Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Science is AWESOME!

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalk View Post
    Uncannily brings to mind the last line of Pandora's Aquarium: "The Lord of the Flies is diagnosed as sound..."

Higgs boson: is a result imminent?

Could the elusive Higgs boson finally be in sight? On his blog, physicist Tommaso Dorigo of the University of Padua writes about talk of a tentative hint of the Higgs at the Tevatron, a particle accelerator at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia, Illinois.

"It reached my ear, from two different, possibly independent sources, that an experiment at the Tevatron is about to release some evidence of a light Higgs boson signal. Some say a three-sigma effect, others do not make explicit claims but talk of a unexpected result," writes Dorigo
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

fulfiller of the mullet prophecy eednic's Avatar
    Rare, stinky corpse flower to bloom in Houston!

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...D9GRME7G3.html

07/09/2010

Associated Press

A rare, stinky corpse flower is expected to bloom this weekend in Houston.

Botanists at the Houston Museum of Natural Science are measuring the flower daily, and Friday said it stood nearly 5 feet tall and weighing 30 pounds. The museum's plant is nicknamed Lois after a former staff member's mother.

The Amorphophallus titanum — which is native to the Indonesian island of Sumatra — has only been seen in bloom in the United States 28 times, including twice in Texas, said Nancy Greig, the museum's Cockrell Butterfly Center director. The Latin name translates to "giant shapeless phallus."

When in bloom, the plants emit a foul odor that attracts pollinating carrion beetles hoping to lay their eggs in rotting flesh. The plant has a central stalk that is surrounded by a leafy, purple collar. Inside that stalk is a hollow gas chamber that heats its natural oil and emits the stinky smell for eight to 12 hours. It looks like a tower surrounded by a frilly, liver-colored Elizabethan collar, according to the Houston Chronicle. Thousands of male and female flowers surround the base.

The plant doesn't flower every year and when it does, it's only for two days. The flower can grow up to 200 pounds, and starts as a $75 walnut-sized corm.

A corpse flower bloomed in Nacogdoches in 2004 and the smell was so bad, fans surrounded the plant to blow the scent away so visitors could approach.

___

More info: Houston Museum of Natural Science, http://blog.hmns.org.

fulfiller of the mullet prophecy eednic's Avatar
    double post oooops
    Last edited by eednic; 07-11-2010 at 05:34 PM. Reason: your mom

I always thought this was one of God's greatest jokes: the largest flowers in the world smell like rotting flesh.

R136a1, Most Massive Star Ever Discovered, Is 320 Times Larger Than Sun

LONDON -- A huge ball of brightly burning gas drifting through a neighboring galaxy may be the heaviest star ever discovered - hundreds of times more massive than the sun, scientists said Wednesday after working out its weight for the first time.

Those behind the find say the star, called R136a1, may once have weighed as much as 320 solar masses. Astrophysicist Paul Crowther said the obese star - twice as heavy as any previously discovered - has already slimmed down considerably over its lifetime.

In fact, it's burning itself off with such intensity that it shines at nearly 10 million times the luminosity of the sun.
    Pics

4 propellered helicopter FTW

Okay, I guess this is more naturey than sciencey, so screw you for judging me.

Lightening over Athens

^^Wow!!!

Invisibility Cloak!

A material used for thousands of years could be key to creating a soft, Harry Potter-style invisibility cloak.

• Scientists create an invisibility cloak from silk.
    • Silk only interacts with terahertz waves, not visible light.
    • Silk-based metamaterials could become a basis for future generation of biomedical devices.

For thousands of years people have worn shimmering silk to stand out in a crowd. Within the next few years people could wear silk to become invisible in a a crowd.

For the first time ever, scientists have created an invisibility cloak made from silk, and coated in gold.

The new metamaterial, as invisibility cloaks and their kin are technically called, only works on relatively long terahertz waves (a region of the electromagnetic spectrum between radio and infrared light), but the Boston-area scientists who developed the technology think that silk could work as an invisibility cloak at much smaller wavelengths, even in the visible range.

The research could lead to a wide range of optically unique materials for use in biomedicine or defense.

"This is an unusual angle for a metamaterial because of silk's ability to interface with the human body," something that no other metamaterial is currently capable of, said Fiorenzo Omenetto, a scientist at Tufts University who, along with colleagues at Boston University, helped develop the silk-based metamaterial and detail their new research in the journal Advanced Materials.

"On the sensing side it gives you a platform that is very adaptable."

Invisibility cloaks, along with their optically exotic cousins, perfect absorbers and perfect reflectors and others, belong to a special class of materials known as metamaterials. Unlike most materials, which derive optical properties like color from their chemical make up, metamaterials derive their properties from the physical structure.

moar
    "Well, no, we're not making an invisibility cloak. I guess we could. I don't know. That's not really my line though. You won't write about us, unless I talk about an invisibility cloak? Okay. We're making an invisibility cloak. And we're going to ride it to the moon."

I was going to say pics or it didn't happened....

Closeup, maggots look HILARIOUS.

More pictures.

it looks like the two headed sandworm from Beetlejuice.
    Last edited by Mori; 08-25-2010 at 10:24 PM.

Hurt people hurt people too toriMODE's Avatar
    With fangs!

eeeek
    GSV Tarendai