's Lament

Artwork for the second single, Promise

Behind the scenes videos

Promo shots

The album's tracklist...

...and the three bonus tracks (so far!)

Album reviews

NEW * NPR, an essay by Ann Powers featuring Alex Macpherson (the Guardian), Sady Doyle (In These Times), T. Cole Rachel (V magazine) and Katie Presley (Bitch), May 13, 2014
    NEW * Paste Magazine, by Stephen M. Deusner, May 13, 2014, 7.4 over 10
    NEW * The AV Club, by Annie Zaleski, May 13, 2014, A-
    NEW * The Talk House, by Owen Palett, May 13, 2014
    NEW * Boston Globe, by Sarah Rodman, May 13, 2014
    NEW * In These Times, by Sady Doyle, May 12, 2014
    NEW * All Music, by Stephen Thomas Erlewine, May 12, 2014, 4 stars over 5
    NEW * Slant Magazine, by Paul Rice, May 12, 2014, 2.5 stars over 5
    NEW * Laut.de, by Kai Butterweck, May 12, 2014 [in German], 5 stars over 5
    * The Arts Desk, by Lisa-Marie Ferla, May 11, 2014, 3 stars over 5
    * The Financial Times, by Ludovic Hunter-Tilney, May 9, 2014, 3 stars over 5
    * News.de, May 9, 2014 [in German]
    * Exclaim.ca, by Liisa Ladouceur, May 9, 2014, 8 over 10
    * Ampya, by Tom Walter, May 9, 2014 [in German], 8 over 10
    * Wondering Sound, by Katherine St. Asaph, May 9, 2014
    * Renowned for Sound, by Brendon Veevers, May 9, 2014, 5 stars over 5
    * Pop Matters, by Enio Chiola, May 9, 2014, 6 over 10
    * The Guardian, by Dave Simpson, May 8, 2014, 3 stars over 5
    * Metro Weekly, by Chris Gerard, May 8, 2014
    * L'Express, Paola Genone, May 07, 2014 [in French]
    * The New York Times, by Jon Pareles, May 7, 2014
    * Spiegel, by Jan Wigger [in German], 8.6 over 10
    * Target Audience Magazine, by Brad Stier, May 5th, 2014
    * Tribe Online, by G.erald [in German]
    * So So Gay Magazine, by Greg White, May 3rd, 2014 4 stars over 5
    * Attitude Magazine, by Ben Kelly, May 2014 4 stars out of 5

* Hot Press, by John Walshe, April 24, 2014 3 stars and a half
    * Trebuchet Magazine, Alexander Hay, April 24, 2014

Concert Reviews
    * Review of the 7/5 first Dublin show in The Irish Times, by Laurence Mackin, May 8, 2014
    * Review of the 7/5 first Dublin show in Independent.ie, by Ed Power, May 8, 2014
    * Review of the Rough Trade, 29/4 New York gig in Brooklyn Magazine, by Chris Chafin, May 1st, 2014

Interviews
    NEW * Interview with Pop Matters, by Matt Azur, May 12, 2014
    NEW * Interview with Vice's Noisey, by Leonie Cooper, May 12, 2014
    NEW * Interview with Grammy.com by Bryan Reesman, May 12, 2014
    NEW * Video interview with Telerama, by Jean-Baptiste Roch and Alice Gancel, May 12, 2014 [In English with French subtitles]
    NEW * Video interview with Au feminin. TV, by Claire Aubier, May 12, 2014 [In English with French subtitles]
    * Interview with News.de, May 9, 2014 [In German]
    * Video interviews on RTL France, by Mathilde Cesbron & Fanny Bonjean, May 9, 2014 [Videos in English, text in French]
    * Interview with the Birmingham Post, by Adrian Caffery, May 9, 2014
    NEW * Interview with HD Tracks, May 8, 2014 (under the spoiler)

* Interview with The Fader, by Jessica Robertson, May 8, 2014
    * Video interviews with Rolling Stone Germany, by Markus Brandstetter, May 8, 2014
    * Interview with Next Magazine, by John Russell, May 8, 2014
    * Newsday, by Bryan Reesman, May 7, 2014
    * Interview with The Irish Times, by Lauren Murphy, May 7, 2014
    * Interview with the Huffington Post, by Noah Michelson, May 5th, 2014
    * Interview with Radio.com, by Brian Ives, May 5th, 2014
    * Interview with the Sunday Post, by Bill Gibb, May 3rd, 2014
    * Interview with the London Evening Standard, by Sam Fishwick, May 3rd, 2014
    * Manchester Evening News, by Sarah Walters, May 2nd, 2014
    * Interview with Just Music.fr, by Vincent Kheng, April 30, 2014 [in French]
    * Interview with Metro, by John Lewis, April 28, 2014
    * Interview on The Age (Australia), by Jane Wheatley, April 26, 2014
    * Interview with A Heart Is a Space, by Matt Rushanda, April 25, 2014
    * Interview with The Independent, by Craig McLean, April 25, 2014
    * Interview with Rolling Stone, by Ryan Reed March 28, 2014
    * Interview with Broadway World, March 28, 2014
    * Interview with IOL (South Africa), March 26, 2014

Tori was the cover of Next Magazine

Radio and TV appearances/interviews
    NEW * Video reportage on Austria's ORF’s ZIB Zeit im Bild.

NEW * Interview with Bill and Louise on BBC Breakfast where the first video footage of Trouble's Lament is played

NEW * Interview with Rachel Martin on NPR
    * Interview with Phil Marriott on Gaydio
    * Tori was on VH1's Big Morning Buzz Live. She performed Trouble's Lament and gave an interview
    Or watch here (if you're outside of the US)

* Katie Couric interviews Tori on her show

* Tori performs Trouble's Lament, Selkie and Crucify on Soundcheck WNYC. Download the set and the interview on their website and watch a video of the performance here

* Performance in NYC on the 29th of April
    Pre-order the new Tori Amos album Unrepentant Geraldines at Rough Trade NYC starting at 9AM on April 29th to receive one wristband good for access to a Tori Amos autograph signing and an intimate performance starting at 7pm that evening. Space is limited.
    Also, SPIN will also be live-streaming the performance on April 29, just before 7 p.m. EST and is also offering 5 passes for the event.
    * Interview with Laura Rawlings on BBC Radio Bristol
    * Another interview on BBC Radio Stoke with James Watt which you can listen to. It starts around minute 27'.
    * Tori had a conversation with Alex Brown on Minster FM. You can download it here.
    * Tori was the Artist of the Day on France5's C'est à Vous where she performed Trouble's Lament solo. You can watch it in this spoiler.

* Tori was on France Inter's On va tour y passer with André Manoukian where she played a solo version of Trouble's Lament.
    * Tori on BBC Radio Ulster with Gerry Kelly starting at 14:11
    * Tori interview on the Tony Fenton Show

* Tori interview on Fubar Radio

* Tori interview on BBC Radio Cornwall

* Interview on Radio Eins, premiere of the song Promise

News and updates
    NEW * Dixie can now be downloaded for free on Amazon UK

NEW * Unrepentant Geraldines is now released

* 16 Shades of Blue is added on Tori's Youtube channel

* Amazon is streaming the album until its release date.

* NPR on this week's All Songs Considered premieres 16 Shades of Blue. Hosts Bob Boilen and Robin Hilton discuss why "it's Amos' best record in 20 years"

* Unrepentant Selfie: Unrepentant Geraldines Tour Instagram Contest

Take a selfie at one of Tori's upcoming worldwide shows, post it to Instagram with the hashtag #unrepentantselfie and you could win a personally signed tour program from Tori!
    http://toriamos.com/unrepentantselfie/
    * Amazon is reporting another unreleased track on the special edition called Dixie

* Longer clips now on Itunes

* 30-second clips on JPC

* As per her Facebook page, Tori is apparently in Islington, shooting the video for Trouble's Laments. Here are some photos. Prior to that, a photo with her daughter was posted on her Instagram account.

* Preorder Unrepentant Geraldines on iTunes UK, US and Canada and download Selkie. iTunes lists a bonus song, White Telephone To God (02:25)

* New behind the scenes video posted above. Tori debuts Trouble's Lament and Selkie in first solo promo show in Berlin (in addition to performing Parasol, Lust, Ribbons Undone and Take to the Sky).

* Peeping Tommi has been kind enough to share his preliminary thoughts on the album and let us post them here. Please don't bombard him with questions!

* Toriamos.com announces a pre-order promotion to win front row tickets for the North American leg and UG Vinyl records

* Deutsche Grammophon reveals the duration of the tracklist on both the CD and the DVD
    Track List
    CD 1: Unrepentant Geraldines

1. America 4:11
    2. Trouble's Lament 3:41
    3. Wild Way 2:54
    4. Wedding Day 3:42
    5. Weatherman 4:38
    6. 16 Shades Of Blue 3:49
    7. Maids Of Elfen-Mere 2:50
    8. Promise 4:02
    9. Giant's Rolling Pin 4:09
    10. Selkie 4:05
    11. Unrepentant Geraldines 6:55
    12. Oysters 5:12
    13. Rose Dover 3:55
    14. Invisible Boy 4:56
    15. Forest Of Glass 5:08

Total Playing Time 1:04:07

DVD 2: Unrepentant Geraldines

1. America 2:18
    2. Unrepentant Geraldines 31:30
    3. Unrepentant Geraldines 5:32
    4. Trouble's Lament 3:40

Total Playing Time 43:00
    * Amazon.com reveals material of the Deluxe Edition
    This is the Deluxe Edition of Unrepentant Geraldines. This package is bound as a hard cover book with lyrics to every song, contains a bonus track entitled, Forest of Glass and includes a DVD that features video footage from Tori's photo shoot, studio work and interviews with the artist.
    * New 11-second message from Tori on amazon.com, March 27, 2014

Tori quotes

___

Full timeline
    Last edited by Rabih; 05-14-2014 at 09:27 PM.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I have never been so uneager for a Tori album. If it leaked today, I don't know that I would even bother to listen to it. Maybe with the build up, I'll get more excited, but mostly I'm just kind like "Already? Another one?"

I actually feel like nearly 5 years will have passed since her last proper pop record so I'm excited to see what that brings. I'm more excited for this than I was for NOH which actually exceeded any expectations I had for it.

next pop/rock album ?
    oh god, what to expect ...

Meh.

Expect nothing, never get disappointed.
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    I know this may be wishful thinking, but I feel like the 2014 album could really be the Tori release. Yes, AATS sucked in my opinion, but after NOH and LP I feel that Tori is going to produce a pop/rock record that is far from what she's attempted with her past two "pop/rock" records. I'm thinking that NOH/LP was probably really really good for her.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

Denn alles Fleisch, es ist wie Gras Malike-pakile's Avatar
    I can NOT wait for the first embarrassing artwork to leak!
    Aaww, I love new album threads! I just love them.

I still get excited for new Tori releases, and I think I always will. Tori Tour time is always the best. Of course, I don't have high expectations anymore. Those went away after The Beekeeper's release.

pummelled gall-nuts afloat in urine
    totes excites.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    At this point I'd be more excited about the release of old live shows, or remixed versions of anything going back to Scarlet, or a complete remastered set with unreleased material.

I feel like we're at the bottom of a downward spiral. She sucks more and more with every album, except maybe Night of Hunters... but IMO the ONLY reason NOH is better than what came before it is because she was re-writing/re-arranging classical pieces. Without that, who knows what horrors await us.

I do like the "piano is central" comment....yes keeping my expectations low

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    I'm definitely eager for another full-scale tour. I just hate that she needs to release another lackluster album to go with said tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    She sucks more and more with every album, except maybe Night of Hunters... but IMO the ONLY reason NOH is better than what came before it is because she was re-writing/re-arranging classical pieces. Without that, who knows what horrors await us.
    Maybe NOH will have given her a great idea : re-write/re-arrange pieces from her 2000s material from ADP, AATS and The Beekeeper in pop rock arrangements that make full use of new technology (like iieee and Cruel "remixes" on A Piano so clearly benefitted from new studio technology).
    "Get ready for Tori Amos' revolutionary new take on past hits Big Wheel, Not Dying Today and Cars And Guitars! As a minister's daughter, the once piano driven kooky popstress, now modern compositor, a rare status amongst women wearing high heels in classic Cadillacs, Tori Amos continues to wow tens and tens of record buying afficionados with her soothing and controversial clothing and woozy guitar riffs! Be sure not to miss this brand new release and catch Amos' new clothing line at Macy's! Batteries not included."

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    I was looking for a similar piano quote but I can't even remember what era it's from; didn't she say something like, "the piano is going to take the center" like way back in TBK days?

I'm with the general feeling---another album, already? I am already dreading the artwork and lyrics. And possible new face lift.

Well, I'm trying to keep my hopes up. After Tales, she started releasing really shitty material. She recently released a pseudo greatest hits record with "Gold Dust," so maybe it brings an end to this era and a new beginning for the next decade of material. A boy can hope, right?