Page 545 of 548 FirstFirst ... 45445495535543544545546547 ... LastLast
Results 8,161 to 8,175 of 8209

Thread: What was the last movie you watched? (now with reviews)

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    Too long.
    Sums up 90% of all the good and bad movies of the past ten years.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    I totally agree @Spikey - why is this so? Doesn't it cost *more* money to make a longer movie? I don't get it. My attention span cannot keep up!

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Have no idea. Partially this must be the writing and storyboarding, I guess they come with an estimation of length. But also maybe a sunk cost effect?
    Example: X-men Days of Future Past. They shot scenes for Rogue/Anna Paquin, but the final cut didn't even feature those. I was bummed when I first heard it.
    But later, they brought the so-called "Rogue"-cut to DVD/Blu-Ray, and watching that, I'm GLAD those scenes were cut - purely because of the pacing. Cutting out an entire character / actor is a rough decision because of the money already invested, must feel/seem like a total waste of budget, so I think it rarely actually happens.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    The Rogue Cut is the one FXmovies uses.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

IT Chapter Two

First of all, it's a very long movie to sit through. I kept thinking the actual ending was going to happen about 20 minutes before it did and it just kept going on and on.

I've read no critical reviews because I've been looking forward to this film for so long. And weirdly, I've not heard any fan reviews or really even seen commercials for this film.
    All of that was good. I didn't want any spoilers in any form... Especially since I loved so much, so many things about the first chapter and how that movie was so (1) artistically pleasing, (2) had a lot of heart, (3) great acting, and (4) was more emotional and less about being a horror film.
    To me, the most horrific part of that movie was Georgie's death scene. Ok, actually, the jump scares in IT1 actually did scare me.. but I digress.

So.. this movie is so long.
    I'd give the first hour an A+ ..everything about it is as promising as the first movie and mini-series version I so loved. You think if the rest of the film is going to be anything like the opening then it's going to be quite something, possibly epic.
    However.. i'd give the middle of the film a C and the ending a B-

And here's why

I'm sure so many people are going to love this film, tho. And appreciate the more commercial/traditional way horror films are made in 2019.
    I wanted arthouse and it was more funhouse.
    Last edited by Volta; 09-09-2019 at 09:56 PM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    ^
    I saw IT as well. And I hear you about the multiple endings. It just WOULD NOT END. Even still I enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as the first one and it wasn't anything near approaching classic horror film status, but it was a fun night out.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    Rocketman
    Taron Egerton did a well enough job singing and acting. The movie felt a little light to me. I've seen so many biopics though, that they have a predictable rhythm for me. Fortunately I wasn't expecting epic greatness, so I wasn't disappointed.

It would be a good primer for someone unfamiliar with Elton John's life or music.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Quote Originally Posted by .chris View Post
    ^
    I saw IT as well. And I hear you about the multiple endings. It just WOULD NOT END. Even still I enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as the first one and it wasn't anything near approaching classic horror film status, but it was a fun night out.
    Absolutely. But bring a butt pad or back brace and dont drink anything hours before. You really don’t want to have to miss a scene due to your bladder.
    It’s a long movie but a lot happens. And there’s a few really satisfying scenes that I won’t hint at because people were clapping when something was revealed.

I’d almost say wait for the dvd (Theres so many Easter eggs I’m sure) but nothing else is worth seeing at 13-16 bucks so you’re going to see it anyhow. ������
    Last edited by Volta; 09-10-2019 at 02:41 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Ad Astra
    At first, I hated it. Weirdly, I read no reviews, barely watched commercials for it and no trailer..and wanted to be taken on this really incredible sci-fi experience like how I felt the first time I saw Interstellar. And at only 2 hours long I was pretty pumped. I was thinking they got it right. These epics don’t have to be so long. But after watching it I felt it was topsy turvey.
    If you’re going to do so much voice over maybe it should be for longer films.
    It’s stunning to look at but there’s not enough to look at when you have Netflix shows I can access at any time just as good.

Read some reviews after seeing it- yes, I should have read them before.. almost all the reviews..incredibly good (by critics) if not declaring the film a masterpiece.

There are spoilers ahead but nothing that reveals the ending.

The father/son aspect and this deeper meaning that the more we look to the stars the less we notice the beauty that’s right in front of our faces flew over my head. All along I assumed the father/son relationship would be all about love and the driving force like in Intersellar. (everyone say love) and I wanted to see really cool action sequences (there is one good one - but not enough) and an ending that “makes you think!”
    This movie is the opposite of all that on purpose.
    And I was really annoyed by the science and how half the crap the movie just dusts over is impossible. Again, Interstellar was sci-fi but it excited with the fact the writers studied so much about Interstellar travel and theory about inter dimensional travel that it all could be possible.

Roy enters a ship from beneath while the rocket is counting down, sparks shooting at him for example. And somehow during takeoff he gets in??? Wtf

And then a fan review hit it on the head. This is a drama/fantasy. Don’t apply textbook rules to it. It’s an escape. These are movie rules; enjoy that.
    It’s supposed to be fun. It’s not really trying to make things that could be in a thesis down the road, It’s trying to grab you emotionally.
    And I didn’t let it. I was so let down by the sobering if not incredibly bleak and slow moving-ness. I didn’t pay attention to the reasons Roy is so somber. Or the moments at the end with his father. I didn’t absorb any of that cuz I kept waiting for aliens and creatures to pop up.

So what is it about. According to critics it’s really a simple story set in a not too distant future.

It’s about a father who really isn’t attached to his son. And a son who doesn’t want to ever be a father. It’s about how technology that could make lunar travel easy would just be corrupted by capitalism and “Fast Food on the moon” (Tori).

The only way I’ll ever know if the movie is really good is if I watch it again looking out for the relationship parts and less about a movie that finds new life in space that is destructive to humans. Humanity doesn’t need any help with that and maybe that’s the point altogether.
    Last edited by Volta; 09-26-2019 at 06:41 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

I had a similar problem with Ad Astra. I couldn't tell if it was amazing or horrible.

The main problem I had was that the laws of physics were no different than they are in a movie like Sharknado.

But since the film's subject is so serious, you're forced to take this bonkers science seriously.

I mean, the character is literally flying through an asteroid field on a surfboard at one point.

Another thing I couldn't figure out is why he had to go to Mars to send the signal to Neptune. Can't he just send the signal directly from Earth?

Anyway, the emotion was there. But it was hard to find amongst the pseudoscience.
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

I'm sooo mad that someone spoiled the ending for me before I got to see it. But I did finally see it tonight, and remaining unspoiled is the key to this movie. Yes it's long, but not that long. There are a lot of build-up scenes that seem unimportant until it all comes together in the last act.

Going to see "Judy" tomorrow - very excited!

Judy
    I didn’t think it was as good as all the rave reviews.
    But it was the performance of a lifetime for Renee!

It was a just above average film with a way above average performance. It was almost painful to look at her, how frail she was. Just how desperate she was to get any amount of sleep.

The first 40 mins or so had me a little worried because it’s not much going on. That’s what keeps it from being as good as the critical reviews I’ve read. But then, bam!, it really takes off as the performances on and off stage start and stop.

In the end, I just felt so sorry for this frail woman who was just picked away at by everyone she turned to for help. And then it was like.. this happened to a real person. And that’s the other part that maybe was an issue. I kind of forgot this was Judy Garland til the end and a couple flashbacks.
    I do remember a TV movie I watched a very long time ago that I thought was a better Judy Garland impersonation; however, what is on the screen, this tragic woman.. that was so well done.

Not as good as Natalie Portman’s performance as Jackie (to compare biopics) but much better than say Rosamund Pike’s Marie Colvin.
    Last edited by Volta; 09-28-2019 at 04:52 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by SloppyJane View Post
    I had a similar problem with Ad Astra. I couldn't tell if it was amazing or horrible.

The main problem I had was that the laws of physics were no different than they are in a movie like Sharknado.

But since the film's subject is so serious, you're forced to take this bonkers science seriously.

I mean, the character is literally flying through an asteroid field on a surfboard at one point.

Another thing I couldn't figure out is why he had to go to Mars to send the signal to Neptune. Can't he just send the signal directly from Earth?

Anyway, the emotion was there. But it was hard to find amongst the pseudoscience.
    Yea, and the very beginning?? That seemed impossible from start to finish. So maybe they were telling us something. That none of the science parts were physically possible.
    Although, the rockets look like relics and the lunar landing like from the Apollo missions. Certainly a lot of waste when it came to materials needed to get back and forth. Don’t even get me started on Mars. He swims to the rocket pad??? Wtf.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Wow. Renee Zellweger did an amazing job. Seriously amazing. I guess I didn't realize she was such a talented actress. She becomes an **entirely different human being*** in this movie. Her embodiment of Judy Garland is uncanny but also very nuanced, and very loving. She was perfect and very fun and heartbreaking to watch. In short, RZ slayed.

The movie was too long by 25 minutes. There was something about the flashback sequences I didn't like, but I can't put my finger on it.