Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Woody Allen is Probably Disgusting" Thread

These sorts of cases always make clear to me the existence of Teh Patriarchy. Like, the cartoon version of a massive conspiracy that envelops and rules the world. It doesn't matter what Woody Allen did. He's a powerful man. Therefore, for a certain number of men and women, there will be circling of the wagons around the great man and vicious victim blaming for his accuser.

Quote Originally Posted by Beulah Land View Post
    Honestly I don't think it's splitting hairs about Soon Yi. If she was not raised by him or really around him as a child (I read an interview and she said she hardly saw him and barely spoke 5 words to him her whole childhood) and she was a consenting adult when the relationship started, I see no problem with it. If they want to be in a relationship together as adults, it's their business. It may make her siblings uncomfortable but it's really none of their business.
    No she was underage (15 or 17 depending on who you believe) when he took nude photos of her with her legs spread eagle. When Mia found the photos, he said he took them because Soon Yi was interested in becoming a model.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarella View Post
    No she was underage (15 or 17 depending on who you believe) when he took nude photos of her with her legs spread eagle. When Mia found the photos, he said he took them because Soon Yi was interested in becoming a model.
    And that's the problem!

Well that's a different story then. Didn't know about that.

Even if she had been of age, I've always thought he should have taken it upon himself to act in loco parentis, that is, as a father figure, and to do everything he could to behave in the best interest of his partner's child, biological or not.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPeaches View Post
    I have no idea of the extent of Woody Allen's depravity, but this is a man married his adopted daughter, who, if some accounts are true, has a borderline level of intelligence (an IQ that verges of being mentally handicapped). That's fucked up enough for me to consider him a sick predator of sorts.
    I can't believe people won't even consider this a possibility! The man got caught with naked photos of his adopted teenage daughter and then married her. And now they have two adopted daughters.
    I'm not looking to support Allen here, but most of this is incorrect.
    Soon Yi has a degree from Columbia and isn't mentally handicapped

Allen never adopted her

The nude pictures were when she was of legal age.
    "Farrow discovered his relationship with her daughter after finding nude pictures of the girl, then 21, in Allen's apartment. "
    *edit, actually, that statement isn't very clear. It led me to believe she was 21 when they were taken, but it can easily mean she was 21 when they were found*

Can you post a link confirming this? All I've read said that the pics were after she was of age.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Yes, the whole Soon-Yi is mentally slow thing has been refuted. You can't get a degree from Columbia if you're not of at least average intelligence, no matter how rich you are.

Soon-Yi issued her own statement to Newsweek, asserting her independence, savaging Mia, and declaring, “I’m not a retarded little underage flower who was raped, molested and spoiled by some evil stepfather—not by a long shot. I’m a psychology major at college who fell for a man who happens to be the ex-boyfriend of Mia.” Soon-Yi declared in writing exactly what Woody had said, that Mia would have been just as upset if he had slept with “another actress or his secretary.”

Mia’s family were astounded by the statement. “Soon-Yi doesn’t know half those words, what they mean,” one close to them said. Equally astonished was Audrey Seiger, who has a doctorate in learning and reading disabilities and had spent hundreds of hours tutoring Soon-Yi from the sixth grade all the way through high school. When Soon-Yi was in the third grade, her I.Q. tested as slightly below average. She went to Seiger with “very deprived early language development, which carried on throughout the years.” Seiger and Soon-Yi became close, and Soon-Yi worked very hard. “She’s a very typical L.D. kid, very socially inappropriate, very, very naïve,” says Seiger, who is deeply worried about Soon-Yi today. “She has trouble processing information, trouble understanding language on an inferential level. She’s very, very literal and flat in how she interprets what she sees and how she interprets things socially. She misinterprets situations.” Seiger doubts that Soon-Yi could have written the statement to the press. “The words were often exactly the same as Woody Allen’s, if you compare the two,” says Priscilla Gilman, daughter of Yale drama-school professor Richard Gilman and literary agent Lynn Nesbit and an honor student at Yale, who as the longtime girlfriend of Mia’s son Matthew Previn is regarded almost as a daughter in the family.
    http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/a...1/farrow199211

Not as impaired as I remembered, but certainly very vulnerable at the age that Allen began his affair with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    I guess Soon Yi (who some people say is really smart, so I don't know which version is true, nor do I care) is not Woody's biological or legal daughter, just Mia's. Supposedly he wasn't even a father figure to her, having lived separately. But that's really, really splitting hairs too much for me. It's vile of them both (assuming she was old enough to give consent). When the apologists get all defensive of him and say "she's not his real daughter so it's not damaging", it makes me want to yell "Tell that to the siblings who now see Sis dating Dad." Affairs are damaging to people not having them too.

I just don't get apologists. A measured doubt, someone who can separate art from artists, that's fine, but the amount of people bending over backwards to defend someone they don't even know just always amazes me. You expect it from fangirls/boys of a certain age or a certain level of devotion, but why does Mel Gibson/Chris Brown/Paula Deen/insert random celebrity need such passionate justification? It goes beyond a reasonable doubt standard.
    1) This is the best argument I've heard against their relationship. I honestly think that she was of legal age, and as his defenders say, she wasn't his daughter, step or otherwise. But she was, and is, the sister of Moses, Ronan, and Dylan. I don't think he did anything illegal there, but yeah, it was pretty fucked up.

2) Yeah. I'm one of the people who still has doubts, even though I found Dylan's statement to be very credible. But some of the posts I've seen defending him/rebuking her story have been just awful. I smell a lot of "men's rights" creatures flitting about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordecai View Post
    These sorts of cases always make clear to me the existence of Teh Patriarchy. Like, the cartoon version of a massive conspiracy that envelops and rules the world. It doesn't matter what Woody Allen did. He's a powerful man. Therefore, for a certain number of men and women, there will be circling of the wagons around the great man and vicious victim blaming for his accuser.
    And that's a great point, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Yes, the whole Soon-Yi is mentally slow thing has been refuted. You can't get a degree from Columbia if you're not of at least average intelligence, no matter how rich you are.
    No offense to JP or others, but I find the whole "Soon-Yi mentally slow" thing to be really problematic. It's still easy to argue that Woody manipulated her without any of that. Everything I've ever heard about her has lead me to believe she's intelligent.

So, what do folks think of her calling out the celebs by name? I'm not a big fan of public shaming, but I can see why she did it. I think that this is going to keep growing, and that it could cost Cate Blanchett the Oscar. But maybe that would be for the greater good. I dunno. It seems insignificant next to the issue of child sexual abuse, but Dylan consciously made the issue of his acceptance by Hollywood and the industry a central part of this, so....
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

So Ronan changed his name? He didn't want to be named Satchel?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    So, what do folks think of her calling out the celebs by name? I'm not a big fan of public shaming, but I can see why she did it. I think that this is going to keep growing, and that it could cost Cate Blanchett the Oscar. But maybe that would be for the greater good. I dunno. It seems insignificant next to the issue of child sexual abuse, but Dylan consciously made the issue of his acceptance by Hollywood and the industry a central part of this, so....
    I'm glad you brought this up. I think it's wrong to start placing blame on actors or people in Hollywood who continue to work with Woody as if they're at fault as well. Woody was never charged with or convicted of a crime. It's all speculation. To tell everyone that they can't work with Woody or should feel guilt or shame for working with him sounds like guilty-until-proven-innocent to me and that makes me very uncomfortable.

I don't think it will cost Blanchet anything. It's still the Academy. They gave Polanski an Oscar for The Pianist, and he was charged with statutory rape. I also would try not to see this as general shaming. Survivors voices are erased all the time. Often because "so and so would never do such a thing."

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    ^ Cate Blanchett isn't a man, though. You're missing a key component.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    ^ Cate Blanchett isn't a man, though. You're missing a key component.
    You're right, I could be completely wrong. Blanchett responded the other night. I missed this. I also apparently missed that Mia Farrow's brother was just recently locked up for child molestation. Most everything about the whole situation feels like something that should be in the "weep for humanity" thread.