Page 528 of 528 FirstFirst ... 28428478518526527528
Results 7,906 to 7,918 of 7918

Thread: What was the last movie you watched?

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    Just watched Split. Why do people think that is such an amazing movie? I thought it was okay, but not really very suspenseful and it never scared me. I came away going, meh.
    I didn't like it much at all. It just felt too gimmicky and self-indulgent. Yes, James McAvoy plays a whole bunch of goofy personalities, but beyond that, there's no substance. And the climactic scene is ridiculous and silly. The surprise bonus at the very end felt tacked on and desperate. Meh indeed.

The last movie I saw was Throughbreds and it also features Anya Taylor-Joy (plus Olivia Cooke). It's a good, minimalist film, but one poster for it makes it seem like it'll be high energy and quirky, and it most certainly is not! This is one of those movies where I feel like I can't talk about the plot, since the whole thing can be (and has been) summarized in two sentences. But if you like dark, sardonic humor, then this is a good one.

a succulent Chinese meal lacuna's Avatar
    I saw Solo this weekend too and was pleasantly surprised. Alden did a pretty great job with all that pressure. Is he exactly like Harrison Ford? No, but I liked his performance. Donald was great, Emilia was... Emilia (sorry I really don’t think she’s a good actor). The back and forth between Han and Chewie was great. It was a fun romp.

I totally agree about the visuals though. I couldn’t see a damn thing it was so dark and flat. I found myself squinting trying to make out faces and feeling relieved when they had a scene outside in sunlight. That’s my one big nitpick. Anyone see it in 3D? Does that make a difference?

I also want to see Thoroughbreds. I’m a dark comedy guy. Plus, Anya Taylor-Joy is kind of amazing. And plus, this will be the.last film released to feature Anton Yelchin.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

streak his blood across my beak PoorMatty's Avatar
    I saw Hereditary last night, and oh boy, that movie will stay with you. I've been thinking about it all day long. Think The Babadook meets Rosemary's Baby with a dash of The Witch and you've got the general idea, but it's also something completely original. There were some images that the camera lingers on for a long time that made me physically shiver they were so creepy, and on the drive home, I kept checking the back seat of my car. Not to mention, I'll never have the same reaction to hearing someone click their tongue. This movie feels like the culmination of the whole arthouse horror renaissance going on right now. 100% recommend it to anybody who likes slow burn, fucked up horror that doesn't rely on jump scares.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Alex Strangelove via Netflix. It's so so good!
    This is the R-rated version of Love, Simon (for me) and is incredibly hilarious. The comedy is so on point. All the actors deliver. I'm just so happy there are more and more films like this for high school kids... and sappy adults.

And the soundtrack on this is almost half it's success. Mint Julep's version of "The Promise" at the end and the Dusty Springfield song in the car with Alex and Eliot.
    Miss Vanjieeee. Miss Vanjiee. ..Miss Van..

Hereditary

Is it good? Yes. Toni acts her ass off, the story is a giant puzzle and encourages a second viewing to pick up on things you missed that turned to be a clue as to what's happening.
    Is it really that scary? Welllllll. No. I mean, there are some shocking (and graphic) moments and a few 'oh, did you see that in the background' moments. But it's more scary like The Witch or Rosemary's Baby was scary: it's creepy, uncomfortable at times and very eerie and the actual terror comes from within the characters. But I don't think you'll lose a night's sleep over it.

And there lies my biggest issue with this thing: they are marketing it as OMGSOSCARY!!!! with stories in the news of people leave the theatre screaming or crying. HEll, there was even a special emergency line people could call if it all became too much. I mean, really??? It paints a completely false picture of what this is, which is quite slowly building art-house-horrormovie and not straightforward at all.
    Our cinema was packed last night, with (no offense) Marvel-movie crowd waiting for a proper scary jump-out-of-your-seat movie, and the majority simply lost patience halfway through which made them pull out cell phones, start muttering how boring it is etc etc. Not pleasant for the other part who were enjoying it but I can completely understand they felt sort of robbed.

So, go watch it, but not in the weekend when it's date-night
    post28!

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VampireTampon View Post
    I didn't like it much at all. It just felt too gimmicky and self-indulgent. Yes, James McAvoy plays a whole bunch of goofy personalities, but beyond that, there's no substance. And the climactic scene is ridiculous and silly. The surprise bonus at the very end felt tacked on and desperate. Meh indeed.

The last movie I saw was Throughbreds and it also features Anya Taylor-Joy (plus Olivia Cooke). It's a good, minimalist film, but one poster for it makes it seem like it'll be high energy and quirky, and it most certainly is not! This is one of those movies where I feel like I can't talk about the plot, since the whole thing can be (and has been) summarized in two sentences. But if you like dark, sardonic humor, then this is a good one.
    Completely agree with you about Split - spot on!

I liked Thoroughbreds quite a bit. Not quite as much as I wanted to (I thought it might be Heathers level, but alas, it did not quite reach that bar), but one thing I absolutely loved was the look of the film. The other? The actresses were amazing. So was the step dad.

Hotel Artemis

Completely surprised by this. Went in not expecting much other than a probably fine performance by Jodie Foster and was really, really impressed by how strong the script was. I thought the characters were really interesting and they each had their own quirks which I think were highlighted well. Also have to give kudos to the art direction and production design. You really felt you were in this private, VIP hospital for prisoners. I definitely recommend!! Dave Bautista and Sterling K. Brown also give great performances.

Hereditary

I'm still stunned. What a BRILLIANT film! A movie hasn't gotten under my skin like that in a long, long time.

Saw Oceans 8, Hereditary and Heart Beats Loud this weekend; Oceans and Heart were both a solid good time, and a good tonal counterbalance to Hereditary, which I loved but shouldn't have watched right before bedtime!

I wanted to get out of my house asap, so I agreed to watch Pacific Rim: Uprising with my friend. We both anticipated it to be bad, but I didn't know it would be so torturous. I don't even feel like discussing it.

On Saturday I saw Upgrade for $4.50 because Hereditary isn't playing back here. Fortunately, it was really damn good!!! It's one of those films that might sound boring on paper, but there's more to it than the generic setup. Simply put, everything in this movie was executed perfectly. The action is a lot of fun and the fight scenes feel visceral and exciting in a way you'll never see in one of those Marvel superhero films. I was also pleasantly surprised to see the visuals and the audio were more stylish than I anticipated. Another achievement is that there's a very seamless mix of genres here. There's action, sci-fi, some gore, some laughs and maybe a dash of romance. Here, you won't find any of the shitty punching up that taints almost every film in the MCU. This movie doesn't overstay its welcome, the pacing is spot on and it also nails the ending. So yes, check this one out!

Call me by your name

Finally. I'm usually not a fan of the gay romance genre since they basically all follow the same plotline: 2 boys or men meet under certain circumstances that define the movie (here, a summer in Italy in the 80's), dance around eachother for a while, explore sexuality and fall in love and than 9 times out of 10 one of them leaves (be it by circumstances, choice, death, forced marriage or whatever). My husband loves these movies and has a lot of them on dvd and I've basically grown off of them since they bring nothing new to the table.

BUT

This was a gorgeous piece of cinematography, amazing dialogue and a wonderful cast. So I liked it.
    And then the father starts that freaking monologue at the end and I made go from like to love.
    Damn, that was a powerful scene.
    post28!

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Hereditary....

I think I just got PTSD again. Someone give me a Xanax. No really that was UPSETTING. Even the non-supernatural stuff like THAT freak accident and subsequent body discovery, the sleepwalking scenes, and every revelation of fucked up family history.... it was disturbing to me on a personal level. Give Toni Collette all the awards, but save some for Milly Shapiro and especially Alex Wolff too. Those were exceptional performances for such young actors.

BTW I don't know why people pay attention to the marketing of horror movies anymore, you should know by now they are trying to pull in lowest-common denominator audiences that watch shit like Transformers and Paranormal Activity.
    Last edited by Octopussy; 06-19-2018 at 03:10 AM.