Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House of Cards

House of Cards

I searched and I didn't see a thread for this, which is shocking!

Has anybody else finished Season 2 yet?
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

I haven't seen any of the new one but the original BBC series starring Ian Richardson was pure class. I should probably check out the US version.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

i am currently six episodes into season 2, so please no spoilers yet!

but as a general comment, i find the series very enjoyable. i have seen some criticism about the fact that it is not realistic enough, but hey, it is a tv series! it is by definition fictional. love robin wright, and also the new character played by molly parker seems very promising.

I just watched episode one of the second series. Holy fuck.

Last edited by Andreas; 02-20-2014 at 09:12 PM.

I enjoyed the first season a whole bunch - slow burning narrative was supremely compelling.

Eschewed sleep and a mountain of paperwork over the last 48 hours to binge my way right through the s2.
    Ep 1 made my jaw drop, and it ended up staying fixed in that position. Likely suffering PTvSD.
    Possibly the best television these eyes have ever seen. yep.

I literally came just to see if someone had started a thread about this yet. I was too lazy to start my own, though I was equally shocked there wasn't one, haha.

Sometimes, when it's good it's really good, but... I don't know. The unrealistic thing does throw me off a bit, more this season than last season. I'm also about 7 episodes into S2.

I thought this article was worth reading, though I don't completely agree with it. It doesn't have spoilers: "Netflix, 'House of Cards' and the limits of binge-watching junk"

But what's curious is how often the style of viewing Netflix's signature hit, "House of Cards," is treated by critics as an antidote to its poor quality. For example, Willa Paskin of Slate posits that the show is "designed to be binge-watched, by which I mean consumed so quickly there is no time to taste all the garbage we are guzzling down.... Apportioned out every week, dissected for plausibility, judged on execution, 'House of Cards' would barely be worth your time."

http://www.latimes.com/business/hilt...#ixzz2tzF2Usbo

i think for me it is actually rather the opposite, usually it is scarcity that creates my interest, and the fact that i am able to binge-watch this show and still enjoy it, means for me that they are doing something right.

Well, between this and Mark's post's on FB I'm going to start downloading the series. I don't enjoy political series too often, if it's soap opera(y) and not very believable then I'm sure I will enjoy it a whole lot more.
    My face screams without an emotion

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    I typically don't go for political dramas either, but I absolutely love this show. I'm only 9 episodes into the first season though. I'm very excited to catch up to season two.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I spent yesterday rewatching S1 while I worked on stuff, so today is S2 and I just got to the thing in E1 (14) and I gasped out loud. Holy moly.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    I'm finding myself very underwhelmed by season 2. I have 4 episodes left, and it's feeling like a chore to get through, which is a shame being I LOVED season 1. Some of the stuff this season is just too ridiculous for me.

Oh man. There is this one scene in one of the episodes, that just makes the whole season worth it.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    I loved that.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar

I finished the second season yesterday. What a crazy ride. I really liked it. Well, I mean, I didn't like it because everyone is horrible, but it was entertaining to watch.

It makes watching The West Wing really hard because I watched one yesterday and was like "Why isn't anyone plotting and scheming and murdering?" Frank would have eaten CJ, Toby, Josh, Sam, Donna, and Leo for dinner. Not quite sure about Bartlet.

Quote Originally Posted by just owls View Post
    I loved that.

I just finished S2 as well; I would say that it was entertaining watching (though it did get boring in the middle, but so did S1) but it's not what I would call a masterpiece.