Page 518 of 523 FirstFirst ... 18418468508516517518519520 ... LastLast
Results 7,756 to 7,770 of 7834

Thread: What was the last movie you watched?

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    I've been watching all these interviews with Luca Guadagnino since seeing CMBYN and maybe I'm in love with him now? I love the way he articulates his point of view.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    They haven't made period pieces like this one in many years. It's just beautiful to look at. Luscious and verdant Italian country side. Scenes that are works of art by themselves. It seems like every little detail was done so perfectly.
    Yes, even I can misspell four-letter words. Can you imagine that pewp?

King Cobra. It feels a bit like the movie was done on the cheap and could have been made much more interesting and compelling, however, all four lead actors were fantastic. Christian Slater and James Franco both gave amazing performances. Interesting real life story, too, which I hadn't heard anything about previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    They haven't made period pieces like this one in many years. It's just beautiful to look at. Luscious and verdant Italian country side. Scenes that are works of art by themselves. It seems like every little detail was done so perfectly.
    Where did you see it?
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Molly's Game with Jessica Chastain and Idris Elba.

I thought it was absolutely excellent! I described it to the friend who invited me (I hadn't even heard of the movie) as propulsive. Very engaging from the very first second. I hope it does well and gets some recognition. Incredibly well done on every level.

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar
    The Greatest Showman

It's a shame that the admirable Hugh Jackman should put such earnestness into Barnum, given the latter's history, but the gloss in the film makes it palatable I guess? And Hugh is certainly palatable in the show. Love the choreo. Music is good.

And if it can get you running after more information and discovering Jenny Lind, all the better.
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Where did you see it?
    Saw it at the Arts Theater in Atlanta.
    I've also seen I, Tonya and Lady Bird (again) - I, Tonya was everything, but I warmed up to Lady Bird, as well. I could not connect with it at first, but I see the appeal in a different way, now. Plus I caught a lot of things I missed the first time around.

I think Allison Janney should win Best Supporting Actress, tho. All the way! She makes the movie. Oscar voters usually don't go for characters this evil (exception for Christophe Waltz) - but that was a performance that can rise above. I just don't understand Oscar cockblocking Janney for so long. That's the wildcard for me, the only thing that brings me doubt.. Why Oscar doesn't appreciate her???

Last thing about I, Tonya - I just didn't anticipate the movie being that gruesome. There were parts that made me very squeamish. It all worked, tho. Nothing like it this year. It's like Black Swan if Black Swan was trying to be comedic.

I am here until New Years. Going to see the Great Xscape: Still Kicking it New Years Eve bash with Xscape (I never thought they'd reunite), Monica, and Tamar Braxton. When I found out months ago about the NYE show I got ahold of friends and family. I was not going to miss this. Xscape, Monica, Tamar..... no waay.
    Last edited by Volta; 12-31-2017 at 10:35 AM.

I still haven't reviewed the two movies I saw on Christmas Eve and Day. You know, the two films that made me cry. Ugly cry.

So I should probably get to that.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

^ do tell!
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Last Jedi finally. I actually really liked it. An improvement over Force Awakens I thought; I'm glad Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill got substantive roles. I didn't have trouble with the aspects of the film that appear to be generating the most criticism. I only really had two issues:

1) Lots of CGI and not all of it great (I'm always in favor of a less is more approach with respect to that)

2) Perhaps related to #1, it had a Harry Potter look (and therefor feel) to me in places, which I did not like

I honestly cannot imagine where JJ ABrams will take the story next and how they will (hopefully) manage keep it feeling fresh and urgent.

Why is this happening to me? beanstew's Avatar
    Josie and the Pussycats. Perfect lazy new year's day movie. Alan Cumming is hilarious! And Parker Posey's outfit!

Last edited by beanstew; 01-01-2018 at 05:33 PM.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    ^ That's one of my favourites! It's hilarious, and totally on the nose about where the music industry was going.

Just saw Killing of a sacred deer - how disturbing.
    I still feel weird.
    I loved The Lobster - this movie though....was much more unsettling.
    It's one of those things that is super interesting to me, yet I am not sure if I really liked it.
    But I like that I will think about scenes, meanings and acting the next couple of days.

The Last Jedi
    I really liked it! I have been trying to stay spoiler free, so I haven't really read a lot of reviews or engaged with the backlash so my reaction was pretty un-influenced and spontaneous. I thought it was a good ride, with pathos and verve. Better than The Force Awakens (which I did like). I love how many good female characters the new crop of Star Wars movies have. On the other hand, I don't think they know what to do with Finn as a character though.

Call Me By Your Name
    I've been eagerly awaiting this film since I read the book at the end of 2016. It did not disappoint. I was just beautifully realized. I'm completely aboard the "Timothée Chalamet should win the Best Actor Oscar"-train. I was absolutely gobsmacked by his performance. Those last couple of scenes (the train station, the car ride and the coda) were riveting. It's so rare to see such a fully realized adaptation of a novel, but Guadagnino hit it out of the park with this one.

I also rewatched Rouge One on New Years Day, and I thought it really held up well on a second viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    Last Jedi finally. I actually really liked it. An improvement over Force Awakens I thought; I'm glad Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill got substantive roles. I didn't have trouble with the aspects of the film that appear to be generating the most criticism. I only really had two issues:

1) Lots of CGI and not all of it great (I'm always in favor of a less is more approach with respect to that)

2) Perhaps related to #1, it had a Harry Potter look (and therefor feel) to me in places, which I did not like

I honestly cannot imagine where JJ ABrams will take the story next and how they will (hopefully) manage keep it feeling fresh and urgent.