Page 133 of 193 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 2886

Thread: Unrepentant Geraldines: your reviews and impressions

Quote Originally Posted by emanate View Post
    This, this, this. It's a bummer when a new release by an artist you like doesn't align with your tastes, but one of the wonderful things about music is that there's so much of it out there to enjoy instead of spending time with stuff that doesn't work for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlForPele View Post
    You're not alone. I've tried to get "into" this album and I just can't. I love Wild Way, Promise (surprisingly), 16 Shades of Blue, and the title track, and that's pretty much it. Oysters actually grates and annoys me, sad to say. I'm gonna try to listen to the album some more but I don't think it's going to click.
    You both are right. I deleted the album from my iPod. Sometimes that's the thing with Tori, too. Nothing immediately clicks, and then one day you put the record on and go, "Oh, I get it." Maybe that will happen, but for now taking your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by AshaBlack View Post
    I posted the forums results for their votes on the UG songs of most liked to least in the Top 5 UG songs thread. A couple of minor surprises.

EDIT: I may as well post them here too...

... this is what we have so far in order of most votes to least. In brackets I've put how many votes each song has:

1. Oysters (40)
    2. Weatherman (36)
    3. Unrepentant Geraldines (33)
    4. Forest Of Glass (26)
    5. 16 Shades of Blue (21)
    6. Selkie (20)
    7. Invisible Boy (17)
    8. Wedding Day (13)
    9. America (12)
    9. Wild Way (12)
    10. Troubles Lament (8)
    11. Rose Dover (7)
    12. Dixie (5)
    12. Promise (5)
    13. Giants Rolling Pin (2)
    14. White Telephone To God (1)
    15. Maids Of Elfen-Mere (0)
    Brilliant work! I always thought a poll would be a great addition to this thread.

Shocked by how high 16 Shades came out.I bet she's kicking herself she put on Pin instead of Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Yo Jupiter View Post
    Dixie only 5? Maids 0?
    Dixie actually does very little for me. I mean it's sweet, but ehhh

My opinion to those who can't get into the album is to stop listening to it for a while and come back to it later or throw in a few songs in a playlist of other songs you do like and maybe eventually they will hit you because to me this album is so different than anything she has done. The songs are just so beautiful.
    It feels like a third chapter in her career.

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    People. This sounds like behavioural therapy, the kind of thing employed to overcome some debilitating phobia or aversion. Please don't construct a five year plan to train yourself into liking something you don't like. That sounds way, way, way over-invested. You are having a subjective aesthetic response. You are not under contract to like everything Tori Amos releases.

Anyway. I'm still loving this album. I got the vinyl very recently (finally it turned up in the shops!) but haven't had a chance to spin it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Michael View Post
    People. This sounds like behavioural therapy, the kind of thing employed to overcome some debilitating phobia or aversion. Please don't construct a five year plan to train yourself into liking something you don't like. That sounds way, way, way over-invested. You are having a subjective aesthetic response. You are not under contract to like everything Tori Amos releases.

Anyway. I'm still loving this album. I got the vinyl very recently (finally it turned up in the shops!) but haven't had a chance to spin it yet.
    I know its gonna be blah blah vinyl fetishist...but the album really opens up in that format. I heard things in America for instance I never heard in my iTunes download. Its quite a lovely listen. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Michael View Post

Yeah this.Aside from piano tracks, i don't like the album that much and stopped caring about it.Why bother with something you don't like when you can discover new records that you will love ?
    the draught was the very worst

I think people who don't like the album should hook themselves up to some electric-wire-thingys, listen to the album again and give themselves electro-shocks whenever they feel non-adoration towards a song. That might help....

In all seriousness though, the piano tracks + America and Trouble's Lament are the only ones that I return to frequently. The other ones I check out once in a while, but don't get a special urge to listen to them.

I haven't listened to 16 Shades probably since the first couple of days after the leak/release. And I have no desire at all.
    Last edited by Yo Jupiter; 06-15-2014 at 07:43 PM.
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    I'm still quite pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoy the record and how often I find myself wanting to go and listen to it. That's not happened with a Tori album for me in a very long time.

I played a gig on Saturday night, and the first thing I wanted to listen to on my walk back through Dublin afterwards was Oysters, which surprised me, as I didn't realise it had crept up and grown on me so much, but it really hit home.

It's not a perfect record, but it's one that I really enjoy listening to. I kinda like the imperfections on the record, as it makes the whole thing a little more endearing or attractive to me, especially after the overly polished AATS.

I finally got my hands on my special edition (took me so long for reasons, I've been faithfully spotifying the album until now) and I've got two things to say:

1) it's super pretty

2) the lack of proper tracklist anywhere but on the disc itself is a bit confusing... I mean, at this point I don't need the tracklist anymore, but if I were a fresh listener, I would have NO idea what tracks are played when.

Well, and I have a proper copy of Forest of Glass Aw yiss.

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    I kinda like the imperfections on the record, as it makes the whole thing a little more endearing or attractive to me, especially after the overly polished AATS.
    Yes! The mistakes feel like they're failed experiments rather than shitty, safe choices with horrid production.

The last song to really click with me was Maids of Elfen-Mere. It's a beautiful and haunting little song. If I had to make a tracklist switch, I'd say that it should come right after Weatherman. They are thematically linked. Then it would be 16 Shades into Promise which I think works really well.

i've been put off of it just recently. I still like Wedding Day, UG, 16 Shades, and Dixie, but that's about it. Plus, I'd still consider it a beautifully done album, and her best in a LONG while. I don't really feel bad for not connecting with a lot of the songs. I heard them, wasn't repulsed and just listen to the ones I do like. End of.

My enjoyment of the album has only grown since it came out. I recognised it was definitely her best album in a long time, but couldn't get into it or into certain songs others seemed to love. Now I really really like it all the way through.

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    I'm trying to let it rest, to listen to other stuff in the meantime. And when I went back to it it was lovely. I noticed I tend to separate the more quirky tracks like 16 Shades, Rolling Pin, Promise and Rose Dover from the others. My boyfriends thinks that 16 Shades of Blue is the worst of the album (after uhm 3 listens). So far my favourites are America, Wedding Day, UG, Invisible Boy and Forest of Glass, but I really enjoy the whole album. As I said I tend to skip those 4 tracks, but it's not that I don't like them, I just don't feel the need to listen to them. Maybe 16 Shades and Rose Dover are the ones I'll go back to more frequently.
    I'm not fond of the tracklist order, I'm sooo bugged by the placement of Maids and Oysters! I think I'll burn my own version to listen while driving.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    I do recommend andy's suggestion of doing a playlist by booklet order. It's an interesting alternate tracklisting for sure, and knocks out some of that slower mid-section you get on the official tracklisting.