Page 498 of 550 FirstFirst ... 398448488496497498499500508548 ... LastLast
Results 7,456 to 7,470 of 8242

Thread: What was the last movie you watched? (now with reviews)

Passengers

I really enjoyed it, actually! It has a lot more going for it than the trailer suggests, and the chemistry between the two leads is fantastic.
    post28!

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Moonlight - Lived up to all the hype.
    3 Chapters of a young man's life. The first one rough, the second one raw and the third one had something very gentle and serene about it. I've not seen another movie like this before.. I think Pariah comes close, but Pariah didn't have the beautiful photography or style of this film. This film is really a work of art in the way that Carol, last year, was a work of art.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

A monster calls. Simply fantastic. Best movie I've seen in a long time. I will definitely need a repeat viewing in the theatre and will buy it as soon as it comes out.

Ingmar Bergman's Face to Face. Liv Ullmann plays a psychiatrist who finds herself spiraling into mental illness. It is long and often painful to watch, but her performance is incredible. Particularly her breakdown scene. So scary and real, how she oscillates between maniacal laughter and guttural sobbing. Was there ever a better screen actress? A must see for Bergman fans!

Jackie

I normally loathe biopics, but this one is EXCELLENT. It uses a circumscribed, specific moment in time to explore a particular historical character and, by extension, historical moment. The cinematography is excellent, and La Diva Portman is flaaaaaawless. The script manages to touch on a lot of interrelated ideas about history, legacy, womanhood, beauty, art, truth vs. narrative, media. etc. It's also just a straight-up well-done exploration of a woman grieving a murdered husband and dealing with the PTSD of that murder happening in front of her, in her lap. The recollections jump around a lot, sometimes without much or any transition, but I thought that served the overall intention and purpose of a) the story being framed by her giving an interview about the events after some time had passed, so the fragmented and non-chronological reflections mimic the way memory functions, and b) telling a story about what someone's mindset is like in the aftermath of something so horrific.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Hidden Figures - One of the feel good movies that I hope gets a Best Picture nomination.
    It was so good!
    Just a very complete work and I just really enjoyed the mix of drama and comedic relief.
    Janelle Monae can act, shoot. I know what Taraji and Octavia can do but hands down to Janelle. I hope she gets bigger parts in the future.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

La La Land
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Just watched Big Eyes on Netflix. Been meaning to watch it for the longest time. I have to say, the story is interesting, but I'm not sure it deserved any real recognition. Also weird, Amy Adams won the Golden Globe for it for "lead actress in a comedy or musical"? Come again?? It is neither a comedy nor a musical. I find that very confusing. But I digress. The movie was fine, but not particularly well done in my opinion, not especially artful or poignant. The narration by the journalist seemed entirely unnecessary and tonally wrong.

Hidden Figures. Absolutely excellent movie, so glad I saw it! The cast were unilaterally great, the story is fascinating and inspiring, the look of it is beautiful... just the whole package was really fantastic.

Rogue One

This has gotten rave reviews???
    I thought it was incredibly boring, to be honest. If it wasn't IMAX and loud as fuck in the cinema, I would've fallen asleep.
    It was predictable, cliché, poorly written and badly plotted like a video game (if planets were levels). All in all a rather unnecessary movie.
    The space battles looked cool, though.
    post28!

Quote Originally Posted by wout View Post
    Rogue One

This has gotten rave reviews???
    I thought it was incredibly boring, to be honest. If it wasn't IMAX and loud as fuck in the cinema, I would've fallen asleep.
    It was predictable, cliché, poorly written and badly plotted like a video game (if planets were levels). All in all a rather unnecessary movie.
    The space battles looked cool, though.
    Same. I thought it was boring, terribly paced/structured, and peopled with uninteresting characters. It was also an even more blatant nostalgia play than The Force Awakens, and I didn't think that was possible. Meh.

It wasn't as good as episode 7 but for what it was and what it was trying to do I really liked it.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

It was enjoyable enough, but upon reflection, Rogue One really isn't a great movie. The story is messy in places and the Forest Whitaker and Riz Ahmed characters have no reason for being there, really. What I did like: Director Krennick (sp?), the power struggle between Krennick and Tarkin, the dad/scientist character, and the way it bled right into A New Hope, which was quite well done and clever, I thought. It should have had an opening crawl, and I felt annoyed by the little cue cards showing the names of the locations.

I don't know... I don't think Disney should put out a Star Wars movie *every year*. It's certain to lead to diminishing returns, and quality is bound to suffer.

Hidden Figures - Kick ass!
    La La Land - Not a fan of musicals, but there was enough spoken dialogue that it kept my interest. And Ryan is hawt.
    Moonlight - Very moving story.
    A Street Cat Named Bob - I really loved it, and it's more meaningful knowing it's based on a true story.

Arrival

Hmmmmm. I'm not sure about this one! I THINK I really liked it. I think it captured the dread and the awe of what the situation would be like, as well as the totally bananas global reaction. I also liked all the philosophical points about language, and how studying the heptapods' language changed Louise's perception of time. The ending revelations and sequences really got to me.

Despite all that, I'm still not quite sure I LOVED it. Maybe it's just because I love Contact so much and this treads similar territory, though they're very different. I would still put it on a "best of 2016" list but I feel like I need to watch it again to be sure of it.

Also, I love Amy Adams, and I know she's gotten a lot of attention for this role, but I think she was miscast here. She was fine, but I don't think she's someone who does "grim" or "brooding" very well. I've always found her the most magnetic in roles with a lot of kineticism to them, be it bubbly (Junebug, Enchanted) or mouthy (The Fighter). This was a role with a lot of stillness and quiet to it, though, and I feel that a different actress might have been able to do more with it. IMO.