Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: tUnE-yArDs

My favorite track is "Time of Dark." I'm not really crazy about the album as a whole, though.

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    This new album is less immediate than w h o k i l l, but I think I love it. It'll take a while to digest. Somehow, based on Water Fountain and the visual style she's rocking lately, I expected this album to be a more mainstream affair, but it's really a lot more cacophonous and difficult. Like, on old songs ("My Country" or "Es-so", say) the rhythms were strong but simpler, and there were fewer melodies, whereas on a lot of the tracks on nikki nack the rhytms are just so complex and the melodies are just so numerous, and they are constantly weaving in and out and around each other. It's kind of dizzying, but I get the sense that once I've learned the terrain I'll really enjoy it.

Anyway. Hearing her bellow "I COME FROM THE LAND OF SLAVES / LET'S GO REDSKINS, LET'S GO BRAVES" for the first time was worth the price of admission alone.

GOTTA SAY, incessant youtube advertising has severely dampened my estimation of "Water Fountain". I still like the album a good bit but it's lost one of its main draws.

She was looking out the window Snow White's Avatar
    This album is slowly growing on me... It's much more difficult to enter than her others.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Michael View Post
    This new album is less immediate than w h o k i l l, but I think I love it. It'll take a while to digest. Somehow, based on Water Fountain and the visual style she's rocking lately, I expected this album to be a more mainstream affair, but it's really a lot more cacophonous and difficult. Like, on old songs ("My Country" or "Es-so", say) the rhythms were strong but simpler, and there were fewer melodies, whereas on a lot of the tracks on nikki nack the rhytms are just so complex and the melodies are just so numerous, and they are constantly weaving in and out and around each other. It's kind of dizzying, but I get the sense that once I've learned the terrain I'll really enjoy it.

Anyway. Hearing her bellow "I COME FROM THE LAND OF SLAVES / LET'S GO REDSKINS, LET'S GO BRAVES" for the first time was worth the price of admission alone.

I agree with your review, Nikki Nack sounds like a celebration of life with an ever greater rhythmic and melodic complexity than bird-brains or who-kill. I especially like "Time of Dark", "Manchild", "Real Thing", "Wait for a Minute", and "Water Fountain".

Anyone planning on seeing Merill and gang this tour? I first saw her open for Goldfrapp on the Head First tour.

Not that I need to constantly update you all as I learn to love this album. But it finally clicked. And I love it. Ha. So dense!

Also, yes, seeing her at a festival in a few months. Getting very excited now.

KEXP session.

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

The album has grown on me as a result of the live clips I've seen! )

Quote Originally Posted by beanstew View Post
    KEXP session.

How fun to see how all of the parts are created! Loved that.

I'm late to this party but have been listening to her albums a lot on Spotify the last few weeks and am loving what I'm hearing. Need to get CDs now!

Quote Originally Posted by baroquepopfan View Post
    Sounding promising, and hopefully a worthy follow up to w h o k i l l. It's great to hear something loud and lively, but with a bit of sophistication and cleverness too. I'm pretty sure this album will live in my car's CD player this summer, culminating with seeing her at the End of the Road festival at the end of August.
    See you there!
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

You can watch tUnE-yArDs concert on NPR. The setlist:

01 Hey Life
    02 Gangsta
    03 Sink-O
    04 Real Thing
    05 Powa
    06 Time of Dark
    07 Wait for a Minute
    08 Stop That Man
    09 Bizness
    10 Water Fountain
    11 Manchild
    12 Fiya

Tune-Yards - Water Fountain at Glastonbury 2014

Full set on iPlayer. (Folks outside UK will need a proxy/vpn)

Can't wait to see her at EOTR!

Icon15

I saw them for the first time at the End of the Road festival last weekend and they were so, so good! What a brilliant lively, exciting and above all fun show!

I took a few photos.

more!

And did a bit of videoing:

tUnE-yArDs - Real Thing (Woods Stage, End of the Road 2014)

tUnE-yArDs - Water Fountain (Woods Stage, End of the Road 2014)

tUnE-yArDs - Bizness (Woods Stage, End of the Road 2014)

Some of Lucius were watching from the side of the stage.

What a great looking set! Glad you had fun.