Page 173 of 192 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175183 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,595 of 2871

Thread: Unrepentant Geraldines: your reviews and impressions

I listened the cd a couple of times since last Weekend, and there are two songs that i don't like at all: Giant's Rolling Pin (no surprises here) and... the title track. The first is so empty, it sounds so dead, Dead a la AATS, that is just embarrasing. And the second part goes nowhere, she repeating the same thing over and over and over again.
    I used to like thst song, i don't know what happened that made me change my mind.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    "Invisible Boy" barely gets mentioned round here and IDGI.
    It destroys me, personally. Even though I think she sounds a bit too precious, I think it's completely sincere and I relate to the song like WHOA.

There really only are two songs I severely dislike on this record, GRP and Promise. And that great thing about that is, I can add Forest of Glass and Dixie and it's an even better record.

Rose Dover is hit or miss for me, but I wouldn't take it off the record. I just feel that lyrically, there are moments of ham-fistedness. But then the verses sort of save it.

Invisible Boy is my favourite off the album, and it destroys me too as I have my very own Invisible Boy. I don't know if it's because people associate it with manchildren, or even Mark!Yono, but it's a beautiful song to me!

My edited tracklisting goes like this:

01. America
    02. Trouble's Lament
    03. Wedding Day
    04. Weatherman
    05. 16 Shades of Blue
    06. Promise
    07. White Telephone to God
    08. Selkie
    09. Unrepentant Geraldines
    10. Oysters
    11. Forest of Glass
    12. Invisible Boy

For me, this version is absolutely on par with some of her best work.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Invisible Boy wrecks me every time. It's just a beautiful song.

I actually love Rose Dover. I think its a weird song but its not weird in a bad way, its weird in the most random WTF Tori way. I love this bit:

Happy was Rose Dover
    Speaking badger, fawn, rabbit
    (Behind the lumberjacks)
    Pondering the dilemma
    At the Redwood conference

! I just absolutely love this - its so evocative of childhood.

My album edit would replace GRP with White Telephone to God. I am not sure where I'd put Forest of Glass on the tracklisting...I actually kind of like it as a b-side. It's a fabulous Bside! As is Dixie. I just really like this album.

I love that bit, too. It reminds me of the Redwall books. I loved those when I was younger.

YES! I used to love those books, too.

Invisible Boy is beautiful but I can only get so into it bc of all the Mark references. With 1000 Oceans, it's more universal. But I don't want to hear about Mark's stupid motorcycle.

I don't really seek this album out as often as I do her 90s work, but when the songs come up on shuffle I really REALLY enjoy them. Especially Wedding Day, Weatherman, UG, Oysters,and Dixie.

I don't quite 'get' Invisible Boy. I mean, I can think about it and know the theme or whatever, but I don't have an emotional connection to it right now. Maybe later.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post
    I don't quite 'get' Invisible Boy. I mean, I can think about it and know the theme or whatever, but I don't have an emotional connection to it right now. Maybe later.
    Same. Also agree with CF that she goes just a bit too precious on it. Not a huge hit for me, personally (but not offensive like Not Dying Today or something).

I think the vocal melodies in UG, the song, are some of her most beautiful. So mideval.

I listened to this earlier, haven't spun my vinyl since I upgraded my turntable a few months ago. It's flawless, it really is. Even though I've played this vinyl several times on my old low end turntable, the warmth and intimacy of this record has never been so apparent. The vocals on Wedding Day are insanely gorgeous. Weatherman is hands down one of the best things she's ever done. Trouble's Lament has a lot more bombast than I realized. You can tell there's legit bass drums being played on it. Promise, while I don't like the song, has amazing instrumentation. Probably her best organ sound on record so far. I wish the organ had sounded like this on TBK. GRP still sounds like a Dora The Explorer song, though.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cunter Fartlett View Post
    GRP still sounds like a Dora The Explorer song, though.
    So funny. And true! GRP and NDT - NDT is her worst song. I can't even make myself listen to it straight through. Forget about the lyrics, on a purely musical level, it's so unbelievably cheesy to me. And then you throw in the lyrics, where she literally asks the question "What the Hell?!" which is quite on the nose, I'd say. GRP is not much better at all. Yes Anastasia and NDT. GRP and Blood Roses. It's irreconcilable really.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    So funny. And true! GRP and NDT - NDT is her worst song. I can't even make myself listen to it straight through. Forget about the lyrics, on a purely musical level, it's so unbelievably cheesy to me. And then you throw in the lyrics, where she literally asks the question "What the Hell?!" which is quite on the nose, I'd say. GRP is not much better at all. Yes Anastasia and NDT. GRP and Blood Roses. It's irreconcilable really.
    I refuse to believe that she actually wrote that song. I actually literally do not understand the person who did. It feels like she was abducted by a space alien. A space alien who writes really, really shitty music.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I refuse to believe that she actually wrote that song. I actually literally do not understand the person who did. It feels like she was abducted by a space alien. A space alien who writes really, really shitty music.
    I know, right? I mean, I was six feet under, full of thunder when I read the lyrics to Not Dying Today. I was like, "hey I need to think about that."
    Yeah, I thought about that and I said,
    "What the Hell?"

no really. WHAT THE HELL