Page 547 of 547 FirstFirst ... 47447497537545546547
Results 8,191 to 8,196 of 8196

Thread: What was the last movie you watched? (now with reviews)

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Terminator Dark Fate
    Very good and very action packed. I don’t think Linda Hamilton’s return was as incredible as Jamie Lee Curtis in Halloween last year.
    But still a good movie. Nothing so good you couldn’t wait for the DVD OR DIGITAL later on.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Netflix’ The King
    Really good. Shocking and surprisingly good.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

She has a plan for that. Steve SFM's Avatar
    Can anyone report on Last Christmas?

I’ve heard it’s dreadful.
    And it's going to be how do we think government should work and who do we think government should work for?

The Report

I'd describe it as a quiet movie with shocking content.
    Adam Driver's portrayel of Daniel Jones as a diligent, ethically uncorrupted worker bee who tries to do the right thing, is wonderful.

It was at times difficult to follow for me, as I am not that familiar with all the political backgrounds, events and agencies in the US that were hinted at or referred to.
    It is very worth watching - but only if you don't expect the ususal political thriller drama and suspense kind of story telling.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    Doctor Sleep

Stayed pretty closely with the novel. Given that Kubrick's "vision" was nothing like The Shining (and awful imo) the film managed to blend that film with the story really well.

I didn't find it scary but my threshold for scary is pretty fucking high. Not many horror movies get much out of me but a few jump scares. The story itself is good though and even if you're like me and not easily horrified, you will still be entertained.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    Joker

Sorry, Volta. I kind of hated it. Phoenix is one of the best, but this time out, I thought it was less "Best Acting" than "Most Acting". It seems like a decision was made to let him go wild. He was entertaining, and there was some really good ideas, but IMO it was just too much. In general, I felt like the movie was usually shouting "Aren't we EDGY", when in reality it was all rather pedestrian. And despite all his effort, I'd pretty much say the same thing about Phoenix's performance.

I can't help but think back to a movie from last year called You Were Never Really Here. In that, Phoenix played a similarly disturbed and violent character. But there, he and the movie were far subtler and less flashy. And it was far more compelling and disturbing. I'm not saying "Big Movies Bad, Small Movies Good", but this time out, the subtlety made the difference for me.
    I finally got round to seeing it - I didn't really like it either. The gritty setting I really loved, maybe the performance was okay, I just didn't like the plot. The first half attempted to make a point about violence breeding violence, but then there was the (not so) random Batman link and 'he's just a schizo who stopped taking his meds'. Point lost - maybe another point was made, but it didn't work for me at all.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎