Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: why are babies so squeetastic?

Hell, I get squeetastic over adult cats!

Quote Originally Posted by JayPea View Post
    Hell, I get squeetastic over adult cats!
    Oh I know. I have this whole routine where I tell them "You looks like a big boy/girl but yoo'z really just a beebee Mr./Mrs. Kittypants!"

It's kind of sad when you have a repertoire of things you only say to cats.

Back to babies, for the thread starter's sake--I totally would rather speak of cats, my step-brother has a baby and he's kind of cute but his head is pretty long for a baby. It kind of looks like an eggplant. He hasn't really gotten that cute stage where I really care yet, I just pass by him and wave like he's anyone else in the room.

The Good Book is missing some pages Maeve's Avatar
    When there's a child in the same room with me I usually choose the opposite side of the place.
    Unfortunately, I don't know why, even when I ignore them, children seem to look for my attention... they like me.
    What have I done to deserve this? (said the Pet Shop Boys)

Is it right, butterfly, they like you better framed and dried?

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    OT
    Baby. Red. Panda.

I don't mind children. I like them when they are well behaved and most important: not whiny brats. I have a couple of friends with kids like that. They're now from the age of 6 and up, and I only started to interact with them when they could put together a sentence. It's been fun. I can behave like a kid sometimes when I'm with them. Like pushing one of them in a shopping cart at the supermarket and the parking lot.

But yeah...I go crazy for any sorts of animals. The high pitched voice and everything.

The Good Book is missing some pages Maeve's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by other pete View Post
    OT
    Baby. Red. Panda.
    This is something adorable!

Is it right, butterfly, they like you better framed and dried?

I'm apparently not the only person who refers to cats as kittypants. What I want to know, is do you ever ask a kittypants if it would like to do a kitty dance?

I am a complete and total nerd when it comes to animals.

Quote Originally Posted by jeth View Post
    I'm apparently not the only person who refers to cats as kittypants. What I want to know, is do you ever ask a kittypants if it would like to do a kitty dance?

I am a complete and total nerd when it comes to animals.
    I don't ask, I just do it. If you face'm towards you and, with your hands in a clapping position, hold them under their forearms, you can wiggle them around and it looks like they're dancing. I also use this tactic to judge whether or not a cat is kid-friendly. If it can stand the kitty dance for at least 10 seconds, it can handle a small child. We had one cat who would just lie limp no matter what you did, he was so good with kids (well he's still alive he just lives with someone else now).

EDITED FOR CONTENT
    Last edited by SageBrushFire; 07-12-2010 at 03:12 PM.

It's true. Babies are 1000x more interesting when a cat becomes the focal point of the photograph they are in. Babies without cats are just meh.

Pictures of puppies and kittens will totally make me squee, every time. Pictures of babies? Meh.

Why is it that they say people should keep cats away from new babies?

I pretty much think babies are the opposite of cute or interesting. They make me nervous, annoyed, and kind of grossed out - even if they aren't eating. Even well behaved kids get to me. I don't feel comfortable around them, you don't know what they're thinking or will do next, and they add nothing to the conversation or action or whatever. Dogs and cats, though, always make me stop in my tracks no matter the age. I can't think of a time I voluntarily told a parent its kid was cute, but I stop regularly to tell people that their dogs are fucking adorable and ask if I can pet them (unless they're by themselves tied up with leashes outside the bank or something, in which case I just go hog wild). In fact, I think I at least smiled and waved (yes, I wave) at 6 or 7 dogs yesterday. Not a word to or motion toward any children.

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheindianside View Post
    Why is it that they say people should keep cats away from new babies?
    Old wives' tale about cats "sucking" babies' breath? I think that particular myth has been around for multiple centuries.
    Last edited by Churumbela; 07-02-2010 at 03:23 PM.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

Quote Originally Posted by Churumbela View Post
    Old wives' tale about cats "sucking" babies' breath?
    That and people think cats will suffocate the baby by laying across its throat. *eyeroll*

My MIL (and my own mother, who HAD A CAT when I was born) are constantly on me about "What are you going to do about the cats if you ever have kids?" WTF do you think I'm gonna do, give them away? Put them to sleep? Are you freaking kidding me?! Honestly that line of questioning pisses me off so much I just refuse to even discuss it.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sagebrushfire
    Okay, that IS pretty cute.

I have a really weird nickname for my cat now. I started calling him "scampyfish" (I forget how that happened) and now he's just "fish" or "Fishie". I also now will call my husband Fish. I don't get myself .

ETA: People who get rid of family pets because they are having kids before they even see how the pet reacts are idiots and completely heartless.

I will always stop to talk to a cat in the street. There are cats belonging to total strangers on my work route who will now swan right up to me, tails up, demanding pettings. Cats are fab.

I always call to the horses in the fields as I pass by too and if they are sticking their heads over the fence, they get talkings-to and neck scritchings too.

Love animals, can't be doing with kids unless I'm personally acquainted. That's just how it is with me.