Thread: Factory-unlocking an iPhone.

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar

Exclamation Factory-unlocking an iPhone.

Not quite sure this is the right place for this but...

I want to factory-unlock my iPhone (so that I can use it with any other SIM card/mobile company); I don't mind paying for it as long as it's not outrageous and I definitely don't want any software or strange hardware-based unlocking. I want it to be permanent and damage-free. As in, factory unlocking it.

I found this website which does support all iPhones from pretty much all carries from all over the world. The price is $20 (which to me sounds pretty decent; there was some hardware-based unlocking around here for $80).

My question is...have you guys done this online? Do you know any better websites? Should I go for this one?

[ validated ]
    I haven't done it..but I'd go for a different site. A quick search revealed some pretty bad reviews:

http://www.scambook.com/company/view...ngSolutionscom
    http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...s-c621858.html

I ended up exchanging my phone for another one exactly like the one I had (albeit slightly better cared for), but under the carrier I'm moving my service to.

Thanks for checking, though!

[ validated ]
    That was probably a better choice. Glad you found a solution!

It may vary from country to country, but in the US a phone is carrier locked until the contract is paid off. For instance, I have a two-year contract with AT&T because I got my phone at a subsidized price. You don't technically own the phone unless you bought it outright, paid off your contract price, or paid the early termination fee to cancel your contract. Once you have done one of those three things and the phone is yours, free and clear, the carrier is required to unlock the phone for you if you request it.

Apple sells unlocked iPhones but they are over $600 (or maybe $700?) and I can't bring myself to drop that much cash all at once on a cell phone, regardless of how much I love my iPhone.

I originally paid the phone in full price and had a prepaid service. I could not ever again bring myself to be subject to a compulsory contract for 18+ months.
    Having had paid the phone in full from the start, the company WAS required to unlock it, but they refused because, well, they didn't want me to leave them after 6 years. And that right there was one of the reasons I left them.

Now I have another prepaid service which gives me:

500 minutes within Mexico, USA and Canada;
    1000 minutes for numbers within my new company (Iusacell);
    1000 MB of internet;

^ for only $15/mo.

[ validated ]
    I upgraded to a 5c last week because it was free (1 cent) with a 2-year agreement. I've never had much use for a smartphone, but I like this one so far. The thing I'm most happy to have is the isight camera, which takes really nice photos, and all the cool apps you can use with it.

I didn't know the carrier was required to unlock the phone if you request it when the contract is through. Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by C33; 12-16-2013 at 04:14 PM.