Page 523 of 527 FirstFirst ... 23423473513521522523524525 ... LastLast
Results 7,831 to 7,845 of 7901

Thread: What was the last movie you watched?

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Frost/Nixon.

I needed some cheering up, a glimmer of hope for eventual comeuppance. It's an excellent move with stunning performances regardless of its relevance to today.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Frost/Nixon.

I needed some cheering up, a glimmer of hope for eventual comeuppance.
    What a great idea!

Bloop Bloop! Lord Rask of Trevdale's Avatar
    I saw mother!. It's been two days and I'm still not sure if I liked it or not. Heavy-handed for sure, but there's something exciting about it.

(I actually started this yesterday, but I thought my cell phone had eaten it. But here it is, courtesy of the autosave!)

mother!

Of all the stories going around about this movie, this one is my favorite. After Jennifer Lawrence saw the completed film for the first time, she pulled Darren Aronofsky off to the side and said, "What have we DONE? We've gone too far!" It sounds apocryphal -- until you actually see what they've done.

Because it is bugfuck crazy. You've never seen a film like this, and you probably never will again. It just GOES THERE, over and over and over. If you think you know what's coming next, you're wrong. It's a pitch-black roller coaster headed straight into Hell. And the amazing thing is that, when it's all over, it actually makes sense.

I don't want to say much more. It's best to go in as unspoiled as possible. But be forewarned: it is VERY tough going, especially the last half hour. Trigger warning, big time. Also be advised that a lot of people really hate this movie, so no guarantees. But I think it works. I don't love it as much as I love Black Swan, but I liked it a lot. And i think the reason it's exciting is exactly that it DOES go too far. If this sounds like something you want to see, see it. But hurry to the theater, because it's tanking like woah.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    ^Critics love it but audience polling has rated it an F score. That's from CinemaScore which is a marketing firm that specializes in this before movies are put out in wide release.
    To put that in perspective.. movies that get a C and D score are said to be movies that should never have been released. An F score indicates that the movie should never have been made in the first place. Only 8 other films got a total F score:
    1. Killing Them Softly (78%)
    2. Solaris (65%)
    3. Bug (61%)
    4. Wolf Creek (53%)
    5. Darkness (4%)
    6. The Box (45%)
    7. Silent House (41%)
    8. The Devil Inside (7%)

Critics love it. People hate it.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

I've seen some news items that are calling mother! "the worst film of 2017", which is hilariously and provably wrong. The Emoji Movie is obviously the worst movie of 2017 because a film like that doesn't fucking try. mother! on the other hand, tries. It tries really, really hard to say something and be something and make you feel something. And I don't care what anyone says, that's the definition of art.
    This spoilered review is circulating for those who are curious about the film. It gives it a great review but says something like "For people thinking they're going to see a horror movie with JLaw in it..." might be why people are walking out and hating on the film. Because it is not that kind of movie.

I liked it, and I'm not a critic. I'm a people.

Actually, what I've seen is that an F can mean one of two things: the movie blew donkeys, or it was poorly marketed. The marketing for mother! was ATROCIOUS. I mean, as I said, this movie was weird as fuck. So let's open it in 2K theaters after pretending it's a standard thriller! Because JENNIFER LAWRENCE!!!

Um. No. Black Swan opened in 18 theaters and let audiences figure out what it was. It actually was a big hit. And even though mother! was exponentially weirder, Black Swan was still pretty damned weird. But they marketed it properly, so it was a hit. I'm not saying mother! could ever have been a hit. But it didn't have to eat gravel.

Oh, and one other thing. This was actually supposed to open in October, but they moved it up one month, thereby putting it in perfect position to be mowed down by It.

Barack Hussein Obama

Oh, and Bug was a very good movie. So fuck CinemaScore.

Barack Hussein Obama

Arronfsky has had this issue before. The Fountain had a pretty ... hmmm.. I'd say it was promoted as best it could be and it had the full Wide release instead of starting small and building up. The trailer was damn impressive if you ask me. And it was a massive flop at the box office.
    I love that movie so much. I find it to be one of the most ascetically beautiful films to ever be made. And the score.. gorgeous as ever.

What was Mother!'s score like?

Yea, I say fuck off to CinemaScore, too. But I guess they serve their purpose to the bigger studios most of the time.

And Steve, yes, you're a people but you're also a damn good reviewer/critic. You're as good as any of the journalists at GoldDerby.
    Last edited by Volta; 09-18-2017 at 09:13 AM.

^I really can't remember if it even had a score?

I'm a little torn about Mother. But it's worth seeing, and I love when these movies come along that have everyone talking.

Right. No score, no music at all except Patti Smith singing "The End of the World", which I loved. (For one thing, I just really like that song.) But there was a very intricate sound design theater they put a lot of work into.

I'll respond to the rest of the spoiler later.

Barack Hussein Obama