Page 520 of 531 FirstFirst ... 20420470510518519520521522530 ... LastLast
Results 7,786 to 7,800 of 7953

Thread: What was the last movie you watched?

It's in theaters in Sweden at the moment. According to IMDB it premiered in September in Ireland and in October in the US, so maybe it has already left the theaters?

The screening I attended was sold out. It's only showing in one theater in Stockholm, but it seems to be doing pretty well for such a niche movie, and it's been out since the end of November so it has been out for a while.

Molly's Game

Excellent, go see it. Both Chastain and Elba are in top form, dialogues are clever and it is very well paced. Funny, too!
    post28!

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    It's in theaters in Sweden at the moment. According to IMDB it premiered in September in Ireland and in October in the US, so maybe it has already left the theaters?

The screening I attended was sold out. It's only showing in one theater in Stockholm, but it seems to be doing pretty well for such a niche movie, and it's been out since the end of November so it has been out for a while.
    Seems it was in the Film Fleadh here last summer https://www.galwayfilmfleadh.com/pro...s-own-country/ (but I was in Manila ) So I think I missed it then, and then when it was in screens here in September I was in Canada. There's a plot for it to evade me it seems!

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post

I follow a couple youtube channels and Gods Own Country was on two different channels most anticipated films list. I think the channel name was Daniel Thompson - the first time I saw it as one of his top 5 most anticipated Gay films of the year. Thing is, I've followed that channel for years and it's all just previews and written reviews. I've never seen a person on their talking. So this Daniel Thompson is either really shy or he never intended to have his person on there.

Sometimes Wolfe, TLA Releasing, or Broken Glass pictures will put up the smaller LGBT films ONdemand. I think it will be online for VOD by the end of the month.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

So, here we go with the ugly cry movies.

The Shape Of Water

Absolutely gorgeous. I think it’s a triumph all around, from acting to directing to design to music to everything else. Absolutely in a league with Pan’s Labyrinth, although it’s very different in some ways. But I think that it basically does the same thing: drops a fairy tale into a harsh reality and bounces them off each other.

But I think there’s something even more interesting happening here. This is a film about outsiders, and how they form communities and even families. The mute woman, her gay friend, and her black coworker come together to help a fish dude. And society stands against them. All of this is played fairly straight, but then del Toro starts throwing in twists. To me, the most important one is that, unlike most films like this,
    And this is where I lose it. Ugly cry, straight through the credits.

So yeah. It’s great. See it.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

^I can't wait to see it!!!!!
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    I, Tonya.

Really fresh and thought provoking, supremely well acted, terrific dialogue, and the use of music to punch up the storytelling was really noteworthy. And the cinematography was unique and really striking. I 100% recommend seeing the movie. It is extremely entertaining.

It did give me pause in a few areas:

1) Is it okay to make this tragic and violent story (which covers, among other things, the parental and spousal abuse of Tonya Harding) a comedy? I can't decide how I feel about that.

2) It really begs you to question the extent to which the movie is sympathetic to Tonya. It is clearly sympathetic in terms of humanizing her and fleshing out the one-dimensional media monster into a full human being. On the other hand, I do not believe it is trying to suggest she wasn't guilty of greater involvement in the crime. She says she wasn't, and the story is told primarily from her recreation of events (after all, it's called "I, Tonya"), but to me there are some suggestions that she is guiltier than what she was convicted of. (The friends I saw the movie with do not agree with me, but that's because they are obviously wrong!)

All of the actors do a fabulous job. This movie should win tons of awards.

^Yea, but I kind of dug that this story, which has been told every which way you can.. up and down, forwards and backwards.. if they just made a traditional biopic.. it might be more suitable for what Lifetime keeps churning out.
    The fact they went so far out there, very hyperbolic, is what is going to give this film the good word of mouth it's sustaining.
    Even the way the movie was lit and costumed, the way it was filmed is just so trippy for lack of a better description. And Margot Robbie. And Sebastain Stan. And ALLISON JANNEY! They're acting was so so so good.

I'm glad Tonya is getting some good press even if it is coming by way of a really well-made film. And with the Olympics coming up... and Mirai Nagasu going for the Triple Axel this year.. It should make decent money in cinemas.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

The Shape of Water Like Steve SFM said, very much in league with Pan's Labyrinth which is always a good thing since I simply adore that film.
    If the race for Best Picture is between Three Billboards, Lady Bird, and The Shape of Water.. the Shape of Water I think should win. Hands down.

So now all I need to see is The Post and The Florida Project.. and maybe the Greatest Showman depending on how all these films do at the Critics Choice Awards on the 11th. But financially this is going to be the last one I see for a while. Good thing The Post isn't really in anyone's radar to win any awards acting or writing or technical. Lessons the urgency. It isn't playing anywhere near me, tho, not even at Stonybrook.
    But I think I've seen all the films that will get in for Best Picture except for The Post.
    Last edited by Volta; 01-08-2018 at 11:21 PM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Call Me by Your Name

For people who have read the book:

I finished the book last week and it crushed me. Like, to the point where I lost my appetite for a few days and my stomach was in knots. Someone said a few pages back that, while the story was beautiful, it made them feel utterly alone. Yup, I feel ya. But what a writer Aciman is. Perhaps the most intense love story I can remember reading. I must have read the passage between Elio and his father ten times.

The movie was absolutely gorgeous. It worked on every level. But I can't help but wonder if I made a mistake by reading the book first. The movie had the near-impossible task of capturing the intensity of Elio's love for Oliver since most of the book is Elio's inner monologue. I'm not saying the movie fell short at all. I loved it in its own right. But the intensity of their finals days in the book is off the charts, their trip to Rome and that magical final night with the poet's book release party. And I'm just imagining how floored I would have been by the last few scenes of the movie if I hadn't known what was to come. I can only imagine what it's like to have a father like Elio's. (Michael Stuhlbarg is wonderful in this.) And Timothee Chalamet in that final scene...

Just saw The Post and felt that it captures what I love most about film, compelling depictions of important events. I thought the performances were good all around. Meryl Streep didn't really go into foreign territory but she, like so often, expertly embodied the emotions of her character. Hanks chewed the scenery somewhat but he was quite believable in his role. I love journalism dramas, i.e. Spotlight and The Paper which this film carried the torch for satisfyingly.

It's now playing at all the places near me. But I doubt I'll find time to see it for a while. Hoping it stays in theaters for a while.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

I'll see that for sure, but I don't want her to win the Oscar. I want it to be Saorise, Sally, or Margot. I want a first time winner.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

I don't want her nominated. I haven't seen it, but the critical response has not been anywhere as enthusiastic those you mentioned.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 08-01-2018 at 10:15 PM.