Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Traveling to London (accommodation, meeting up, etc.).

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar

Icon15 Traveling to London (accommodation, meeting up, etc.).

So I just went ahead a made a new thread for those of us flying from overseas for Kate.

Our concert is on the 16th of September, but we're meeting a friend whose concert is on the 12th. We have looked at hotels and most are around 60 U$S which doesn't seem too steep for London. We also looked at Coachsurfing options but we've never done that so not so sure what to expect. Lucky they also have an eBay-like reputation system.

We're expecting to buy our plane tickets by late April the latest. Of course, we're hoping for the lowest price. The best we've seen is a flight to Madrid on the 7th of September for 180 U$S (one-way).

So how's your plan coming along? Who's got the same date or wishes to meet up for a drink or two?

ETA. Here's ebby's spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1nS9...KzbbQ/viewform
    And here's to see who's going: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1nS9.../viewanalytics

It looks like so far I'm the only one for the 16th. But we should definitely organize a major meetup!

ebby edit: the view-y bit is a bit wack and Google won't format it the way I want. But this has it: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Ydk04T2c#gid=1
    Last edited by ebby; 04-01-2014 at 03:46 PM.

I'm not going, but butting in: if you have the chance to meet up with local unf members over in London, do it and not just for the concert. The best times I've had in London have been making an ass of myself in company of fellow board members. Not only do they know the area, but the ones I've met have been charming, funny and ever so patient with my cluelessness when it comes to navigating London. I still miss the quints.

I know ebby has a spreadsheet, so maybe start there and see if others, going on the same date as you, are free to make a day of it in London. Oh and take lots of embarrassing photos for all of us who aren't going.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    It looks like lots of people are going on the 2nd! I must have picked a good day.

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMMY View Post
    I'm not going, but butting in: if you have the chance to meet up with local unf members over in London, do it and not just for the concert. The best times I've had in London have been making an ass of myself in company of fellow board members. Not only do they know the area, but the ones I've met have been charming, funny and ever so patient with my cluelessness when it comes to navigating London. I still miss the quints.

I know ebby has a spreadsheet, so maybe start there and see if others, going on the same date as you, are free to make a day of it in London. Oh and take lots of embarrassing photos for all of us who aren't going.
    We're definitely meeting a few friends who are coming over from other places!

I sent two Coachsurf applications and both answered. Both said they will most likely be available to give us a little space to sleep in. But we're also looking to book a hotel just in case (and because it appears to be one of the requirements to get into the UK: coming in ticket, hotel reservation and going out ticket).

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Edited the first post to show this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Ydk04T2c#gid=1 as it shows who's going when a lot more clearly than how google docs was organising the responses. :/

I'm shit at spreadsheets

Anything cool within the vicinity of the venue? Restaurants, sights, amusements etc. I'm getting the train from Heathrow right to the Hammersmith station in the morning and to be safe I'd rather not veer off anywhere too distant.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    Edited the first post to show this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Ydk04T2c#gid=1 as it shows who's going when a lot more clearly than how google docs was organising the responses. :/

I'm shit at spreadsheets
    Thanks for doing this Ebby. Are you updating this for all? Had a bit of trouble adding anything to the spreadsheet aside from a comment.

I'm August 27th and 29th anyway!

Gareth

Quote Originally Posted by garnite View Post
    Anything cool within the vicinity of the venue? Restaurants, sights, amusements etc. I'm getting the train from Heathrow right to the Hammersmith station in the morning and to be safe I'd rather not veer off anywhere too distant.
    From Hammersmith it's a few stops on the Underground to South Kensington where you have the Science, Natural History and V&A museums all of which are free. If you like markets then Shepherd's Bush Market is just a couple of stops in the other direction. There's not a great deal around Hammersmith itself that I can think of.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Velvet View Post
    Thanks for doing this Ebby. Are you updating this for all? Had a bit of trouble adding anything to the spreadsheet aside from a comment.

I'm August 27th and 29th anyway!

Gareth
    Add it through the form and not the spread sheet!

Though really, it would probably make more sense to just do it as a spreadsheet and leave out the form but I'll look at it when I have time in work tomorrow and sort it out a bit handier.

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    Add it through the form and not the spread sheet!

Though really, it would probably make more sense to just do it as a spreadsheet and leave out the form but I'll look at it when I have time in work tomorrow and sort it out a bit handier.
    Thanks ebby... should have read the thread properly...

Gareth

Woah... it was that easy.

I'm pleased to know that betterthanfine is going to the same show I am on the 12th of Sept, but I wish I knew who the others were who signed up for that date without adding their names. If those people want to post here or send me a PM, I'd be grateful.

I don't want to stay in Hammersmith, so I've got my eye on a hotel that's about a half-hour walk from the venue. I'm thinking if the concert ends as the tube is closing and I can't get a cab, I'll have to walk home on my own. I can do that, but I'd rather not. I really really hope I can take the tube back. Does anyone have any info as to closing times for public transport?

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    I'm pleased to know that betterthanfine is going to the same show I am on the 12th of Sept, but I wish I knew who the others were who signed up for that date without adding their names. If those people want to post here or send me a PM, I'd be grateful.

I don't want to stay in Hammersmith, so I've got my eye on a hotel that's about a half-hour walk from the venue. I'm thinking if the concert ends as the tube is closing, I'll have to walk home on my own. I can do that, but I'd rather not. I really really hope I can take the tube back. Does anyone have any info as to closing times for public transport?
    The buses are just as good/regular that time of night. Usually I've made the tube for most gigs, though.

Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by soignee View Post
    The buses are just as good/regular that time of night. Usually I've made the tube for most gigs, though.
    Yeah, the tube usually runs until around midnight. The Transport for London (TfL) website is also very good for planning your journey as they have detailed maps, timetables and ticket information. There's often night buses that go all night, sometimes as often as every 10 mins or less along popular routes.

I'm going to see Kate on the 9th of Sept and am planning on taking the tube home as Hammersmith is on the Piccadilly line which can take me all the way home to where I live in north-east London.