Page 523 of 528 FirstFirst ... 23423473513521522523524525 ... LastLast
Results 7,831 to 7,845 of 7918

Thread: What was the last movie you watched?

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Phantom Thread - I absolutely loved it. It was delicious to look at and so exquisite to listen to.
    DDL's soft voice, all the scenes where you could watch and listen to the fabrics being cut, sculpted, tailored, sewn by hand. Combine that with the beautiful, sedating quality of Vicky Krieps' accent and the way she moved, the way the colors from room to room softened her face. I think she's one of the most beautiful ladies I've seen on film in a while whose work I've never seen before.

it was just one of the most pleasant films this year to experience. I think there was a real method, a real intention with what this film was supposed to be. If you notice not one character hesitates about anything. And I didn't want to like it at all from all the reviews. Oh well. It's nice to be surprised.
    I found the film very relaxing and very warm. Most of the time warm.
    Last edited by Volta; 02-11-2018 at 07:44 AM.
    Miss Vanjieeee. Miss Vanjiee. ..Miss Van..

I watched this German film You and I on Amazon Prime because it had a relatively decent customer/consumer rating.
    This movie is why I hate that IMDB took down their messageboards. I want to know what people think!!! Damnit.

Are they now a couple? Were they always a couple? Are they never ever going to be a couple?

Quote Originally Posted by wout View Post
    The Greatest Showman

Man, I had a blast! I do hope we will get to see more movies like this, a bit of the good ol' 50's hollywood feelgood style.
    I saw this on a date this weekend and it was aaight. Music & most of the musical numbers were fantastic, but I thought the pacing was uneven (we both were googling Jenny Lind & PT Barnum during the film) and the overall plot was a bit too formulaic for me. I'm glad it's doing well though because even though I'm not a huge fan of musicals, I love variety. And we can always use more of that in the theaters.

Thumbs up Black Panther

Black Panther is a good superhero movie with tinges of some very relevant social commentary. It retreads some tiresome MCU themes (fathers & sons; dealing with power) but overall it delivers on what you'd expect from an MCU film at this point. (Well, with less overt attempts at humor.) It also gives Wonder Woman a run for its money in terms of number of heroines on screen. Danai Gurira, Forest Whitaker, & Sterling K. Brown all also give great performances. SK Brown was phenomenal actually. He's in only two scenes, but they're pivotal. And his performance is just so pure and real.

Chadwick Boseman does a good enough job in the titular role; his T'challa is very diplomatic, contemplative, and understanding. But that danger and gravitas that the T'challa I know from the comics (Illuminati T'challa) just doesn't come across on screen for me. Now, someone might say that this Black Panther is lacking in those departments due to his newness in his position as king; however, I saw a much more fearsome and formidable Panther/T'challa in Civil War than I did in Black Panther. So I know the character and actor is capable of delivering on screen more than I saw in this film. And that's frustrating as a moviegoer and MCU fan. Bottom line is it's definitely worth seeing on the big screen.

I saw Annihilation last night. It was a total trip, and I was completely absorbed all the way through. I loved it.

a succulent Chinese meal lacuna's Avatar
    I saw it and loved it too. Too bad the people I saw it with thought it was too weird and slow. Guess I’ll never get to pick the movie again.

I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. There were a few scenes that I thought unnecessary, but overall it was a very captivating movie.

I also saw Annihilation and I'm still processing it. I'm a huge fan of the novel, but the movie--while fairly true to the book in spirit--is WAY different. Like, way way way way different. So that threw me for a loop. I kept waiting for a crucial plot point to pop up and it never did and I was like "wut" haha.

I was not sure the visuals were going to impress based on the trailers I saw; they seemed from quick glimpses to have that super-digital, high-end video game look that I HATE about a lot of modern movies' special effects. However, I was VERY impressed with how it looked on the big screen. If anything, I think it took the nightmarish-but-beautiful quality conveyed in the books and did the book one better, at least in this regard.

I was not particularly impressed with the cast, and I say that as a fan of both Natalie and Jennifer Jason Leigh. Alex Garland got such incredible performances out of Alicia Vikander, Domhnall Gleeson, and Oscar Isaac in Ex Machina. This movie had the potential to create that same sort of intimate, claustrophobic chemistry and just...didn't, except for some noteworthy scenes here and there.

Also...and I don't remember this bothering me about the book, but maybe it should have...why on Earth would they go into Area X without biocontainment suits? Wouldn't contagion be the first worry on your mind if you were trying to perform reconnaissance in this situation?
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Last weekend couch surfing:

Donnie Darko and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Both great movies that totally hold up IMO.

Over the last week or so:

Black Panther - Great addition to the Marvel line up. I found T'Challa kinda insufferable in Civil War but the character was much more likable here.

The Shape of Water - It was fine. Handsomely made, but it didn't grab me. I think one of my problems with it was that the creature didn't have enough of a personality to make me engaged in the relationship between him and Elisa. Michael Shannon was great.

I, Tonya - Fantastic perfomances and an engaging story. I really liked it! The skating scenes were amazing. Margot Robbie and Allison Janney have deservedly been heaped with praise, but I also really liked Sebastian Stan in it. He is so overlooked as a fantastic actor. I still remember him as one of the best things in the great but sadly short lived tv-show "Kings" about 10 years ago.

Darkest Hour - Competently made but oh so stuffy and dramatically inert. I suppose Gary Oldman did a fine job, but the fact that he's the front runner for the Best Actor Oscar is ridiculous.

Phantom Thread - I loved this until the last 10 minutes which were a bit "wtf" for me. An incredibly uncomfortable watch though, found myself sort of wishing I could look away at times. Reynolds Woodcock is a great character but calling him "difficult" doesn't even begin to describe it.

Lady Bird - My expectations were way too high for this one. I liked it a lot, but I didn't love it. I had read a lot of people talking about how relatable it is (even if you're not a girl), but even though I'm exactly the same age a the character (born in 1985) I thought it was pretty specific and for me not very close to home at all. Saoirse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf were very good.

The Florida Project - A lovely little film. The kids were amazing considering their ages. I must confess though that often find these kinds of movies a little meandering. I found that my attention wandered now and then.

Totally with you @Andreas re: I, Tonya and Lady Bird. Regarding TSOW, I wasn't super moved by it either, but the art direction and very specific world they created was quite stunning I thought, and I really love Sally Hawkins - that's an amazing performance. I do agree though on the whole it was somewhat underwhelming.

Ummm, I just saw mother!. Uhhhhh.....

I'm sure the mother character's passivity was a deliberate artistic choice, but maybe not an entirely successful one. It's seem pretty clear she is a personification of the earth, who remains mostly silent as she is exploited and degraded by her children... that feels directionally correct to me, but the execution of it does give pause. I think what I appreciate about the movie is that while it could be so incredibly pretentious, it didn't come off that way. It is very bold. While I would never want to watch it again -watching this movie is one miserable fucking experience- I hope it opens the door for movies to explore bigger ideas in such an explicit way.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I, Tonya... Margot Robbie is superb in this. Loved it.

^True dat. She absolutely lights up the screen in every single scene she appears in.

I, Tonya is an outrageously entertaining movie. It is so well done in every respect, so creative, so fun to watch, so absorbing, so fun to look at. The acting is incredible, it is well paced, the cinematography is fantastic... it really is a gem.

I don't know if it's okay to be entertained by this story though, which creates a bit of a dilemma, but I'm willing to overlook it because I was so completely entertained.

Some of my friends feel the movie has an agenda and went too easy on Tonya Harding, in order to promote empathy for her. I didn't really see it that way. (I think they were somewhat cheeky about the fact that they were telling the story explicitly from her point of view and recreating her version of the events - the clue is in the movie's title.) But I think you can make a valid case for that argument.

My last stray observation: I feel like it's not getting the acknowledgment it deserves for how well music was used throughout the film to boost the storytelling. "The Passenger" (Siouxsie Sioux) booming over the credits is brilliant. They must have paid a fortune in music licensing fees. "The Chain" - Fleetwood Mac? "Gloria" by Laura Branigan, one of the most recognizable songs from the early 80s? "Barracuda" by Heart? Cliff Richard, Bad Company, Dire Straits? "Gone Daddy Gone" is one of the best songs of all time. I thought all the music was paired perfectly with the material and sequencing of the movie, to a noteworthy degree. I feel like I rarely notice that in a movie.

^Tonya was always punished for skating to contemporary pieces. Many judges would talk to her after an event and ask what on Earth she was thinking going out there and skating to ZZ Top, etc? I love that the film was so unexpected and done on it's own terms. That's what Tonya's life story has always been.
    Last edited by Volta; 03-06-2018 at 04:06 AM.

Black Panther - Second time with a couple friends. Have any of you noticed people doing that Wakanda sign across their chests?
    "It's not magic. It's technology!"

What you thought, I was through with you, that ain't how I do
    Bish I'm lit, you know how I do, you know how I get.

Hannah, starring Charlotte Rampling