Page 133 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 2726

Thread: Unrepentant Geraldines: your reviews and impressions

  1. #1981
    Senior Member Carey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Posts
    795
    Also: Venus IS without flaws because, like it or not, it is a cohesive piece of work with a very homogenous sound and a clear musical vision. It is not about the single songs, which you can like or not individually, but about the whole. Also, the mixing can be too electronic and messy here and there (I don't like the vocal effect on riot poof, I find it too heavy, and I think her voice is too drowned out on spring haze), but the overall result makes it up for all the little (inevitable) lacks.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

  2. #1982
    aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dallas/Fort Worthless
    Posts
    3,698
    Just because an album has a cohesive aesthetic does not make it without flaw. You yourself just stated there was messiness in the execution. Boom. There's a flaw! And it is, indeed, messy. The songwriting overall falls far short of Choirgirl. It was even more noticeable back then, as they were released so close together. Time has been kind to Venus, but it was an obvious step down from Choirgirl. I'm sure this is common knowledge.
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

  3. #1983
    Senior Member datura1452's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Andalucia, Spain.
    Posts
    426
    I definitely knew songs must not be kicked off the albums when I bought a new copy of Boys for pele and they had taken springtime off just to put professional widow remix there! I mean, come on industry, who do you think you are to kill the flow of a masterpiece like that? Boys for pele without springtime, that is crazy. Just because Professional Widow remix was popular at the time, you just cant do that with an art work. Its meant to be the way the artist wanted in its moment. Its like if you go now and paint in another colour a painting by picasso or add or take off some notes from a mozart classical piece. No, just no. Im still pissed off with what happened to me with that copy of boys for pele. I would like to throw it in the garbage.

    I dont even like to see the list of songs in the back. Im still trying to find a real Boys for Pele copy with all the songs in its place.
    Last edited by datura1452; 06-24-2014 at 06:33 AM.

  4. #1984
    Senior Member Carey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by The Seaward View Post
    Just because an album has a cohesive aesthetic does not make it without flaw. You yourself just stated there was messiness in the execution. Boom. There's a flaw! And it is, indeed, messy. The songwriting overall falls far short of Choirgirl. It was even more noticeable back then, as they were released so close together. Time has been kind to Venus, but it was an obvious step down from Choirgirl. I'm sure this is common knowledge.
    There is not such thing as common knowledge. Whatever you (or I ) think of an album, it is just what YOU think. There's no universal truth in here. I meant flawless in its sequencing. It's all about taste. When I was younger, I didn't care for venus and I thought choirgirl was her best album, now I never listen to choirgirl and I always listen to venus. Boom.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

  5. #1985
    Senior Member datura1452's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Andalucia, Spain.
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    There is not such thing as common knowledge. Whatever you (or I ) think of an album, it is just what YOU think. There's no universal truth in here. I meant flawless in its sequencing. It's all about taste. When I was younger, I didn't care for venus and I thought choirgirl was her best album, now I never listen to choirgirl and I always listen to venus. Boom.
    I do think there´s common consensus in some things.

  6. #1986
    Senior Member Venus_Envy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Way Up North, UK
    Posts
    1,631
    The fact that people are bashing "China", "Spark", "Northern Lad", "Marianne", "Tear In Your Hand" and "Muhammed My Friend" is making we want to smash things.

    Wrong. So wrong.

    Pele, Choirgirl, Venus, Scarlet = Perfect.
    ~just an underwater thing~

  7. #1987
    gotta get you back to you... Irene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    732
    I'm going to have nightmares now.

  8. #1988
    Senior Member AshaBlack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,374
    To me everything from LE - TVAB are just perfect! They're her masterpieces in my opinion and the peak of her career so far.

  9. #1989
    Senior Member skyscape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    318
    J'adore Marianne. That is all

  10. #1990
    Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I honestly - and am not trying to be bitchy I swear - do not understand how 2-3 songs are such an egregious sag. ADP and AATS are loaded with...well...they're loaded with songs that are just utter and complete shit. I mean, there are like 2-3 sags PER ALBUM.

    I think UG is a very good album that, if it were to lose anything, should lose GRP.
    I think it stands out to me more because of the quality of the other songs. Sagginess in AATS (the middle of that album also gets worse) doesn't have as much of a big effect because there's nothing amazing on either side.

  11. #1991
    Quote Originally Posted by Venus_Envy View Post
    Pele, Choirgirl, Venus, Scarlet = Perfect.
    I would say LE, UTP, PELE, Choirgirl = Perfect (with Venus and Scarlet near to that).

    The first 4 = Perfection because I would kick nothing off nor resequence. If anything, I'd add some of the b-sides but these albums are pretty much untouchable and shouldn't be tinkered with.

    Also, if "Northern Lad" didn't exist, it would create a tear in my universe.

  12. #1992
    Senior Member Myshuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    still orbiting
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by datura1452 View Post
    I definitely knew songs must not be kicked off the albums when I bought a new copy of Boys for pele and they had taken springtime off just to put professional widow remix there! I mean, come on industry, who do you think you are to kill the flow of a masterpiece like that? Boys for pele without springtime, that is crazy. Just because Professional Widow remix was popular at the time, you just cant do that with an art work. Its meant to be the way the artist wanted in its moment. Its like if you go now and paint in another colour a painting by picasso or add or take off some notes from a mozart classical piece. No, just no. Im still pissed off with what happened to me with that copy of boys for pele. I would like to throw it in the garbage.

    I dont even like to see the list of songs in the back. Im still trying to find a real Boys for Pele copy with all the songs in its place.
    Completely agree. It's a travesty what they have done to a legitimate masterpiece. It shows no respect at all.

    I recently purchased a CD version of it (coz I had it on tape, and it had worn out), and I was very careful to try and find a copy in its original state. Fortunately I did find one This was the one I ordered (Australian import, CD released in January 1996) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boys-Pele-Au...+boys+for+pele. Hopefully they'll still send that specific one out and not randomly whatever version they have. But, second hand they're only pennies anyway. (Oh, and Zoverstocks was the company I purchased from).
    Last edited by Myshuno; 06-24-2014 at 04:03 PM.
    "What use sorrow in an isle of ghosts?"

  13. #1993
    Senior Member datura1452's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Andalucia, Spain.
    Posts
    426
    ^^

    There´s a review in that link you gave that says this:

    "Extra Tracks" is not true - it's actually REPLACEMENT track. And it's the worst possible replacement. Some marketing fool thought that the remix version of Professional Widow should be added after this was a dance hit. It's totally at odds with the rest of the album. Worse still, they removed In the Springtime of His Voodoo to fit the PW remix on.
    This is a wonderful, 5-star album, but don't waste your money on this particular version of it. Get the real thing.


    The review is from 2003 so I dont know if applies now.

    I think still its pretty difficult to find a legitimate BFP copy. It sucks. I really want a new copy.
    Last edited by datura1452; 06-24-2014 at 04:10 PM.

  14. #1994
    By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Montepulciano, Italy
    Posts
    1,945
    Wait, do people really like Tear in your hand? I only know people who dislike it lol It has the most annoying riff ever written.
    Anyway, I have no knowledge of a "perfect album". Not from Tori or anyone else. My favourite records are all flawed and I like it, because perfection is boring.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

  15. #1995
    See that sweet Jesus! silver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,619
    I really like Tear in Your Hand (one of my favorites off LE actually lol). I did think it was originally a B-side when I got A Piano.


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •