Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hairs on my face: a thread of beards

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    The general rule of thumb is no hair below the neckline for a tidy beard, but rules are made to be broken and all that. There's a line from your ears down along the join of your jaw and neck that is supposed to be the ideal line for a beard. You should err on the lower side rather than going to high and having your beard end at some random point along your jaw if you're going for a full beard look.

This is one rule of thumb from the internet (so obvs perfect)

rugged fellows guide: http://www.ruggedfellowsguide.com/tr...eard-neckline/
    Beards.org guide: http://www.beards.org/neck.php

Step One
    First, imagine a slightly curved line that goes from right behind your ear lobes and travels under the jaw line stopping at the angle where your neck meets the underside of your jaw below your chin. It should be right on top of your Adam’s apple (yellow line in the picture). That’s your neckline.

Step Two
    Next, imagine two vertical lines on either side of your face that run perpendicular to the first one and follows the outer edge of your sideburns down toward the neckline (red line in the picture). The creates the corners of your neckline right under the ends of your jawline under your ears. Round these corners off to create a more natural look than a perfect box.

Step Three
    Shave off everything under the neckline and you’re done. Congratulations, you are now the proud owner of a dignified beard.

But again, every person is different and will like their beard to be different ways. Personally, I'm really not a fan of "full" beards that come just to the jawline and are shaved underneath the jaw, as they look unbalanced to me, and like someone's trying to create a fake jawline. Going for a fuller beard using the underside of your jaw actually helps define your jaw better and makes your beard sit on your face better.

But again, it's all about what look you want to create and what kind of a beard you think looks good.

Thank you ebby ! The link on rugged fellow is helpful
    I think I'm doing this right. But the fact that my jawline and chin is more proeminent kind of change the way it look it seems
    this is perfect actually :

[/IMG]

Hurt people hurt people too toriMODE's Avatar
    You look fine

I stay away from a clean shaven neck line only because I find that I can never get the lines even or able to match each other in slope.

I have trouble with that as well. It's gonna do what it's gonna do.

Yum. All you sexy bearded men.

So, I'm going to be working from home full-time soon and I'm going to grow my beard out like crazy. The hub doesn't like them, but is being supportive since I promised him it wouldn't be forever. -- I currently have an office-friendly beard but I want to edge it out and let it do its thing.

Something like these (long but well-kept):

I hope these pics aren't too big. Maybe I need to explore how to add them as spoilers.
    Last edited by Tonic; 07-18-2014 at 12:25 AM.

I think those look amazing ! especially the second one !

Dear god #2 is hot as hell!!

My husband has had a beard for a while now, but he keeps it closely shaved. I might show him these pics to see if I can talk him into growing it out.

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    Nobody warned me about beardzits. They hide!

So, I was forced to shave my beard because keeping it at even 1 inch in length was giving me chronic and very painful acne/cyst-like sores along my jawline. I'm shaving for a few weeks to let my skin calm down. I guess I'll need to keep it even shorter next go round. I trimmed it to 1/2 inch for a long time and I don't remember every having a problem, but keeping it a little longer and thicker over the last year was no bueno.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

testosterone-laden drunken moogle Spikey's Avatar
    Oh noes, wrong settings on the machine. All I could make of it now was a goatee. Stuck with that for a few days at least.
    Ai, Tolosa e Provensa, e la terra d’Argensa, Besièrs e Carcassei, quo vos vi e quo'us vei!‎