Page 519 of 521 FirstFirst ... 19419469509517518519520521 LastLast
Results 7,771 to 7,785 of 7802

Thread: What was the last movie you watched?

Quote Originally Posted by Alamo View Post

I'm going to see it tomorrow. Hope it's good.
    Well, meh...

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    Monsters [2010]
    Finally got around to seeing this debut film by Gareth Edwards. It's not a great film; it's very spartan. The love story is almost harder to believe than the giant, land walking alien octopi creatures. However, the two actors are likeable enough that you forgive a lot of the writing flaws. I guess the most impressive thing about this film, and what got Edwards the gig directing Godzilla, is that it was a one-man show. Edwards not only wrote and directed this, but he also did the cinematography and special effects.
    Awww, really? I LOVED Monsters. I thought it was so well-done, insightful, and moving.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar
    Live-action Beauty & the Beast

Luke Evans is delicious as Gaston. Singing pales so much but what can we do? Thank goodness for Audra.

Initially was against the more selfish servants in Be Our Guest (not really hospitality) but it makes sense for them to be desperate AND anyway Mrs Potts did comment that Beast loves Belle when he lets her go. Portal book is a bit ick-ish.

Still, it's a worthwhile watch. Please no whitewashing for Mulan
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Really loved Beauty & the Beast.

I loved the enhanced roles of
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Really loved Beauty & the Beast.

I loved the enhanced roles of
    Indeed!

"Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."

Prevenge - it's pretty great. Poignant, scary, upsetting, sad, gross, and subversively funny. So much more than a great horror film. But there is one thing bugging me:

People with mountain climbing experience fill me in....

GOTG 2

Nice little fluffy diversion. With daddy issues!

Indignation- This movie beautifully articulated something I've been struggling to put into words about where we are right now, mainly the role of college age millennials in this massive cultural divide we are experiencing. And it takes places nearly 70 years in the past!

A Little Chaos- omg this movie is so fucking boring.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Florence Foster Jenkins

Hugh Grant and Meryl are everything, but fucking hell, what was the POINT of that movie? If you're rich, a bunch of sycophants will prop up your delusion until you die of syphilis shamed and your dreams crushed? That real love is deceiving your spouse for 20+ years? IDK.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar

No reason. It has no parallels to any current events whatsoever. It didn't make me facepalm like a dozen times with its eerie similarity to things 40+ years later, that people didn't learn their lessons, people who were alive when this happened so should know even better than people like me who weren't born yet.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Florence Foster Jenkins

Hugh Grant and Meryl are everything, but fucking hell, what was the POINT of that movie? If you're rich, a bunch of sycophants will prop up your delusion until you die of syphilis shamed and your dreams crushed? That real love is deceiving your spouse for 20+ years? IDK.
    It was just a really well-made comedy. I laughed quite a lot and especially when we first hear her sing. It was a nice little film to escape with for me. Yea, I know it wasn't very deep and it really was pointless.. but it was one of my favorite comedies last year.
    Compare it with Ricki and the Flash and... this is more my type of Meryl.

I think at this point in her career singing on film is what excites her/is more novel.
    Last edited by Volta; 05-18-2017 at 10:19 PM.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log done had a child!"

Eyes Wide Shut
    For some reason I haven't seen it before.
    I didn't hate it, but maybe it was too deep for me? It bored the hell out of me, I didn't understand what was the point of... Nothing, actually. It was people talking a lot (A LOT) and boobies and Nicole Kidman's ass. Even if it was one hour shorter I still wouldn't get the point.
    The music was nice.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    It was just a really well-made comedy. I laughed quite a lot and especially when we first hear her sing. It was a nice little film to escape with for me. Yea, I know it wasn't very deep and it really was pointless.. but it was one of my favorite comedies last year.
    Compare it with Ricki and the Flash and... this is more my type of Meryl.

I think at this point in her career singing on film is what excites her/is more novel.
    Ugh. I don't know what the point of that movie was, either. American Idol destroyed bad singing being funny a long time ago. Meryl was good in it ( of course) and like you said, it was a fun little escape, but it was seriously like eating cotton candy in your sleep. I can't remember a thing about it.

Free Fall with the guy who plays Wolfgang on Sense8 was the latest movie I watched ( Amazon). I'm ALWAYS looking for LGBTQ movies that are actually good and this was one of them. I highly recommend it for one of those nights where you just want to see "men falling for other men and having a hard time with it". Yes, it's cliched as hell and way overdone, but this movie actually felt substantial with more to say than most. Plus, the two leading actors aren't bad on the eyes at all and the love scenes were SO believable and SO well done. There was an intimacy to them that I found really impressive.
    Last edited by Adam; 05-19-2017 at 07:08 AM.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Paterson- classic Jarmusch. Loved it.

The Last Laugh - documentary

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/v...ugh-full-film/

The Last Laugh proceeds from the premise that the Holocaust would seem to be an absolutely off-limits topic for comedy. But is it? History shows that even the victims of the Nazi concentration camps themselves used humor as a means of survival and resistance. The Last Laugh weaves together an intimate portrait of Auschwitz survivor Renee Firestone alongside interviews with influential comedians and thinkers ranging from Mel Brooks, Sarah Silverman, and Gilbert Gottfried to authors Etgar Keret and Shalom Auslander, Abraham Foxman of the Anti-Defamation League, as well as archival material ranging from The Producers and Curb Your Enthusiasm, to clips of comics such as Louis CK, Joan Rivers, and Chris Rock, and from newly discovered footage of Jerry Lewis’s never-released film The Day the Clown Cried, to rare footage of cabarets inside the concentration camps themselves.
    This movie might not appeal to some because it's all too easy nowadays to suggest (as I often do) that satire is the most powerful weapon against fascism, but it had plenty of insights from people who know better than me. This scene from Manhattan below reminded me of the way nunu and I often argue about this subject on the boards here.