Page 550 of 551 FirstFirst ... 50450500540548549550551 LastLast
Results 8,236 to 8,250 of 8252

Thread: What was the last movie you watched? (now with reviews)

Cats
    This movie has to be seen to be believed. How a production can go so off the rails. Every person in the theater was dying by the end. My friend and i were cry laughing. Go see it! Movies like this only come around once in a blue moon.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I am dying to see this when it comes out digitally. I want to get super fucked up and enjoy the disaster!

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

I was probably the only one bummed that...

Yeah, count me out on that one

a succulent Chinese meal lacuna's Avatar
    I was reading somewhere, another gossip site, that the reason Dominic Monaghan was even in ROS was because he won a bet against JJ. A bet!! That just fucking irritates me. If it was just a dinky little cameo, big whoop, but he just kept popping up like an idiot. It was very noticeable.

I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by plastic•husband View Post
    Cats
    This movie has to be seen to be believed. How a production can go so off the rails. Every person in the theater was dying by the end. My friend and i were cry laughing. Go see it! Movies like this only come around once in a blue moon.
    Some of the reviews after the review embargo was lifted were hilarious.

@ZoeJardiniere is going to be live tweeting:

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    The way Cats has been described, I wonder if it will end up being a cult classic about 10 years from now.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I've been waiting for 1917 since the 4 screenings that only critics and movie insiders were allowed into back in November. And I have to say.. It kind of disappointed me.
    Because if you maintain the real-time component and you throw cuts into that, the story itself isn't a strong one. As someone on here said it's getting a bit tired these "Great War" movies cleaning up at the awards shows.

There's no spoiler in this. But two people are asked to do something that requires them to walk quite a ways. And besides that.. the acting to me is meh... nothing overly special. The ending.. not particularly groundbreaking, certainly there are many better endings in the long list of films in this genre.

The one moment something that was meant to be very shocking happens it just felt so unlikely.

So what should an Oscar voter think about this film? Should a basic plot with average acting win best picture just because the team made it so much more difficult than they had to?
    Or is it the high-degree of difficulty that wins in the end?
    We'll find out.
    Last edited by Volta; 01-11-2020 at 03:43 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Climax

Props to Gaspar Noe, a filmmaker I have enormous respect for. No movies get under my skin the way his do, and this movie is a fucking nightmare. I can't help it, I love feel-bad movies. Remember Mother, that Aronofsky movie from a few years ago... well, I feel like this is what Aronofsky was aiming for but Noe makes him look like an amateur film student by comparison.

Parasite was by far my favorite movie of 2019 but this at least ties it.

ALSO...

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar

It was a perfectly adequate movie but nothing special. Not sure why there was so much hype around it. I only went to see it because I got free tix. I spent a good deal of the movie worried about a character getting an infection in his hand and guessing at what point in the timeline I'd end up dead.

The ending was a well used cliche.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Nevertheless, she persisted. Steve SFM's Avatar
    Gaspar Noe is a fucking madman. Climax sounds really goods. And, I also love well-made feel-bad movies.
    In November, vote for the candidate who believes in science.

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    And, I also love well-made feel-bad movies.
    I'm not sure if we're in the same context, but two examples of this for me (that I love) are:

-Ordinary People
    -Manchester by the Sea

Two of my favorite movies!

Nothing I enjoy makes me feel worse than Dancer In The Dark. Ugh.

For me there's sad movies and then there's feel-bad movies. Sad movies in a way make me feel happy. Maybe it's because I'm comfortable in sadness, or because crying is a release. A good example would be Wit, with Emma Thompson.

Feel-bad movies are like living nightmares, where you almost have to dare yourself to watch. It's a delicate balance because if I feel like the movie is trying too hard to upset me, the spell is broken and I just feel like it's cheap manipulation.

I remember John Waters once said something I really liked, something like "I don't need a movie to make me feel good, I already feel good!"

Nevertheless, she persisted. Steve SFM's Avatar
    I often say the only movies that make me depressed are bad movies.

To me, the ultimate beautifully made feel-bad movie is Sophie's Choice.
    In November, vote for the candidate who believes in science.

new one from Xavier Dolan, Matthias & Maxime