Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: G.U.Y. (3rd ARTPOP single)

When it got to the Housewives bit, I was straining my eyes thinking " Is that Gaga in a brown wig?". When I realized it was the BH Housewives, I started howling with laughter.

And re: John Lennon. I watched Andy Cohen's reaction video and when it gets to the "resurrection" part, he says " OMG! Michael Jackson and John Lennon" and I thought " that's Jesus, you dumb-ass" . I mean, he's wearing a crown of thorns? But now I know why. He must've read some press release and assumed it was Lennon from the hair.

Also, the lego bit is a nod to the game Minecraft, as well. The guy that is sitting with her when the four men are resurrected ( and there's the video game screen that says "Artpop") is the creator of MineCraft.

ETA: That is NOT the creator of Minecraft, but a famous YouTube MineCraft player. I like that she's using MineCraft and Legos as a metaphor for creativity and (in that particular scene in the video), creating reality from fantasy.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Apparently John Lennon was in the fourth coffin but was cut from the final video. *shrug* So Andy was probably reacting to an early cut?

I happen to think Andy Cohen needs to be stopped so I hate the Bravo product placement.

Other than that it's pretty good.

They'll eat your baby cat! Peter Z's Avatar
    I adore adore adore this video. I really don't see it as all over the place, personally. I think it follows a pretty streamlined narrative and one that's easy to follow, plus I like the play with corporate enemies/haters in the beginning shooting her down, so she needs her gays and girls to give her that strength to keep going and continue to rule in the face of so many naysayers.

And whatevs we all have our opinions on Bravo/Real Housewives but I thought it was hysterical and high camp and watching Lisa and Kyle be part of her death squad at the end? AMAZING.

Re: camp- I think we sometimes forget how whimsical Gaga can be, because she so often makes music that can be more industrial/darker/moody, and often there's not the "hit you over the head" sort of happy bubblegum-ness, but I really see this as being a product of that 70's aesthetic and gay camp style that so few people attempt now because everyone is so serious about EVERYTHING.

Obvs this video needed Frances Conroy, but other than that I'm pretty obsessed with it

This is kind of a mess, and I didn't even know who those "Housewives" were until I came over to the forum. I love G.U.Y. a lot, I hope radio gives her a resurrection.
    all i want to do is take naps on the sun

Excellent piece on the GUY video and what it represents in terms of Gaga's current career status:

http://www.dazeddigital.com/music/ar...pstar-any-more

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Just now getting around to watching it - and the only reason I did so was because I live for the Beverly Hills Housewives. That is all. I focus on "why wasn't Brandi Glamville included?" more than any other issue. And then it took me a long time to realize Joyce wasn't in it either.
    Kyle and Lisa as accomplices - so bad ass!!!

I take it that Gaga doesn't like Brandi's generally hateful way of treating people but that doesn't explain why Joyce wasn't in it, either.. ah well. The things we'll never know. They may have been to busy.. but, I mean, you're a real housewife.. if Gaga wants you in a video, you best get your ass to the shoot.. it ain't going to get any better than this.
    Last edited by Volta; 03-26-2014 at 11:59 PM.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

Banned
    G.U.Y. performance on David Letterman (slayed it)

hummm...no.

Banned
    Awww I liked it, but in all honestly I want this era to end.