Page 526 of 527 FirstFirst ... 26426476516524525526527 LastLast
Results 7,876 to 7,890 of 7898

Thread: What was the last movie you watched?

Quote Originally Posted by plastic•husband View Post
    Certain Women
    Three connected stories about four women living in middle of nowhere Montana and just trying to get through life. Nothing out of the ordinary happens, really, but I was transfixed, particularly by Lily Gladstone's character.
    YES, it's a fabulous movie

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Spider-Man Homecoming.

I was very impressed with it. This is like the 4th version in the last 2 decades? But probably the most successful.
    Tom Holland .. I feel so pervy in my 30s but he's a handsome lil fella. He is 18 but still. Too young for me to be goggling over lol
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

Victoria and Abdul - Pleasant film. I think it is being targeted to the same audience as the Marigold Hotel's and 100 Foot Journey. It definitely is like those movies in that there are plenty of comedic relief and nothing too extreme one way or the other.

I was really expecting something closer to Mrs. Brown but it was obviously an entirely different team this time around Frears instead of Madden.
    Should still be enough to garner some BAFTA nominations and certainly a Golden Globe nomination for Dench and Frears.

Murder on the Orient Express - I was disappointed. I think its an okay movie if you don't know the story by Christie or any other film version.
    They altered the story too much for my taste an build in some action scenes with Poirot that were very much out of character with regard to the book-Poirot.
    It's a line up of big screen names but the story and camera mainly focused on Branagh (whom I like very much).
    There wasn't much to do for most of the other actors and actresses, except for Michelle Pfeiffer.

Saw "Don't Think Twice," Mike Birbiglia's love note to improv comedy. It's funny, it's moving, it's an hour and a half. Thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Murder on the Orient Express - I was disappointed. I think its an okay movie if you don't know the story by Christie or any other film version.
    They altered the story too much for my taste an build in some action scenes with Poirot that were very much out of character with regard to the book-Poirot.
    It's a line up of big screen names but the story and camera mainly focused on Branagh (whom I like very much).
    There wasn't much to do for most of the other actors and actresses, except for Michelle Pfeiffer.
    I really liked it! We saw it twice.
    And I didn't know the story. So I must prove your theory as valid..

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    I really liked it! We saw it twice.
    And I didn't know the story. So I must prove your theory as valid..
    Great you liked it
    And even if you know the story twists now, it's worth reading the book or - if it is accessable from your country - to listen to the bbc audio adaptation, it is quite close to the original story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03j...pisodes/player (it will be online until the end of the month)

^Oh sweet! Thanks!

I don't know if it will grab any major nominations this award's season. Kenneth Branagh directed and starred. I dunno. Maybe some Golden Globes voters will give him an acting nom.

Looks like it was an easy movie to make. The full roster of actors really only had 5 major set pieces and all of that could easily be contained at a studio, in fact it felt like a play, really, when they were all together. Probably only took a couple weeks to film the whole cast together.

The only special effects were shots above and beside the CGI train.

But the acting was on point. (Mostly Branagh) I loved the cast they put together.

The Big Sick - For a romcom it was pretty good. The beginning felt a bit romcom by numbers. The entire time his GF is in a coma, tho, the acting/actors/script seemed to really elevate.
    It's getting some very substantial Oscar buzz that I don't entirely understand. Should definitely be nominated at the Globes, tho. I see Holly Hunter maybe being able to take it all the way to the Academy Awards in supporting.

The Florida Project

Wow. Funny, compelling, and finally devastating. Three great performances, by a great actor, a young woman discovered selling weed clothing on Instagram, and a little girl. (Nominate them ALL.) A complex and sharp look at poverty, without seeming to even try. Moonlight, only with white and Hispanic people? Kind of. (Certainly in the sense of showing us people we don't usually see on a movie screen.) A seemingly plotless film that gradually tells a compelling story.

All of that and more. See it, and then discuss it under spoiler tags with me.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    The Florida Project

Wow. Funny, compelling, and finally devastating. Three great performances, by a great actor, a young woman discovered selling weed clothing on Instagram, and a little girl. (Nominate them ALL.) A complex and sharp look at poverty, without seeming to even try. Moonlight, only with white and Hispanic people? Kind of. (Certainly in the sense of showing us people we don't usually see on a movie screen.) A seemingly plotless film that gradually tells a compelling story.

All of that and more. See it, and then discuss it under spoiler tags with me.
    Movie is getting a lot of Oscar buzz as a Best Picture contender!!! Can't wait to see it. Not playing near me, tho.

It definitely deserves a BP nod. My guess is that it'll get one. Sean Baker should at least get a screenplay nod, maybe Best Director. I think Willem Dafoe has a real shot at the Best Supporting Actor trophy. Brooklynn Prince (the little girl) has an Actress nod chance, but I think the field is too crowded. Bria Venaite, who plays the mom, isn't getting awards buzz, which is a shame, because she's amazing. (It's her first acting role ever.) We'll still be seeing plenty of her at the awards shows, because she's gorgeous and fancy dresses look great on her.

But yeah, it'll get plenty of nomination love. As it should.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by stoneforest View Post
    The visuals and the ideas in this were great, but it was just tooooooo sloooooow for me.

I have discovered something about myself as a movie lover in the past few years: I have a hard time engaging with movies that have a lot of silence, or people doing things/interacting without speaking much. I crave dialogue!
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    The visuals and the ideas in this were great, but it was just tooooooo sloooooow for me.

I have discovered something about myself as a movie lover in the past few years: I have a hard time engaging with movies that have a lot of silence, or people doing things/interacting without speaking much. I crave dialogue!
    i'm occasionally okay with style over substance.