Page 512 of 531 FirstFirst ... 12412462502510511512513514522 ... LastLast
Results 7,666 to 7,680 of 7955

Thread: What was the last movie you watched?

Quote Originally Posted by toriMODE View Post
    Gerald's Game - Incredible suspense thriller!
    Saw this and couldn't believe they could make a film out of that book! And a very good film too.

I went to see Mother! last night, and for me it was very obvious that

Lawrence's performance is incredible, but Michelle Pfeifer was breathtaking. For no reason in particular, I never really like her, but here she was perfect.

Edit: I put it in spoiler in case somebody hasn't seen the movie yet and doesn't wanna know anything about it. But it's even on Wikipedia, so...
    Last edited by waitressboy; 10-12-2017 at 02:22 PM.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Aronofsky wrote the film. Apparently, he wrote it in five days, which is not the way he usually works.

Michelle should definitely get Oscar love. It would be a nice way to welcome her back.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    That film will not get awards consideration from what I am hearing. There is some technicality about how long the film was allowed to be played in Los Angeles County.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

What happened to monday with Noomi Rapace playing 7 roles (multiple birth sisters).
    It was an interesting take on the question of overpopulation, scarcity of ressources and one child policy.
    It focusses on the 7 sisters who live in hiding, each one can leave the house only once a week.
    Outside, they have to share the same identity - inside the flat they can be as individual as they want to be.
    They are forced to work as a team, yet everyone tries to live some kind of an individual life even outside, until one of the sisters, monday, doesn't come home one night.
    The movie has some weaknesses (a bit too long, plotwise a bit oversimplified in the final phase for my taste), but all in all, I found it very worth watching for Noomis performances as well as the story.

Jigsaw - I was hoping for some really good plot twists, but that didn't happen :-(
    I really don't know why they revived it that way, it produces even more plotholes than before.

Blade Runner 2049--It didn't make a huge impression on me. Stretches of it were spellbinding, and stretches of it just felt kind of plodding to me. I thought Gosling was excellent and the visuals were stunning. I did appreciate that it felt like its own unique creation rather than a cash-grab sequel. Admission: I enjoy the original, but I'm not a super fan or anything.

Wonderstruck: It's a Todd Haynes film, so of course it's gorgeous and well-acted. I think that overall its lovely and worth seeing, and I would recommend it to others--but it's a minor achievement for a director who has consistently given us such major statements. There's something a bit stiff about the script.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer--This was awesome. I loved The Lobster, and this was a very worthy follow-up for Lanthimos. The whole cast is excellent but the meatiest role is the character of Martin, and Barry Keoghan really gives a star-making performance. He's incredible in this. He's completely deserving of a Best Supporting Actor nod, but the film is quite out there and I can't see it really getting any Oscar love. Also, another feather in Kidman's cap. She's a great actress and consistently daring. I love that she stars in films like this.

werewolves, not swear-wolves Chalk's Avatar
    I saw Blade Runner 2049 last week and the soundtrack and cinematography is fantastic. There was a few scenes with Gosling that I feel it probably should have made more of an impression but failed somewhat. I loved the first Blade Runner and I loved how Villeneuve managed to replicate the feel and aesthetics but at the same time be original. I liked 2049 and I liked that it didn't have forced dialogue explaining everything.

I also saw Thor:Ragnarok yesterday and I frakking needed that. It was a fun, fun, fun film with a great cast. Even if you don't like superhero/comic film I think you're still going to like this one.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    I went to see Call Me By Your Name last Friday, the day it came out in UK cinemas.

It is exactly as good as everyone has been saying it is. It's just beautiful. The acting is superb all around, but Chalamet in particular gives one of those performances that makes you ache when you remember that it's all make-believe. He is almost unbearably vulnerable. The Sufjan songs are wonderful and heartbreaking. I cannot believe Futile Devices was not written specifically for this film. The tension between the two characters in the first section is gradually built up with a knowing lightness until you don't think you'll be able to bear it if they don't just kiss. There is a sense of inevitability in everything - like watching a memory. The themes built so strongly in the novel are played with on screen without ever seeming clunky or overly-literary. Heraclitus is not just mentioned but visually alluded to. The whole thing takes its time and gradually unfolds. You don't realise quite how much you are being told until you think back on it afterwards.

Both this film and the novel it's based on have something vital to say about life and about the ways we have to choose to live it. It was thrilling to watch this in a packed cinema and to react to it alongside a bunch of strangers*. I have to admit that there is something about this story that makes me feel utterly alone. It is not a pleasant feeling, but I think it is important to feel it. I don't want to sound glib or lofty, but I think this is why human beings have a need for art. We can reflect on experiences we have already had, or we can be exposed to things we would never consider happening in our day-to-day lives, and ready ourselves for them if they do. I don't think I've ever been in love, so what is it in this film that I recognise? There is something so optimistic about its portrayal of the joy another human being can bring you, even if it came come with a fair share of pain. I worry a lot about wasting my life, and my relationships, and myself, and this film (and the book) shakes me out of that. In short, I think it makes me a better person. I don't think you can ask for more than that.

This is just word vomit, I realise. But I obviously can't separate this film from my reaction to it. I'm almost definitely going to go again before it comes out of cinemas.

Tl;dr - it's good.

^I think the earliest it will be in the theater by me is Nov 23rd.
    Were the sex scenes as graphic as they were in the book. Not being a perv, but the only thing you didn't talk about at all was the sex.. which is something the book is so detailed about.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

The Joan Didion Documentary on Netflix touched my soul in a profound way.
    That feeling of grief.. when you lose someone, or a relationship, or your faculty.. no one talks about that momentary or sometimes lingering idea that it is all meaningless. I never heard someone talk about it before like I had felt it. Til now. Thank you Ms. Joan Didion for putting on paper what everyone wishes they could articulate at some point during their life.

I also loved how expressive she was when she talked, her arms moving to her words like a dancers would.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

I can tell that CMBYN will leave me with that crushed feeling but I can't wait to see it. (Haven't read the book.)

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    The Joan Didion Documentary on Netflix touched my soul in a profound way.
    That feeling of grief.. when you lose someone, or a relationship, or your faculty.. no one talks about that momentary or sometimes lingering idea that it is all meaningless. I never heard someone talk about it before like I had felt it. Til now. Thank you Ms. Joan Didion for putting on paper what everyone wishes they could articulate at some point during their life.

I also loved how expressive she was when she talked, her arms moving to her words like a dancers would.
    Joan Didion is my god.