Page 533 of 536 FirstFirst ... 33433483523531532533534535 ... LastLast
Results 7,981 to 7,995 of 8033

Thread: What was the last movie you watched? (now with reviews)

Suspiria (2018)

I really, really loved it. One of the best "witch movies" I've ever seen. The ending completely turned the original on its head, but I'm intrigued by the choices made there and I really want to see it again to be able to wrap my head more around what I saw. I wanted the "Volk" sequence to go on forever. Talk about enthralling.

I saw Beautiful Boy. It was good, but I don't feel it adds anything new to movies we already have about drugs or their loved ones, etc. Chalamet, as expected, was fantastic.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    ^I'm not sure if I'm going to see Beautiful Boy or Boy Erased until they come out on DVD. I'm already feeling a little lousy with seasonal blues and that's some really tough stuff to sit in a theater with.

Bohemian Rhapsody Now, this movie was getting raves with the people at GoldDerby and Collider. People saying the film might beat out A Star is Born since both are competing in Drama at the Golden Globes instead of in musical/comedy. Umm. I didn't really think it was all that, though.

Heights 2005 - Opportunity buy of this DVD at a Peddlers Mall for 79cents. This movie isn't perfect but definitely watchable especially if you're a Glenn Close fan.
    Last edited by Volta; 11-04-2018 at 03:56 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Boy Erased - I didn't much care for it. I thought I was gonna cry at this movie going in, but it was pretty tepid and dull. Wonderful acting from Nicole Kidman but that's to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    Bohemian Rhapsody Now, this movie was getting raves with the people at GoldDerby and Collider. People saying the film might beat out A Star is Born since both are competing in Drama at the Golden Globes instead of in musical/comedy.
    It's getting very mediocre reviews and is not being considered a major contender for awards (although Malek could get a nod).

I've seen a bunch of films this last month or so!:

First Reformed--I saw this in a flight which was maybe not the best format for such a film lol. It's quite arresting, though. Hawke was great. I probably admired it more than I loved it. Glad I saw it, but it didn't stay with me that much afterwards.

Eighth Grade--I also saw this on a flight and really enjoyed it. Very charming and likable.

A Star is Born--Great beginning, and then it fizzled out a bit for me. After she becomes a star, it feels a little less compelling and believable. Cooper was EXCEPTIONAL, though. I was always kind of neutral on him, but I thought he was incredibly moving in this. For me, Gaga was really winning in the first stretch and electric in several of the musical numbers, but less believable as the film went on. Overall I liked the film, but didn't love it.

Wildlife--A small scale, well-observed film with some excellent performances. The main selling point is Carey Mulligan, and she's fantastic here. She gets to play a very complicated character who I imagine several viewers will find unsympathetic. Jake Gyllenhaal has more of a supporting role, but he's also good.

Can You Ever Forgive Me?--I loved this. Completely absorbing and wonderful. Grant and McCarthy are fabulous here. I've always liked McCarthy but I'm not a superfan or anything--anyway, she's PERFECT in this. Funny (of course), fully committed to the character, and complete knockout in the more dramatic scenes. I read somewhere that there's a sense that this movie is too subdued to attract much attention, and I completely disagree. It's a juicy and compelling story and the film has a lot of delightfully prickly humor. I hope people get to see this--it's a total winner in my book.

Suspiria--Disclaimer: I have not seen the original. It's definitely got its WTF moments, but I have to say that I really dug it. It definitely stayed with me, and it's quite haunting and disturbing in spots. I also found myself wondering how everything was connected while I was watching it--it was a neat little puzzle of a film. Also, Tilda Swinton is AMAZING.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Bohemian Rhapsody - there's very little story in the movie, and like, no stakes. I don't know... it just didn't move me or engage me. It also suffers from its release date proximity to A Star Is Born, which did a much better job handling music performance scenes. The lead actor, however, is truly remarkable as Freddie Mercury...

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post
    It's getting very mediocre reviews and is not being considered a major contender for awards (although Malek could get a nod).

I've seen a bunch of films this last month or so!:

First Reformed--I saw this in a flight which was maybe not the best format for such a film lol. It's quite arresting, though. Hawke was great. I probably admired it more than I loved it. Glad I saw it, but it didn't stay with me that much afterwards.

Eighth Grade--I also saw this on a flight and really enjoyed it. Very charming and likable.

A Star is Born--Great beginning, and then it fizzled out a bit for me. After she becomes a star, it feels a little less compelling and believable. Cooper was EXCEPTIONAL, though. I was always kind of neutral on him, but I thought he was incredibly moving in this. For me, Gaga was really winning in the first stretch and electric in several of the musical numbers, but less believable as the film went on. Overall I liked the film, but didn't love it.

Wildlife--A small scale, well-observed film with some excellent performances. The main selling point is Carey Mulligan, and she's fantastic here. She gets to play a very complicated character who I imagine several viewers will find unsympathetic. Jake Gyllenhaal has more of a supporting role, but he's also good.

Can You Ever Forgive Me?--I loved this. Completely absorbing and wonderful. Grant and McCarthy are fabulous here. I've always liked McCarthy but I'm not a superfan or anything--anyway, she's PERFECT in this. Funny (of course), fully committed to the character, and complete knockout in the more dramatic scenes. I read somewhere that there's a sense that this movie is too subdued to attract much attention, and I completely disagree. It's a juicy and compelling story and the film has a lot of delightfully prickly humor. I hope people get to see this--it's a total winner in my book.

Suspiria--Disclaimer: I have not seen the original. It's definitely got its WTF moments, but I have to say that I really dug it. It definitely stayed with me, and it's quite haunting and disturbing in spots. I also found myself wondering how everything was connected while I was watching it--it was a neat little puzzle of a film. Also, Tilda Swinton is AMAZING.
    I can't wait to see Can You Ever Forgive Me?

You have watched quite a lot of movies that will be in awards contention. I want to see The Favorite sooooo badly. If I can see the Favorite and Green Book over Thanksgiving weekend I will be very thankful indeed.

Eighth Grade isn't a movie that looks like it would interest me.. as well as First Reformed and BlackKKKlansman but they'll all be on DVD soon, I think Eighth Grade already is.. and I'll rent them if they start getting some critics awards.
    Last edited by Volta; 11-08-2018 at 01:28 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    Bohemian Rhapsody - there's very little story in the movie, and like, no stakes. I don't know... it just didn't move me or engage me. It also suffers from its release date proximity to A Star Is Born, which did a much better job handling music performance scenes. The lead actor, however, is truly remarkable as Freddie Mercury...
    I looked it up on IMDB and it was directed by Bryan Singer and written by Anthony McCarten. This movie should have WOWed with that team.

I watched REELZ half dramatized/half documentary on Freddie Mercury (They also did a separate Queen DramDoc) and it was so good. There is so much about Freddie Mercury that should have been in the movie, and easily could have been inserted in that runtime. Oh well.
    Last edited by Volta; 11-08-2018 at 01:38 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Arrival. Such an excellent sci-fi movie. It was an instant classic for me. Would be hard to choose a favorite between Arrival and The Andromeda Strain (from the early 70s). I love them both.

The Girl in the Spider's Web. I went in expecting it to suck after reading some lukewarm reviews. The film's only major misstep is that it reimagines Lisbeth as a superheroine. While she's always been extremely capable, she's pretty much invulnerable here, performing the most outlandish feats without breaking a sweat, as opposed to the dangerous but still human criminal she has been portrayed as in past instalments. Still, it's an incredibly fun - and stylish - popcorn movie, with current references, a stellar cast (LaKeith Stanfield needs to get in my bed, like, yesterday) and a really effective Big Bad. Definitely worth a go for those on the fence.

Claire Foy, right? I hope this does well at the box office.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

So were the actors who played the rest of the band: they had a phenomenal resemblance in every way, especially their speaking voices. It was like a Behind the Music special though. It should have been as daring and flamboyant as Freddie was himself, but his story was bowdlerized. My younger friends who consider Freddie a gay icon are terribly disappointed by it, but I never expected anything better. Freddie's parents loved him very much, but they were devout Zoroastrians: they were taught that homosexuality is akin to demon worship. He lied about his true nature all the time, mainly because he didn't want to have a confrontation with them. Brian May was good friends with Freddie's mother, so there's no way he would have agreed to an honest portrayal. Such a shame.

I actually kinda enjoyed it though, mainly because I had no expectations. It was a mix of so-bad-it's-funny-kitsch and some truly spectacular (IMO) performances.

I wrote out a long post about all the inaccuracies, and then I found an article that was far more coherent, so I'll just post a link to it. Warning to those who haven't seen it yet: don't click on it if you don't want to see spoilers.

https://mashable.com/article/bohemia.../#jxDHfljUNaqC

Arrival. Such an excellent sci-fi movie. It was an instant classic for me. Would be hard to choose a favorite between Arrival and The Andromeda Strain (from the early 70s). I love them both.
    Arrival is such a great movie. A review stated it's a sci-fi film for those who don't like the genre. I would agree! I am happy that this movie exists. I cried. I jumped. I soul searched. It's just such an amazing film!
    Last edited by entropy; 11-12-2018 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Dude, I suck at grammar! :/

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    I wrote out a long post about all the inaccuracies, and then I found an article that was far more coherent, so I'll just post a link to it. Warning to those who haven't seen it yet: don't click on it if you don't want to see spoilers.

Thanks for sharing @Nancy! That's very interesting! I must admit I kind of enjoyed the movie as well, and for the same reason. I came into it with absolutely terrible expectations, having read some of the negative buzz right beforehand. And it's definitely not awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    So were the actors who played the rest of the band: they had a phenomenal resemblance in every way, especially their speaking voices. It was like a Behind the Music special though. It should have been as daring and flamboyant as Freddie was himself, but his story was bowdlerized. My younger friends who consider Freddie a gay icon are terribly disappointed by it, but I never expected anything better. Freddie's parents loved him very much, but they were devout Zoroastrians: they were taught that homosexuality is akin to demon worship. He lied about his true nature all the time, mainly because he didn't want to have a confrontation with them. Brian May was good friends with Freddie's mother, so there's no way he would have agreed to an honest portrayal. Such a shame.

I actually kinda enjoyed it though, mainly because I had no expectations. It was a mix of so-bad-it's-funny-kitsch and some truly spectacular (IMO) performances.

Someone from Collider said there is another Freddie Mercury script that Sasha Baron Cohen has the rights to so this may not be the only Mercury/Queen movie that is ever made.
    I just thought it was way way way too formulaic. And I did go in with very high expectations..
    The ending is so feel good, tho, I understand people who loved it and those who were kinda like.. errrrm.

I just wish the script was as good as the lead actor.
    Another thing I found out from Collider.. (they're like my new GoldDerby) is that this movie had to have a second director brought on under very difficult circumstances with Bryan Singer and a lot of bad blood all over the place which is where some of the issues I had with the movie make sense, now. Pretty much the first half and the second half are directed by two different people.
    So I have to give props that this movie even made it to the screen. Knowing all the difficulty they had making it makes me actually think better of it. The film is not trash or even close to bad.
    It's just not truly great. And this is looking like a pretty good year for the box office and the movies that are going to be in award contention. I think of Green Book and Widows and the money this film and A Star is Born have already made. All popular films that are going to get rewarded by critic groups, too. I'm sure Roma is going to bring in huge numbers on NEtflix even tho they never release their numbers.
    It's an exciting year in film. And I didn't think it was going to be. SURPRISE.
    Last edited by Volta; 11-13-2018 at 02:07 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.