Page 520 of 520 FirstFirst ... 20420470510518519520
Results 7,786 to 7,791 of 7791

Thread: What was the last movie you watched?

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Ugh. I don't know what the point of that movie was, either. American Idol destroyed bad singing being funny a long time ago. Meryl was good in it ( of course) and like you said, it was a fun little escape, but it was seriously like eating cotton candy in your sleep. I can't remember a thing about it.

Free Fall with the guy who plays Wolfgang on Sense8 was the latest movie I watched ( Amazon). I'm ALWAYS looking for LGBTQ movies that are actually good and this was one of them. I highly recommend it for one of those nights where you just want to see "men falling for other men and having a hard time with it". Yes, it's cliched as hell and way overdone, but this movie actually felt substantial with more to say than most. Plus, the two leading actors aren't bad on the eyes at all and the love scenes were SO believable and SO well done. There was an intimacy to them that I found really impressive.
    I watched Free Fall on VOD. And when you posted this I had to go back to the films page. And immediately I realized it was him. Like my memory of the movie was re-charged or something. Hard to explain but I am often that person that 5 days after someone has explained something to me I "get it" all the sudden. lol

I assume he must be quite a big name in Independent, German-language films.
    But will you find me if Neil makes me a tree? - Tori.
    Heck yea I will, grrrl. You go be that tree, henny!

I really enjoyed Free Fall. Saw it a couple years ago and was happily surprised when the actor turned up on Sense8.

My most recent film was Girl on a Train. I had heard a lot of pretty negative things about it but was mildy pleasantly surprised. The middle part was slow, but the ending was moderately suspenseful. I enjoy a lot of the actors in it so wanted to watch it because of that.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Florence Foster Jenkins

Hugh Grant and Meryl are everything, but fucking hell, what was the POINT of that movie? If you're rich, a bunch of sycophants will prop up your delusion until you die of syphilis shamed and your dreams crushed? That real love is deceiving your spouse for 20+ years? IDK.
    Those were my exact thoughts. I love it when Meryl is having fun but I'm ready for her to do something that challenges her, rather than just watch her carry a so-so film. I think Doubt was the last thing she shot that didn't feel like she was hauling it on her back.

I almost felt like Florence Foster Jenkins should have been a musical, or something. The idea is super fun, because what a great basis for a movie, but the story was a bit paper-thin and I felt like they were trying to get more out of the characters than the plot offered. It would have been easy to freeze the action a bit and have some pure character moments like in a musical.

Or maybe John Waters could have done something wonderfully demented with it, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    I really enjoyed Free Fall. Saw it a couple years ago and was happily surprised when the actor turned up on Sense8.

My most recent film was Girl on a Train. I had heard a lot of pretty negative things about it but was mildy pleasantly surprised. The middle part was slow, but the ending was moderately suspenseful. I enjoy a lot of the actors in it so wanted to watch it because of that.
    Emily Blunt makes the film watchable. Had they made some better casting and editing decisions she very well may have wound up with an Oscar nomination.

I like Emily Blunt a lot, but even she couldn't save that junk. She was fine, but definitely nowhere close to deserving an Oscar nomination for that film, especially in such a fiercely competitive year when the much more deserving Amy Adams and Annette Bening didn't even land nods.

What Lies Beneath - haven't seen it in ages. forgot a lot of the plot. movie still scares the shit out of me. lol