Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: why are babies so squeetastic?

^Yes. Toddlers are infinitely more cute than regular babies. It's that stage where they're just starting to develop a personality and they don't have a wide enough vocabulary to insult you or be indignant little bastards.

Then they start learning to talk and it just goes downhill from there. If I have a child I'm really hoping I don't get someone who turns into one of those people I hated growing up.

Kinda sorta on topic...

One of Todd's nephews was the most miserable baby I have ever seen. He was actually a very pretty baby, but damn he NEVER smiled. Or laughed. Or showed anything even remotely resembling happiness. It wasn't like he cried all the time, he didn't...it was just weird. He ended up being a horribly bratty and god-awful kid. Downright mean-spirited. I'm a bit freaked out by it and am convinced he's a socio- or psychopath.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPea View Post
    Kinda sorta on topic...

One of Todd's nephews was the most miserable baby I have ever seen. He was actually a very pretty baby, but damn he NEVER smiled. Or laughed. Or showed anything even remotely resembling happiness. It wasn't like he cried all the time, he didn't...it was just weird. He ended up being a horribly bratty and god-awful kid. Downright mean-spirited. I'm a bit freaked out by it and am convinced he's a socio- or psychopath.
    Oooh creepy. I wonder what child sociopaths are like though ... I would expect them to be very stoic and cold.

Tomorrow is another day cinny~lou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPea View Post
    Kinda sorta on topic...

One of Todd's nephews was the most miserable baby I have ever seen. He was actually a very pretty baby, but damn he NEVER smiled. Or laughed. Or showed anything even remotely resembling happiness. It wasn't like he cried all the time, he didn't...it was just weird.
    Those can be indicators of autism.

I tend to think babies need several months to fill out and de-redden before they get 'cute', but that doesn't really increase my interest in them a whole lot, either.
    Last edited by cinny~lou; 06-30-2010 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by cinny~lou View Post
    Those can be indicators of autism.
    I actually thought about that when he was a baby...but he's 10 now and I doubt he's autistic. He seems to have improved a little in terms of being straight-up mean, but holy hell his little brother is the frightening one now.

My Brother and his wife had their first kid last month and while I'll admit that she's cute (for a 3-4 week old baby), the way that she wriggles, squirms, and generally flops about it creepy... it's like she's constantly making an attempted to jump from your arms or head-butt you. O_o

Also, "new" babies smell weird. I don't get that whole "oh I LOVE new baby smell"... umm, gross?
    You don't have to do everything all by yourself.

^Well they were sitting in a flesh sac for 9 months and then hurled out of a vagina. I think it would be a bit odd if they smelled nice and I think people who think they smell nice are a bit odd.

^ seriously. new babies smell like something between "wet dog" and "sweat"... just covered up by baby powder. >_<
    You don't have to do everything all by yourself.

The Good Book is missing some pages Maeve's Avatar
    On topic: I don't know why most people tend to react like that when there's a baby around. I don't think it's only a matter of maternal o paternal instinct, it's like they regress and become babies themselves.
    I don't say I totally don't understand because with my cats I suppose there are times I do the same (and kittens pics drive me crazy for their cuteness) but still I don't begin howling highpitched from the distance "Ooooooooooooohh!! A kitteeeeennnn!" THAT kind of craziness I think I'll never understand.

Generally I'm indifferent to babies and it's not that I don't feel the instinct of protection... everytime I hear of child abuse I'd like to smash the face (or worse) of those who perpetrate it... simply I acknowledge that there's a child and then keep on relating to those capable of sustaining a conversation.
    I just can become bitchy if someone tries to force me into looking at some baby photo album... it's the only thing I hate more than marriage photo albums.
    Just make me look at them after they've come of age!

Is it right, butterfly, they like you better framed and dried?

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SageBrushFire View Post
    ^Yes. Toddlers are infinitely more cute than regular babies.
    You beat me to it. Kids are often brilliant little people, but I got branded "Baby hating Pete" (in a "we dont mean it we're just windin ya up LOL but we mean it" way) at a previous office because a gaggle of people were cooing over a baby someone brought in ("Enjoying your holiday?" didnt get a laugh, jeez some people), and I said they were much more fun once they could talk a bit and surprise you and interact. They all turned to look at me as some poor clueless robot wretch who was obviously impervious to natural human emotion.

"But loving a baby is the purest form of love!"
    "Yeah, because she's utterly dependent upon you, cannot rationally disagree with you, and represents a near limitless resource for the emotional blackmail of other adults and a machine gun like firing of cheques from teh taxpayer IN YOUR NAME for the next 18 years. And actually those designer booties I indirectly partially paid for dont look particularly adorable and BTW there's a tiny patch on her clothing there which is not pink OMG GENDER PROGRAMMING FAIL quick get her some lip stick NOW damn you or she'll turn out WRONG!"

That's what I thought about maybe saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
    I don't say I totally don't understand because with my cats I suppose there are times I do the same (and kittens pics drive me crazy for their cuteness) but still I don't begin howling highpitched from the distance "Ooooooooooooohh!! A kitteeeeennnn!" THAT kind of craziness I think I'll never understand.
    Babies I don't care about but if I see a baby kitten I will literally flip my shit and say the weirdest, high-pitched gibberish you've ever heard. My voice raises an entire octave and I start saying things like "What Er You Doo'n Meester Kitteh Pants?!" and "He's just a beebee! Oooh beebee kitty, it's so hard bee'n a kitty ain't it?"

I'm not embarrassed to say I enjoy the company of cats more than that of humans. If I had to spend my life on an Island with either 10 strangers or 10 cats I would SO go with the cats, no question.

Babies I don't care about but if I see a baby kitten I will literally flip my shit and say the weirdest, high-pitched gibberish you've ever heard. My voice raises an entire octave and I start saying things like "What Er You Doo'n Meester Kitteh Pants?!" and "He's just a beebee! Oooh beebee kitty, it's so hard bee'n a kitty ain't it?"
    In these things I'm more of a private person

I'm not embarrassed to say I enjoy the company of cats more than that of humans. If I had to spend my life on an Island with either 10 strangers or 10 cats I would SO go with the cats, no question.
    In this I second you TOTALLY!

Felines are purrrfect.

Count me in on the flipping my shit when I see kittens. I saw a pair of stray kittens when I was in Costa Rica and alarmed the fuck out of the ladies at the front desk when i squatted down and was all "WELL HEWWWO BABY CATS! HOLA BABY CAT! You are just a widdle baby puddin pants aren't you? Oh you like chin scritches! WHO LIKES CHIIN SCRITCHES??? You are little scrappy cats! Are you hungry? Awww you're hungggrryyY! Let Mama find you some NOM NOMS!"

I go scampering off to find something to feed said kittens while my embarrassed husband just sort of shrugs.

If I wasn't equipped with a self-control mechanism I think my house would be packed with cats. Everytime I see one, adult or kitten, I feel the urge to adopt it.

werewolves, not swear-wolves Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Count me in on the flipping my shit when I see kittens.
    Oh, I'm so glad I'm not alone on this!