Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: why are babies so squeetastic?

the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar

Icon15 why are babies so squeetastic?

so like, i dont think babies are universally adorable. its obvs some think im missing a gene because i dont care.

my coworker brought in her new baby (and her other 2 kids) today. everyone had to stop and squee and "ohmygawd can i hold the bayybee?" abouti t. i kind of looked at the kid. it was sleeping. then went on about my business. i just cant join the baby crazy train.

not gonna lie--sometimes i find some of them uber adorable, but it seems like if youre not squeeing over every baby everywhere, youre some how with 5 heads or something. yes?

Also, I find some babies incredibly ugly. I know they can't help it, but damn...my husband's side of the family makes ugly-ass babies. Good lookin' men, sure, but ugly babies.

Thank god my nephew is cute! I'm not saying that cause he's my nephew, it's gospel truth! I've seen some UGLY babies in my time. When my sister was living in a women's treatment facility, there was this girl with an ugly baby. I kept looking at her (the baby) and the mother went "isn't she cute?". I had to force a smile and say "yeah" but inside I just wanted to say "no, it looks like a bridge troll in training".

The nephews on MY side of the family were really pretty babies...and one of T's nephews looked just like a Gerber baby. But the others? Yeesh!

Anyway, in terms of responding to babies with a warm fuzzy, it really depends on my mood (and the baby's - who likes a grumpy baby?). For the most part I look at them and think they're entertaining/cute, but I don't really have an interest in holding them or fawning all over them.

The only times I've gotten really emotional over a baby were when my two nephews (my brother's kids) were born. I dunno, something just caught in my throat when I saw them.

I can join in and say a few nice words and look at the baby for minute at the most. I don't mind babies, and as long as I don't have to hold them I'm good.

Babies (people and animals) manipulate us by being cute, making us want to protect them from harm so that they can grow up. They invade our good senses like a virus invades our immune systems. DON'T BE FOOLED BY THE CUTE!

They aren't.

We'll see how brave you are. Bluebell's Avatar
    Ugh, yes. At my workplace, clients bring in their kids quite frequently, and my coworkers always lose their minds. Occasionally there's the odd one I can't help but admit is pretty adorable, but most of the time I can't even pretend to be interested in the kid.

I find most babies at least somewhat adorable, although obviously some are more photogenic than others. But that's a totally separate issue for me from whether or not I'd ever want one of my own...

Mostly, I find babies utterly repulsive - red, doughy little things with squinty eyes that emit atrocious smells and fluids and are quite unable to hold anything approaching an interesting conversation with anyone. I have no idea why anyone thinks they're cute. Baby elephants are cute. Baby cats are cute. Baby humans? Ugh. Just unpleasant, shrieky and dependent things. So dull.

Older kids I can find cute, though not usually for long (my 'oh cute' reaction lasts until the next tantrum or unfortunate spillage, usually) and certainly not in any way that makes me think getting knocked-up is a good idea.

I've always stayed in my seat and got on with my work when the latest breeder totes their baby into work for whatever reasons breeders do that kind of thing (I think it's attention. After all if anyone was really interested, they could visit you at home, right?). I'm not interested in your baby and don't have the acting skills to convincingly pretend to be, either. Every instinct in me just screams at me to stay away from them.

I do look a bit askance at people who go bananas about a wrinkled, boring red lump wrapped in a cloth, but only in the same way I look askance at people who find Heat magazine a terrific read, I suppose. As in, I think you've got horrible taste, but if you want to do it, I'm not going to stop you. Just don't expect me to join in or pretend to be interested to validate your feelings, that's all.

the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar
    i just wish others would get the universal message that no one thinks your kid is as cute/smart/witty/talented as you do.

Some babies are flat-out gross.

I generally think that chubby babies are very cute though. I don't want to have an obese child with health problems but there's something about chubby little babies that's so darn cute. Maybe they remind me of stuffed animals or something.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I have to say that I struggle to tell the difference between a nice and an ugly baby. I suppose you have to really experience an ugly one to know?

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    I have to say that I struggle to tell the difference between a nice and an ugly baby. I suppose you have to really experience an ugly one to know?
    Well I was a very ugly newborn. I was about 7 weeks premature and my mom says I looked like a wrinkly little old man.

There are some children who just have very abnormal features. Usually it's babies that are 0-2. Very rarely do I see not-cute toddlers.

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    < was an ugly baby. The first thing my uncle told my mother when he saw me for the first time was, "Wow. She looks like Winston Churchill." She still gives him a hard time about it.

As a former ugly baby, I can attest that we are out there. I don't care all that much about babies, except the ones in my family. Kids don't get interesting until they start walking around and talking. Still don't want one, though.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.