Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: The "Woody Allen is Probably Disgusting" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    Who’s next? It had better be Timothée Chalamet. If he wants any chance at Best Actor, he’d better be searching his soul right about now.
    I'd be more interested in hearing from Amazon Studios, or established actors like Jude Law and Kate Winslet who can afford to say no to an opportunity like that.

^

Totally agreed. Timothee Chalamet is young, just getting established, and newer to the business than many veteran actors who have recently elected to work with Allen. Same with Elle Fanning. They worked on the same project with Allen as Live Schreiber, Cherry Jones, and Jude Law--none of whom are struggling to get work, I imagine, whether it is film or theater. I'm more curious what these veterans--who have had more time on this earth not just as actors but also as human beings--have to say for themselves. Also, as much as I like Kate Winslet as an actress she has made the extremely dubious decision not only to star in Wonder Wheel but also to campaign for an Oscar for it! She participated in the Los Angeles time roundtable, which is one of the "stops" you make when you're gunning for an Oscar nod. Yuck.

On a side note--with Gary Oldman winning the Golden Globe and the cooling buzz on CMBYN (it's had a really poor release strategy), I think Chalamet's chances of winning are getting slimmer by the day. Plus, the Academy has a bias against older woman and also against younger men in the lead acting categories. Oldman has a troubling history and it did not stop him from winning at the Globes: https://www.thedailybeast.com/gary-o...th-a-dark-past

Yeah, that’s me. I decided that needed to be said. And she liked the tweet, which means she saw it.

And for whatever reason, that makes me very, very happy.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post
    ^

Totally agreed. Timothee Chalamet is young, just getting established, and newer to the business than many veteran actors who have recently elected to work with Allen. Same with Elle Fanning. They worked on the same project with Allen as Live Schreiber, Cherry Jones, and Jude Law--none of whom are struggling to get work, I imagine, whether it is film or theater. I'm more curious what these veterans--who have had more time on this earth not just as actors but also as human beings--have to say for themselves. Also, as much as I like Kate Winslet as an actress she has made the extremely dubious decision not only to star in Wonder Wheel but also to campaign for an Oscar for it! She participated in the Los Angeles time roundtable, which is one of the "stops" you make when you're gunning for an Oscar nod. Yuck.
    Yes, exactly where I was going with that. It's unfair to single him out. Imagine being like 21, still new to a crazy industry where you are getting opportunities to work with your idols, and the people you look up to are still clamoring to work with this director. You know, I remember defending Cate Blanchett back when Blue Jasmine came out, but I kinda take that back now, and after LAST year, there really is no excuse for someone of Kate Winslet's or Jude Law's star power and influence to lend their talents to Woody Allen. If he's ever going to be cast out of Hollywood, the veterans of the industry need to stop acting like being in a WA movie is some huge honor.

Also, I'm glad no one cares about Wonder Wheel. I used to love Kate Winslet but she has made some gross choices in the past decade or so.
    Last edited by plastic•husband; 01-11-2018 at 03:22 AM.

Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 08-01-2018 at 11:15 PM.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I'm feeling a little cynical, so I'm going to vent.

It seems like everyone is all of a sudden regretting working with Allen when these stories have been around for decades. It feels like no one had a problem with it until this movement, that the risk of working with him was worth it if you got an Oscar nom. Now it's better for you professionally to say shit rather than a year ago, five years, 20, to have actually done something. It feels calculated.

I do understand that maybe someone who is younger didn't quite understand what happened with him, that even someone older had the art vs artist separation conversation with themselves and decided it was ok, but then when the full force of MeToo hit them, that they realized they were complicit and had a genuine change of heart. It just feels awfully convenient that Allen is bad after everyone has their shot with him and it didn't work out.

werewolves, not swear-wolves Chalk's Avatar
    What you're saying is the very truth...and I'll add that there are the ones that knew but were indifferent about it and #metoo came along and made some of them think about it/care. I think that is probably true to most of them, as it's in real life, most people don't think about it if it doesn't affect them personally. If they were just honest about it, like Ellen Page, I don't think most people would have much of a problem with it. It just feels a bit duplicitous coming now when it has been almost six months since this whole movement exploded on social media. Some of them probably thought it would be a temporary thing, but I don't think so. Every week there is a new story, and I'm not just talking about the English speaking media. I hope this keeps going.

Let me now vent non-cynically. I understand what you’re saying, but I honestly believe that #MeToo brought a lot of us who had started learning against Woody Allen the rest of the way. And Dylan Farrow seems to believe that, because she’s being quite gracious to those who weren’t quite there before but are there now.

And I really think that the dam is breaking. Mira Sorvino did the same thing that Hall did earlier this week. To me, that seems huge, because Sorvino in Mighty Aphrodite and Hall in Vicki Christina Barcelona are two of my very favorite performances in Woody Allen films. I think this is real change.

Anyone, we missed Mira Sorvino this week, so here you go:

Barack Hussein Obama

I do think that the Allen Stank is going to be harder to wash off for anyone working with him going forward, but the cynical side of me thinks that anyone who worked with him post-allegations right up until the last year got to both get professional cred and then ally cred. And people will still work with him, Polanski, Gibson, etc and now they know they can just act contrite when it is convenient.

I'm not saying people can't make mistakes, but it seems like for all of them it isn't a mistake so much as a calculation.

And since I brought up Gibson, even though this isn't the right thread, let's not forget Mr Mark "I won't work if I'm not getting paid" Wahlburg had no problem letting him be in that "family" movie Daddy's Home 2.

Important update on Wahlberg. Check the Bullshit Machine thread in a few.

Barack Hussein Obama

I don't always believe Kathy Griffin, but this I believe.

Holy shit.

I wonder if Miley understood why he wanted to work with her.

Barack Hussein Obama

Today’s news: Natalie Portman and Reese Witherspoon have said today that they believe Dylan. As she always does, Dylan has graciously thanked them. I’ll bet she feels better these days, and yay for that.

Barack Hussein Obama

Another one. One could be cynical and just see this as something to keep the Woody Stink off of his Best Actor chances. But I dunno; he seems like a good kid so I’ll assume this is sincere.

Barack Hussein Obama

I do hope they're all sincere but I get this vibe a lot