Page 541 of 543 FirstFirst ... 41441491531539540541542543 LastLast
Results 8,101 to 8,115 of 8140

Thread: What was the last movie you watched? (now with reviews)

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    Yes.
    Seeing you post reminded me... Do you watch Comedy Central's show Corporate? It's a darkly funny show like Better Off Ted. Anyway, there was an episode recently about a national tragedy occurring on a character's birthday and in between bouts of dying of laughter, I thought of you.

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Isn't It Romantic? with Rebel Wilson. It is exactly what you imagine it will be from the previews. Fun, predictable, turn off your brain cute. Exactly what I was looking for.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    Isn't It Romantic? with Rebel Wilson. It is exactly what you imagine it will be from the previews. Fun, predictable, turn off your brain cute. Exactly what I was looking for.
    This was a perfect hangover movie with a friend the afternoon after a very long night out. Haha. Really enjoyable, and funnier than I expected it to be.

I saw Gloria Bell a few weekends ago and loved it. It sort of skips along at a breezy pace and could have been handled in a very sentimental way, but it's not. Part of what I loved about the film was the darkness on the corners--it gives us a character whose world in a lot of ways isn't making space for her and is potentially closing in on her. Also, it's not often that you see films with big Hollywood stars that focus on ageing.

Plus, Julianne Moore is INCREDIBLE in this.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    We're going to see Gloria Bell this weekend.
    All I know about the film besides Julianne Moore is "Gloria Bell is a movie about love/life on the dance floor after 50." I already love it. lol
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I don't know how to process this information. I think my brain had a BSOD

35 years before 1984 was 1949. Just four years after WWII.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    I don't know how to process this information. I think my brain had a BSOD

35 years before 1984 was 1949. Just four years after WWII.
    What’s sad is that building still would look super modern in a lot of communities.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Cold War via Amazon Prime - I guess I kind of liked it. I definitely get the hype. It's wonderfully directed and the editing is perhaps technically the best of last year. I especially appreciated the use of mirrors.
    But 65% of the film is singing and dancing and the subtitles don't go the full length of the songs. Bummer. So what's left in this love story is not a lot.
    I feel like Zula was so good she had chemistry with everyone she was with but Wiktor was a really difficult character to understand and sometimes that took me out of the story.
    The end is very strong, tho. If anything.. the ending is worth the beginning hehe.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

US -
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    US -
    I saw US too this week - but I was quite disappointed.
    Though it had really scary scenes, good acting and interesting story twists.
    But the whole story seemed not convincing to me, especially in the final phase of the movie.

But I had a nightmare after watching it

^I've seen it again knowing the twist and it's a completely different experience.
    It's kind of nutz knowing that we have so many underground spaces, former subway/train stations, all the underground infrastructure abandoned or serving no purpose ever. It's a great way to start a story like this.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

So I haven't dropped a bunch of stuff on here in a while. I've seen two relatively new movies to prime and one movie I rented from redbox.
    Amazon Prime:
    Colette and The Children Act - both movies worth watching, very easy to digest.. good stories, nothing too extreme.

Free Solo - You hear that ole sang "Triumph of the human spirit." This is more like triumph of the human body. It's absolutely edge of your seat, completely absorbing. If I would have seen this in theater or at IMAX last year this would have been my favorite movie of that year by far.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    Free Solo - You hear that ole sang "Triumph of the human spirit." This is more like triumph of the human body. It's absolutely edge of your seat, completely absorbing. If I would have seen this in theater or at IMAX last year this would have been my favorite movie of that year by far.
    Yes, this is a very good movie!
    To me, it was also interesting from a psychological perspective: How some people need/use that kind of extrem risk to be that concentrated, focused and aware of every nano-move and grip.
    I also liked how the movie makers became an important part of it as their presence had impact on APs climbing skills.
    And to see how his girlfriend, friends and climbing mates were affected by his doing was very moving.

^Oh yea, it was so interesting. They really did a good job especially when he's answering the questions at the school. I love how kids just have no filter. haha And how he had no filter in response.
    I also liked that seemingly.. the filmmakers had all the camera set up for probably days maybe even weeks so that when he woke up and felt good about it they could just record. No pressure. There was some real TLC from that side.
    I just finished watching the Build Interview on Youtube and they made a movie called MERU which I think is on Amazon Prime describing that climbing doc as more Shakespearean than Free Solo. So I can't wait to watch that one.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    I saw US too this week - but I was quite disappointed.
    Though it had really scary scenes, good acting and interesting story twists.
    But the whole story seemed not convincing to me, especially in the final phase of the movie.
    I too was disappointed with Us. The film felt very messy to me. It tries to be too many things at the same time and ends up as much less than the sum of its parts. It wasn't scary, the comedic punching up was unnecessary and the dumping of exposition during the two key scenes was too little, too late, as well as clumsily implemented. There's also a ton of plot holes that make the ending unsatisfying. I get that the film is trying to focus more on presenting a metaphor, but it shouldn't come at the expense of everything else.

Pet Sematary - This was the opposite of Us. This horror film is as straightforward as they come and it's also extremely predictable. That said, it's mostly well-executed and there's one scene set in a spooky environment that I loved. I just wish this had been far more eccentric. At least throw in some more undead animals!