Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett - Cheek to Cheek (duet album)

I don't think Artpop sucks, but I do think for a concept as gradiose as she purported it to be, the whole affair had a rather 'been there, done that' quality. When Born This Way came out I played the shit out of it for months. Artpop, on the other hand, I haven't felt the urge to listen to it since the first two weeks it was out.

I fucking love dance music, and I do not think this is any sort of masterpiece of the form. And I don't hate Gaga, though she can very easily put me off her for periods at a time. Oh, and I am pretty sure Joey isn't a hater, but actually a disappointed fan. Gaga has a ton of them.

Oh, completely. I'm a huge fan of hers, but just lately I find her exhausting.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    I hate the album because it sucks.
    I think that's why Cheek to Cheek is so refreshing to some.

My problem with Artpop was that the image never lined up with the music. I wasn't expecting Diamanda Galas obviously, but I was expecting good dance pop. Which it wasn't.

My bf however loves Cheek to Cheek, since he loves poppy jazz. I've listened to it twice and no desire to return, but happy to have it in the background while I do things though. That kind of album.

Got the shock of my life! silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soignee View Post
    My bf however loves Cheek to Cheek, since he loves poppy jazz. I've listened to it twice and no desire to return, but happy to have it in the background while I do things though. That kind of album.
    That's kind of where I'm at--I've heard better, so I'm not impressed, but I don't hate anything off it. It isn't something I thought I'd ever say about a Gaga album, however.

I actually saw this posted on a blog and loved it.

I don't think I have any interest in the duet album whatsoever, but this was awesome.

Cut the fillers(Jewels and Drugs,Mary Jane Holland,Dope and Fashion) and Artpop becomes her best record imho.It is creative and edgy while being vigorous and fun,a huge improvement over Born This Way in which she tried to do same thing and failed mostly.
    the draught was the very worst

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Not to mention the production isn't ear-stabbing like it is in Born This Way. I rarely listen to that album anymore because tracks like Americano, Highway Unicorn and Hair are so painfully busy, compressed and muddy.

^ Yeah, I don't like any of Born This Way, unfortunately. A lot of the reasons are because of production choices. But I really love about half of Artpop, which is a step in the right direction for me. Fame Monster is still my favorite and the most consistent of her albums.

ARTPOP is a nice pop album, but after she was talking about it being something soooo great, I was underwhelmed. I'd definitely not exclude Fashion and Dope, Fashion has single potential and reminds me of Get Lucky, while Dope is just so passionate, idk why it gets the hate. I'd gladly kick off everything in the GUY - Manicure stretch + Mary Jane Holland (which I LOVE, but objectively it's just wtf and totally not necessary for a good cohesive record), making it a good 10-track album.

I remember being soo excited for it, especially when she revealed Aura and Venus. Oh well. I think the general reception would've been much different depending on her own interviews and announcements. A little more down-to-earthness and less pretentiousness can do wonders (looking at you Fori as well).

BTW is definitely my fave, the production can get a tad too busy, especially in the title track, but most of the songs are just so good! The success here suffered from, again, her behaviour and very wrong singles choices. First the title track was getting the Express Yourself-copy-accusations, then Judas was... well, Judas. Had she released singles 3-5 as 1-3, everything would've been better IMO.

Cheek to Cheek is so nice. I don't listen to it much, but can't deny the quality. I'd love it if Parov Stelar's remix of I Can't Give You... became a hit.
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

With Lady Gaga, you really can't take anything she says for face value. She's made grandiose claims about her music since the beginning. I wish she would let the music speak for itself more, and I'm hoping she does for the next record.

I'm excited that Lady and Tony will be gigging this project next year, Cheek to Cheek has barely left my cd player since it got in.

I like Artpop a lot but the entire imagery and campaign was a hot fucking mess. And the tour looked like a disaster. But I found the outfits, promo and cohesion of the CTC campaign to be so charming and on point. Great performances. That Bang Bang one was epic. The Blu Ray/DVD of their concert show comes out on 1/20.

1 – Anything Goes
    2 – Cheek To Cheek
    3 – They All Laughed
    4 – Lady’s In Love With You (Tony Bennett Solo)
    5 – Nature Boy
    6 – Goody Goody
    7 – How Do You Keep The Music Playing? (Tony Bennett Solo)
    8 – Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) (Lady Gaga Solo)
    9 – Bewitched Bothered and Bewildered (Lady Gaga Solo)
    10 – Firefly
    11 – I Won’t Dance
    12 – Don’t Wait Too Long (Tony Bennett Solo)
    13 – I Can’t Give You Anything But Love
    14 – Lush Life (Tony Solo)
    15 – Sophisticated Lady (Tony Bennett Solo)
    16 – Let’s Face The Music And Dance
    17 – Ev’ry Time We Say Goodbye (Lady Gaga Solo)
    18 – But Beautiful
    19 – It Don’t Mean A Thing (If It Ain’t Got That Swing)

^Are you sure Lush Life is Tony's song? Lady Gaga covered it on the record.

I just copied and pasted so I'm not sure.