Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anne Rice

Anne Rice

Any Anne Rice fans here?

Today she announced her new novel, PRINCE LESTAT, which will be out on October 28th. This will be her first vampire novel in 11 years and it's supposed to function as some sort of direct sequel to The Queen of the Damned.

I knew she'd return to Lestat at some point. After recovering from her brief sojourn into Catholic zealotry and writing the werewolf books, I figured going back to the vampires would be a logical progression.

I used to be a big fan. The Witching Hour is one of my favorite books of all time. I also loved The Mummy, The Vampire Lestat, Queen of the Damned, Lasher, Taltos. Servant of the Bones, Tale of the Body Thief, and Interview With the Vampire were good. Merrick and Blackwood Farm were just okay. Tried reading Memnoch the Devil twice but just couldn't get into it. I tired of her purple prose and the affected dialogue of her modern characters. I bought both her Wolf books but haven't read them yet. She used to be much better in the '80s and early '90s. I've never disliked Lestat but never understood what the big deal was about him. He was the Brat Prince but I don't find bad boys appealing. I am intrigued by this book though. I'll probably get it since I haven't read an Anne Rice book in over 10 years.

O M G! THANKS for this.

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beulah Land View Post
    I used to be a big fan. The Witching Hour is one of my favorite books of all time. I also loved The Mummy, The Vampire Lestat, Queen of the Damned, Lasher, Taltos. Servant of the Bones, Tale of the Body Thief, and Interview With the Vampire were good. Merrick and Blackwood Farm were just okay. Tried reading Memnoch the Devil twice but just couldn't get into it. I tired of her purple prose and the affected dialogue of her modern characters. I bought both her Wolf books but haven't read them yet. She used to be much better in the '80s and early '90s. I've never disliked Lestat but never understood what the big deal was about him. He was the Brat Prince but I don't find bad boys appealing. I am intrigued by this book though. I'll probably get it since I haven't read an Anne Rice book in over 10 years.
    The Witching Hour was my favourite too! I thought Lasher and Taltos were weak. Reading Interview and Lestat were compensated with Queen of the Damned. Body Thief and Memnoch did not engage me as much. And I couldn't bring myself to finish Servant.
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."

I thought Interview and Lestat were the best of the series, with Queen a slight step behind; As a trilogy, they are really great reads. After that, the series slumped for me. I did love Pandora and Armand but haven't read any others in the vampire series.

The Witching Hour was brilliant, as was The Mummy but it is Cry to Heaven and The Feast of All Saints that rank as two of the most perfect books I have ever read by anyone ever.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Anne Rice's*'Vampire Chronicles' have been acquired by*Universal, with Brian Grazer, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman set to produce.

Hope it's good news...

I would love for them to tell the entire story in chronological order, which would give them a chance to do Interview/Lestat/Queen all over again. But with a richer context.

The Queen of the Damned movie was such a disappointment (though Lena Olin was an inspired casting choice for Maharet). I'd love to see a better adaptation of that and Lestat. Those two books should not have been adapted as one.

Bloop Bloop! Lord Rask of Trevdale's Avatar
    Speaking of bad adaptations. I was thinking about the Lestat musical the other day. What a waste of an opportunity. When it was first announced, I thought Elton John was going to do an amazing job writing the glam rock songs for Lestat. It could have been framed in a very Hedwig-esque kind of way (ie. as a rock concert by Lestat). Instead we boring Broadway show with a score that sounds like Les Miz.

Oh well.

Prince Lestat is out and it's amazing.

Lestat is Back!
    Last edited by Alamo; 10-31-2014 at 01:49 PM.

New Lestat adventure comming this winter.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/25...ealms-atlantis

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I've never read, I don't believe, one word of Anne Rice' work.
    I might start reading the Vampire Chronicles in the order of publication.. unless there are some books I can skip that won't be a necessity when it comes to reading this Lestat book.
    Of course I've see almost all the adaptations of her work.

So are there some books in the Chronicles I could skip?
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

prince lestat and the realms of atlantis is out now...

I'm so excited
    Last edited by Alamo; 11-30-2016 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    I've never read, I don't believe, one word of Anne Rice' work.
    I might start reading the Vampire Chronicles in the order of publication.. unless there are some books I can skip that won't be a necessity when it comes to reading this Lestat book.
    Of course I've see almost all the adaptations of her work.

So are there some books in the Chronicles I could skip?
    read is this order:

The Vampire Lestat (1985)
    The Queen of the Damned (1988)
    Memnoch the Devil (1995)
    Prince Lestat (2014)
    Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis (2016)

then read:
    The Vampire Armand (1998) - masterpiece!
    Blood and Gold (2001)
    Pandora
    Blood Canticle (2003) - (witches crossover - skipable...)

SKIP:
    The Tale of the Body Thief (1992)
    Merrick (2000) - Merrick
    Blackwood Farm (2002) -
    Last edited by Alamo; 12-05-2016 at 04:22 PM.