Page 544 of 546 FirstFirst ... 44444494534542543544545546 LastLast
Results 8,146 to 8,160 of 8185

Thread: What was the last movie you watched? (now with reviews)

Aladdin

It's one of my favorite Disnney animated movies and Will Smith as a genie looked terrible in the trailers so I wasn't expecting much. And that turned out to be spot on.

Biggest issue? The guy playing Aladdin is as dead-pan as they come. He has zero range.
    Will smith has his moments but he too mostly wears the same goofy expression and his chemistry with Aladdin is non-existant. For every joke he lands, he missed the next two. They shoe-horn in all the required bits and moments from the original that it looks like a check-list of sequences. They do stray away from the original here and there, which makes it tad more interesting than the carbon copy Beauty and the Beast was (and the new Lion King looks like to become) but it misses all the heart and soul. Remember A Whole New World in the original? Here, it's devoid of any joy and wonder and it's over before you know it.

Hot Jafar was good, though.

The White Crow

The story of Rudolf Nureyev. It was stunning! If you have any interest in dance/ballet at all, I urge you to go see this. Even if only for the music!
    Last edited by wout; 05-30-2019 at 05:33 PM.
    post28!

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    X-Men: Dark Phoenix

Not as bad as the reviews. But probably the worst movie in the franchise behind The Last Stand.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    X-Men: Dark Phoenix

Not as bad as the reviews. But probably the worst movie in the franchise behind The Last Stand.
    There must be something wrong with me, cause I loved it. Sophie Turner surprisingly killed it.

The tone was definitely a big risk. It almost felt more like a drama than a typical comic book movie.
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

Land of Storms - Amazon recommended it to me. There's so many little Gay romance movies on prime or rent via prime but I noticed that the foreign ones are the only movies that have any kind of really well-done, well-planned cinematography.

Visually, every frame of this Hungarian/German film is stunning. The actors are completely committed and you invest in them very quickly.. which
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

His name is John Mark McMillan. Interestingly enough, he's actually a singer/songwriter in the Christian music industry.

EDIT: sorry, this was a response to Volta's question about the singer of "Hunter" in the new Terminator trailer.
    Last edited by timbo; 06-17-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Thank you
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

The Dead Don't Die
    A lot of great little moments but overall disappointing. I wasn't expecting Zombieland 2, but I was hoping for more humor and a tighter script. This was a film where you felt it's length.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    The Dead Don't Die
    A lot of great little moments but overall disappointing. I wasn't expecting Zombieland 2, but I was hoping for more humor and a tighter script. This was a film where you felt it's length.
    I really enjoyed it and especially liked how inert and slow the main characters reacted.

girlfriend, you are so on Octopussy's Avatar
    Midsommar - I wasn’t expecting it to be so GORY!! It was great, the cinematography alone is basically the whole reason people make movies (or should be.) I think Wicker Man comparisons are not quite accurate, aside from the whole violent rituals juxtaposed with flowers and Maypole-type dances and such.

Swiss Army Man - LOVED it!

Midsommar - nice images and strange atmosphere, but too long and wandering, losing it's pace

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Too long.

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood... . I thought this was a great period piece that really captured the mood of late 60's LA, especially Hollywood and The Valley. It also peeked my interest in the Sharon Tate/Charles Manson debacle from that period which is somewhat of a subplot. A lot of good music and some good cameos from various current actors playing actors from this period. Brad Pitt also impressed me which is somewhat rare as I often don't care for him. I'd recommend it highly.

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dAmION View Post
    Once Upon A Time in Hollywood... . I thought this was a great period piece that really captured the mood of late 60's LA, especially Hollywood and The Valley. It also peeked my interest in the Sharon Tate/Charles Manson debacle from that period which is somewhat of a subplot. A lot of good music and some good cameos from various current actors playing actors from this period. Brad Pitt also impressed me which is somewhat rare as I often don't care for him. I'd recommend it highly.
    I can't recommend it really, but I do agree with all of your positives ... especially Brad Pitt. Fundamentally a good movie, but it was just so, so longgggg

She has a plan for that. Steve SFM's Avatar
    Once Upon A Time....In Hollywood

Not long enough. Seriously, it was long, but I didn’t care, because it was all great. I loved it, controversial ending and all. I’m waiting for a call now, but I shall return.
    And it's going to be how do we think government should work and who do we think government should work for?