Thread: Musicians and producers get in here

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar

Musicians and producers get in here

So that windows desktop I just installed all the new anti-virus stuff in crapped out. I got 8 years out of that thing, i guess it was a long time coming

I need something better for music making now. Everyone says Mac, but I figured i'd ask here too, I trust unforumzed!

For me, I used Macs a lot in school when we recorded with Pro Tools, and at home I used Windows. I really didn't notice a tremendous difference, honestly. I am running PT10 on Windows 7 at home and unless I'm doing a whole lot of automation or tracks without dithering or anything, I have no problem really. If you're using protools (and if your smart you're not Haha) I do know if you have ten or above you can use the program without having to be attached to your interface all the time, unlike with Windows...unbeknownst to me until I upgraded :-\

What program do you record with?

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hustle658 View Post
    you can use the program without having to be attached to your interface all the time, unlike with Windows...unbeknownst to me until I upgraded :-\
    I don't know what this means but ok.

I have used Cakewalk Music Creator for many years but was never able to master it, mostly because I kept upgrading and it was a little different each time, in many ways I found the newer ones more and more inferior - the last one I had wouldn't let me bounce to track which was highly tedious.

Definitely not getting ProTools, i'd like to start making music right away again without having to read a freaking book about it.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    The one upside to Macs is the fact that Garageband and Logic are so bloody easy to get started with now.

I used to hate Logic with a passion back when I had to use Logic 6 in uni. But I've been using Logic express for the last few years and just recently switched to the new Logic Pro, and I'm astonished at how much easier it is to use now.

ProTools I've used as well, only ever on a Mac, but it started to get annoying to have to have it connected to the proper hardware or have the usb security key thing in or whatever so that's when I switched to logic express. I'm told it's not like that anymore. And it was like that with Logic 6 at the time too, and it was just fucking annoying. I wanted something I could work on wherever I was, which is the setup I have now with the laptop and the current version of logic.

My brother is a PC guy though and has always used cubase and the like. He's recently switched to a Mac, because he bought my old imac off me.

But really, I guess my advice is to go for the interface you're most comfortable with.

[ validated ]
    You might also want to consider an iPad (Air?) for music production. The technology still has a ways to go (i.e. I’m not going to abandon my computer anytime soon, and Ableton Live will likely remain my mother ship), but we have definitely reached a point where you can make amazing music with an iPad alone.

Auria is probably the best DAW for the iPad. It’s easy to use and powerful. It currently only supports audio, but you can integrate it with other music apps via an app called Audiobus. For me it's all the amazing iOS apps that made spending a little extra on an iPad a tremendous value. For example: I just purchased 4 FabFilter plugins (these are top-of-the-line mixing and mastering tools) via the Auria in-app store for $130. These same plugins would have cost me around $867 for a Mac or PC.

I always recommend taking some kind of basic course for any new software you want to get serious about using. but I’m like you in the sense that I don’t want to read manuals either. Lynda.com is an excellent resource for software training (they also have great courses on audio).. as is Groove3.com, which is entirely focused on music-making software.

I hope you find what works best for you!
    Last edited by C33; 03-24-2014 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I don't know what this means but ok.

I have used Cakewalk Music Creator for many years but was never able to master it, mostly because I kept upgrading and it was a little different each time, in many ways I found the newer ones more and more inferior - the last one I had wouldn't let me bounce to track which was highly tedious.

Definitely not getting ProTools, i'd like to start making music right away again without having to read a freaking book about it.
    Pro Tools is just behind everyone else, and very proprietary... It basically functions the same as all the others I've used. But I have buddies who've loved Logic and my gtrist used Sonar, and likes it a lot. Yea follow ebbys advice and just use the one you're most comfortable on. And who needs manuals? I'm pretty much self taught, Uni didn't rly show me much I didn't already know, and YouTube is full of info.

I go to a great forum, if has lots of cool ppl who use all different sorts of programs. Check out forum.recordingreview.com.

Is there a thread on here where we share our mixes? I bet we would have some interesting submissions...

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    ^ we have a musicmakers thread here: http://unforumzed.com/showthread.php...-Makers-Thread