Page 193 of 193 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193
Results 2,881 to 2,886 of 2886

Thread: Unrepentant Geraldines: your reviews and impressions

I didn't mean connect to the song personally. Just the visceral connection like you are pointing out to songs like Spark where you feel the emotional.

I don't think I need to personally connect to the content of a song to love it. In fact, I think it's more often than not the instrumental and vocal delivery that manage to move me the most. Take Selkie for example, the piano melody literally warms my heart, it's a physical reaction. Along with the vocal delivery and way that Tori sings, "I've been waiting on, the love of my life to find...", it just moves me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonic View Post
    In regard to not bringing in the band to record this album with her, the Bullett interview speaks to that. It's definitely NOT because she's cheap! To me, it's strange that someone could arrive at that.

I have no problem with an album with programming to this extent, especially when it's the 14th album. We all know she's been playing with orchestras, etc. and collaborating on the musical. It's not like programming is going to be her new thing from here on out.

"What you did differently on Unrepentant Geraldines?
    How we did the arrangements was very different. It was with melodies. I was working out arrangements so the chord information on the piano and the guitar would hammer out first. How I would do a pop album in the past is that you bring in players and you work with players and you develop things and you jam. But there was no time to jam because I was just with Mark [Hawley, sound engineer and Amos’ husband]and Marcel [van Limbeek, mixer] working on other projects while also trying to work on the new album. When I had songs that I was collecting, I would record while we were dealing with other projects."
    I'd never seen this. Interesting to hear her talk about the UG recording process and lack of band being a result of not having time to "jam" with other musicians. I always thought this was just fan speculation.

So I guess it's fair to say this gave her a taste of it, and it clearly was a way of working that she enjoyed, hence the same technique for NI - despite not having to squeeze it between multiple projects.

I was bored and went back to the beginning of this thread to read our first impressions. It was very similar to the reactions to NI, in many ways. There was genuine love, surprise and excitement, tempered with fair critiques. It made me listen to the "band" songs again, because I really only listen to the solo piano tracks these days. While I still feel those piano songs are her best in YEARS, the "band" tracks on NI are much stronger. It's like you said, @hey j. Unrepentant Geraldines gave her a taste of a certain recording process and she refined it on Native Invader.

America, Wild Way, Wedding Day, Trouble's Lament... so much good stuff happening.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    America, Trouble's Lament, Oysters, Unrepentant Geraldines, Rose Dover are all total favourites for me. They're so good.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    I took a little break from Native Invader and decided to listen to this album a few times again after not hearing it for ages. I like it more than I did when it was first released - certain songs have grown on me. However; overall it's pretty much hit or miss for me, although it's certainly loads better than ADP and AAtS. My favorites are Weatherman, Trouble's Lament, The Vicar's Wife, and Forest of Glass. I also adore Promise. :P