Page 134 of 190 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144184 ... LastLast
Results 1,996 to 2,010 of 2843

Thread: Unrepentant Geraldines: your reviews and impressions

I agree with the statement that UG is a really good EP. I like to merge this EP with Scarlet's Hidden Treasures for a REALLY strong full album

I think it's a good album if 16 Shades of Blue, GRP and Promise are replaced with Dixie and Forest.

I tried to justify Shades and Promise with fitting thematically, but nope. I find the former excrutiatingly dull and cringeworthily blunt (incl. the title), to the point that I'd rather listen to Cars and Guitars, Not Dying Today & co. And the latter is enjoyable musically, but too cheesy and I won't try to find excuses to like it just because it's Tori and because it's ''emotional'' and ''loving''. It's just Ribbons Undone vol. 2

I know that those three tracks also serve to break the potential slow piano ballad monotony, but honestly I'd rather have a ''more samey/difficult'' album to listen through than those three awkwardly breaking a nice flow.

Perfectly ok with them being B-sides or whatnot, just not on the album.

I'd put Forest of Glass after Weatherman and Dixie at the end, after Invisible Boy.
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

Quote Originally Posted by Yo Jupiter View Post
    I think it's a good album if 16 Shades of Blue, GRP and Promise are replaced with Dixie and Forest.

I tried to justify Shades and Promise with fitting thematically, but nope. I find the former excrutiatingly dull and cringeworthily blunt (incl. the title), to the point that I'd rather listen to Cars and Guitars, Not Dying Today & co. And the latter is enjoyable musically, but too cheesy and I won't try to find excuses to like it just because it's Tori and because it's ''emotional'' and ''loving''. It's just Ribbons Undone vol. 2

I know that those three tracks also serve to break the potential slow piano ballad monotony, but honestly I'd rather have a ''more samey/difficult'' album to listen through than those three awkwardly breaking a nice flow.

Perfectly ok with them being B-sides or whatnot, just not on the album.

I'd put Forest of Glass after Weatherman and Dixie at the end, after Invisible Boy.
    I agree with you (this week at least - I keep changing how I feel about UG). My least liked on the album right now is 16 Shades. I disliked it at first, then "got it" and loved it for 3 or 4 listens. Now I find it dull and it does not seem to fit on the album. I prefer GRP actually. I do love the rest of the album - but find 16 Shades and Promise (and I guess GRP) throw a wrench in things.
    Last edited by Beelust; 06-19-2014 at 03:07 AM.

Just a thought, but maybe...

Maids
    Promise
    Giant's Rolling Pin

is like...

Happy Phantom (quirky like GRP)
    China (sentimental like Promise)
    Leather (maids can be sexy)

... they kinda break up the amazing songs on the album a bit - but not everyone loves them

I do love Leather & China though - but I also love those UG songs. Ugghh Tori! Why are you such a ding-a-ling when it comes to track lists?!?!?!?
    Last edited by Beelust; 06-19-2014 at 02:43 AM.

I love 16 Shades. It's one of my favs off the album and it seems to be an overall top5 according to the poll of everyone's favourite tracks. It's currently 5th place for most liked song on the album. So I don't think it'll get replaced.

Yeah, I still don't understand how it can be so loved, while Maids is so disliked
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    I also prefer Maids (one of my friends told me it's her album favourite!), but I don't dislike 16 shades. I like it, it's just misplaced. In my playlist I placed it later in the tracklist and it works better. It's too weird to be in the middle of the record.

Sent from my GT-I8260 using Tapatalk
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

I adore Maids, it's one of my highlights on the album. Love the fairytale elements and the way she's treated the ideas musically. I do suspect it might have been written during the NOH sessions though. I had a little experiment with putting Maids and Forest of Glass into my NOH playlist and they both feel quite at home there.

I think it's too weird to be anywhere on the album (16 shades) maybe on some other album with different sounds etc, but here not that much. I usually always envision colors and sceneries with her albums (mostly related to what the cover looks like and what the general sound is) and this one just clashes with the rest.
    Last edited by Yo Jupiter; 06-19-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: was referring to 16 Shades, not Maids like it came off

Give me Maids any day over 16 Shades

I prefer Maids to 16 Shades too, but that's because I love Maids, not because I think 16 Shades is bad. I would remove neither of these two songs -- I think they belong there, exactly next to each other as they are placed, because they share a common theme: the black clocks are unstoppable and threatening in 16 Shades, and turning back the clock was what killed the Maids of Elfen Mere.
    Black Diamond finally confessed

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    I'm really surprised at the reaction to 16 Shades. It's one of her most honest songs in a really long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I'm really surprised at the reaction to 16 Shades. It's one of her most honest songs in a really long time.
    It IS honest. My problem with 16 Shades is that because of her sound it doesn't fit on this album. It sounds more like something from the ADP era.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

It's too bluntly honest for me. I mean, I totally get why she did it and why she put it on the album. But I don't know.

Maybe it's the kazillion interviews about turning 50, her aging and her convos with young people about their future etc., maybe it's the literal lyrics and naming the song directly after the painting, maybe the awkward production, the convenient bomb/clock sounds right after the lyrics, THE KAZOO. Or all of the above.

The literalness is on the same level as some Fori songs I won't mention because I'll get attacked for comparing it to them haha, but anyway, my point is that there are songs like for example Oysters, that deal with similar subject matter but feel much more nuanced and better expressed, while this one is too literal.
    And what waitressboy said, just doesn't fit sonically, and would fit better on either ADP and AATS.

I do like that she often plays it alongside Lady in Blue. Not only because of the ''blue'', but because in Lady she's all like ''I can play toooo'' and in 16 Shades there's also ''they say that I'm too old to play''. Probably not on purpose, but I like it, brings the two songs closer.

I love 16 Shades, all the different sounds, the kazoo and the ticking sounds...I think it's one of her best songs in a long time. I think it was time for her to be honest and blunt about the issue of aging, and I'm glad she was so straightforward.

I don't hear ADP on 16 Shades, but then again, I actually really like a number of songs off that album too (GD, Smokey Joe, Dragon, Father's Son and others), so the comparison wouldn't bother me much.

But I think 16 Shades totally fits this album.

I also love Maids too!