Page 190 of 190 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190
Results 2,836 to 2,843 of 2843

Thread: Unrepentant Geraldines: your reviews and impressions

I listened again today on repeat. I do not understand the hate for "the uh - thuh America" at the beginning of the song, when Tori sings "Fayla to respond - but did you listen" in some bizarre Martian language - but everyone loves Bouncing Off Clouds. America is so beautiful IMO...
    Robbing the muse...

I don't know. It should be lovely, but hearing her sing the line "takes herself to night school to understand the law" in a voice that could be used for singing a child to sleep just irks me. I don't know what approach would've worked better. I guess, for me, less cooing and more straightforward vocals for such a straightforward line would've worked better. I LOVE the vocals in the chorus ( AND the bridge) but those verses just annoy me. She sounds so "sexy" , for lack of a better term, and she's singing about community college! Haha. Don't get me wrong. I don't skip it because I can wait through that all day for that beautiful chorus. The ones I skip are TL ( another failed genre experiment imo), Wild Way ( it's just bleh for me), Wedding Day ( I hate that guitar at the end of the verse lines--- the " doin do do" part if that makes sense AT ALL lol and the prechorus is way too precious) and sometimes, GRP.

But Weatherman is an effing classic and worth the price of the album alone. If there is a song that good on NI, I'll be satisfied. I love Maids, UG ( I so wish Vicar's Wife was its own song), 16 Shades ( the chorus is great--the melody and the way she sings "if the clocks are black"), RD and IB.

Actually, on the chorus of 16 Shades, has anyone else noticed that the way it all fits together almost sounds/feels like time is being slowed down? I ALWAYS think of the Twilight Zone there. To me it sounds like this black hole absorbing everything around it. It's very eerie to me, like things are in slow-motion.

Another question: has anyone ever taken a guess as to why the painting inspired the song 16 Shades? I look and look and all I see is a still life with a black clock. I'm so curious as to how it got her onto the topic of aging.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

'America' hit me like a ton of bricks the morning after the US election. :-( I love that line 'those untouched by clairvoyance' - the future being decided by those unable to grasp how their choices might play out in the future.

I still love the majority of this album. Weatherman and Oysters remain up there with her best work for me, those songs are beloved. I6 Shades of Blue and the title track are still favourites, Wild Way still makes me cry. :-D The album has held up well IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Another question: has anyone ever taken a guess as to why the painting inspired the song 16 Shades? I look and look and all I see is a still life with a black clock. I'm so curious as to how it got her onto the topic of aging.
    Still life is a genre in painting that symbolizes the transient nature of life. I guess the the black clock in the painting refers to the passage of time and mortality and could be what inspired the song's subject matter.

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    Maybe because a still life captures a moment in time but no moment ever lasts. Plus, she was real into the clock having no hands.

Oh I forgot it has no hands! And berke, thanks for that info. I never thought about the genre in that way. Is that the actual definition that you'd get in art school?
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

idk I just think the lyrics in the America are SO clumsy/on the nose, especially when you stack them up against some of the other lyrical work on UG which is still the best overall since Scarlet.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Oh I forgot it has no hands! And berke, thanks for that info. I never thought about the genre in that way. Is that the actual definition that you'd get in art school?
    No problem! Well still life is a lare genre and while you can't really say that about each still life painting, the genre has sub-genres like ''vanitas'' for instance which show skulls, fading flowers, rotting fruit. That is a more direct symbolism for passage of time. In the Cezanne painting the clock stands in as a symbol for the passage of time and can definitely be read like that.